TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J. Rogers

Is there a team so hated by its own league

Well at least we know the draft wasn't rigged!

But seriously, this is shades of that arbitration ruling that gave the Flyers Eric Lindros!

Always seemed like there has been an Anti-Ranger bias in the NHL in terms of "letting the Rangers completely self destruct" and not letting them get better

I don't think this kind of attitude exist anywhere in any other sport. Usually the hatred of other teams in other sports are fans only or just against a specfic person (i.e. Al Davis) not the specfic team

Not to sound New York centric but shouldn't the NHL WANT the Rangers to be in the mix? Biggest market in the US, Original Six member and the flagship team in the market If the Rangers are good, then their attendance/ratings are up

Ah what the hell, 49 more years untill the next Cup huh?

Steve

Not to sound New York centric but shouldn't the NHL WANT the Rangers to be in the mix?  Biggest market in the US, Original Six member and the flagship team in the market  If the Rangers are good, then their attendance/ratings are up

Wait ... are you implying that the NHL really should have rigged it so the Rangers got Crosby?

Considering that no team is as responsible for the situation that the league was in (e.g. overpaying for players) than I think even if they were going to rig it, they'd have rigged it against NYR.

And trust me, outside of NY, fans aren't more or less likely to watch a hockey game based on how the Rangers are doing.

Always seemed like there has been an Anti-Ranger bias in the NHL in terms of "letting the Rangers completely self destruct" and not letting them get better
And what the fuck does that mean? What should the league have done? "Sorry, Slats, you can't sign Kasparaitis or Holik, you're WAYYYYYY overpaying for them."

Guest Olympic Slam

I was hoping the Rangers would get Crosby. Let us all remember that the big U.S hockey boom of the mid 90's was partly because of the Rangers cup win. A good NY team is good for business even if it is funny watching them fall on their face year after year.

But, as a Lemieux and Penguins mark from back in the day, I'm very excited that Crosby will be playing along side Mario. Too bad its 2005 and not 1995 in Pittsburgh. I'm just glad Columbus, Florida or one those teams didn't win the lottery.

Yes it was. Here's a guy who's compared most favorably to Mario Lemieux...who just happens to own the Penguins, where Sidney's headed. It just wasn't rigged in the way that you wanted.

But seriously, this is shades of that arbitration ruling that gave the Flyers Eric Lindros!

And look at how good that did the Flyers. 0 Cups after giving away 6 players and around 4 million in cash.

OK, let me get this straight. Since Glen Sather can't control his spending, it becomes the NHL's fault? Did the NHL make Sather sign Holik to that contract? Did they force Sather to trade for Jaromir Jagr and his bloated salary? Nope. Blame Sather for his ineptitude.

I don't think this kind of attitude exist anywhere in any other sport.  Usually the hatred of other teams in other sports are fans only or just against a specfic person (i.e. Al Davis) not the specfic team

Unless you live in the big cities, those teams are always hated by the rest of the league because they are seen as more successful in that they can lure free agents there easier.

Not to sound New York centric but shouldn't the NHL WANT the Rangers to be in the mix?  Biggest market in the US, Original Six member and the flagship team in the market  If the Rangers are good, then their attendance/ratings are up

That last part can be said about any franchise in North America. And I hate to break it to you, but the Rangers haven't mattered worth shit in the last 7-8 years because they haven't been a serious contender.

Probably. And good, since there are teams who haven't won in longer.

THEY DO IT TO THEMSELVES BECAUSE THE TEAM IS POORLY OPERATED

What the hell is the league supposed to do? Block their "washed-up star for a handful of draft picks" trades? I can't believe the NHL tries to make the Rangers suck. They're just a bad club.

Wait ... are you implying that the NHL really should have rigged it so the Rangers got Crosby?

Well at least find a way to get the Rangers in the top TEN of the draft order. In a normal year 15 is an early exit from the playoff's slot, and we know the Rangers haven't done shit in that department for 8 years now

Yes it was. Here's a guy who's compared most favorably to Mario Lemieux...who just happens to own the Penguins, where Sidney's headed. It just wasn't rigged in the way that you wanted.

Oh GOD! So how convultued is Super Mario going to make the contract so that its so backloaded that its 20 years and not 15 years untill he becomes a member of the ATM on Skates?

And look at how good that did the Flyers. 0 Cups after giving away 6 players and around 4 million in cash.

True, that does rank as a "Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make" Course that was before the "Sign anyone with a name for riddculous amounts of money" time period.

Though I think we did have a better offer on the table, and who really knows...

That last part can be said about any franchise in North America. And I hate to break it to you, but the Rangers haven't mattered worth shit in the last 7-8 years because they haven't been a serious contender.

Yeah but if they were making the playoffs, or were in contention for the playoffs, then the Rangers would "matter" But the point I'm trying to make is that the NHL and the Rangers (and by the same token the Habs, Leafs, Bruins, Hawks, and Red Wings) need to be doing well for the other to really be successfull

Probably. And good, since there are teams who haven't won in longer.

I didn't say we NEED another Cup celebration at the Garden for the NHL to come back, that was me being exasperated with the last 10 seasons of complete inepetude and imcompetence since winning our first Cup in 54 years

Yeah I know those chants are coming. Nine-Teen-Nine-ty-FOUR!

I need some beers....

Cheer up. The Rangers have a good shot at getting the first pick next draft and ending up with Phil Kessel. One of the best US born prospects of all-time and would of probably been the 2nd overall pick if he was in this draft.

et us all remember that the big U.S hockey boom of the mid 90's was partly because of the Rangers cup win.  A good NY team is good for business even if it is funny watching them fall on their face year after year.

Let us all remember that the Cup Finals with Vancouver was probably the best series in the last 15 or 20 years, save Vancouver/Calgary last spring.

Guest Ether

How could anyone say it was rigged? It was agreed that each team got 1 ball plus 1 ball for each year in the past three that the team did not make the playoffs. The Penguins, Rangers, Blue Jackets, and some other team I can't remember each had an equal chance. Besides, Ovechkin was almost as highly regarded the previous year, and the Capitals got him despite "only" finishing 3rd from last.

As far as the league hating them, I wouldn't go that far, although I'm sure most of the ridiculous contracts they had a habit of handing out made most owners and GM's cringe.

Personally, I've always detested them because: a. They are in the same division as the Penguins, b. I hate all New York sports teams, and more recently c. I feel they had a lot to do with the salary problem (although they weren't the only ones). I would guess a lot of people share b and c.

The negative publicity that would come about with a draft rigging is the last thing hockey needs. Think what might have happened to baseball if the steroid scandal came about in 1995.

And yes, I would agree the Expos are the number "winner" to the question.

Guest Ether
et us all remember that the big U.S hockey boom of the mid 90's was partly because of the Rangers cup win.  A good NY team is good for business even if it is funny watching them fall on their face year after year.

Let us all remember that the Cup Finals with Vancouver was probably the best series in the last 15 or 20 years, save Vancouver/Calgary last spring.

Wasn't it the first or second Stanley Cup final natioanlly covered in 10 years since previously the NHL had the genius idea to have a contract with SportsChannel America instead of ESPN, because Sportschannel was willing to pay three times the amount but had one-tenth the viewership, so in the late 80's-early 90's practically nobody was able to watch hockey's grandest event.

Also, I'm assuming you meant Tampa Bay/Calgary.

But, as a Lemieux and Penguins mark from back in the day, I'm very excited that Crosby will be playing along side Mario.

Lemieux still plays?! You've got to be kidding me....

Next time you create a thread use a title that actually makes sense. Read your title and your sub-heading out loud, if that sounds like something you would say you are a moron.

Lemieux still plays?! You've got to be kidding me....

:bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

:spank: :spank: :spank: :spank:

D'OH!

Note to self, stop posting threads quickly...

I'm presuming you mean why is Columbus one of the ones that had a good chance at Crosby, Gert ... and it's just because they a) haven't made the playoffs in the last 3 years and b) haven't earned the #1 pick in that time, either.

If you mean something else, I have no idea.

Ahhh, I get it now, Czech.

I really have no issues with Columbus being in the league, but I think the league should watch those cities with a close eye and when the novelty of having a new team wears off, and fans stop coming, then the team should fold. Cities like Boston & Chicago have shitty attendance because their owners are cheap pricks, not just because the team wasn't a winner.

Boston's attendance is weird to me, because it's a sports town. Actually, it's a sports area. I went to a PawSox game when I was up there in May. It was 45 degrees outside and the place was fucking PACKED. But, I agree with nl5 here about Jacobs being a cheap prick and that causing the attendance problems.

gill723.jpg

Hal Gill shakes the devil's hand.

Jeremy Jacobs is a cancer to Boston hockey. I really do have to admire the balls he has when he gives interviews talking as if the Bruins were a ship bleeding for money. Of course in truth the B's have been one of the most profitable teams over the past few years. The reason for this of course is the astronomical prices of the tix as the Fleet, excuse me TD Banknorth Garden. They may play to a 3/4 to 1/2 full arena, but it's fine because of the price the people in attendance paid. As an added bonus to Jacobs the bargain teams he put on the ice over the years made the playoffs giving him extra money to not put back into the team. 2004 of course was a little different as he went all out to try for the cup, but his money spent was for naught.

Anyway that ends my rant on Jacobs.

What's so bad about Columbus? From what I understand, they actually have a pretty strong fanbase. Their jersey could be better, but so could half the teams in the league. I like Columbus where they are. Carolina, on the other hand, ugh. Should really be moved to Winnipeg.

Here is a good article about Columbus, actually. They have excellent attendance for a non-playoff team, a large base of season ticket holders. Good stuff.

Guest Olympic Slam
Why is Columbus one of those franchises?

Basically what I mean is, one of the cities that won't whip the U.S into a national frenzy over a future Gretzky being there. So you can put Columbus into the same column as every west coast team but the Kings, all the Canadian teams, and especially those Southeast expansion/wandering/loser teams (hi Washington!). Columbus is unfortunately another one of the many teams with no history or aura around it.

For Crosby to make a dent for hockey on the U.S scene he would have needed to go to: the Kings or the Rangers. He could have gone on Leno or Letterman, ect. At least when Crosby wears the skating Penguin crest there will be some history.

I mean it could have been worse for the NHL, Crosby could be wearing a jersey crest with an angry sabretooth tiger, shark or Donald Duck goalie mask.

I maintain that they never ever ever should've left Twin Cities/Quebec City/Winnipeg/Hartford. Maybe then we wouldn't have all this trouble.

I often lay awake at night wishing the Whalers were still with us.