TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

In my junior year of high school, I took AP US history, which was the most rigorous class that my school offered by far. The teacher, Doug Johnson (Dougie, Doug, D-dog, Big D, or Dougie J for short), introduced himself as kind of this funny fat man whose ringtone was "Margaritaville." As time passed on, the workload became increasingly difficult and his grading was so hard-assed that only 1 person managed to get an A the entire semester. Everyone kind of hated him.

Then he threw us a big party after the AP test and we were best bros again.

In my AP US History class, I got called to the principal's office because our teacher asked us to do teacher evaluations, that were supposed to be anonymous.

We still had the biggest turnout for Obama, I think, or close to it, and it was way more spread out than a football stadium could be- and trust me, you could hear everyone just fine, this is without being in any sort of venue.

It just seemed they were trying to put out the absolute impossible worst case scenario. Like last night they were begging Bill Clinton to subliminally attack Obama, then when he didnt, his speech was "Ok" or the Karl Rove, "He didnt do enough" or that annoying nitpicking they do when it was obvious Bill brought the house down.

Despite the fact that they're trying to portray him as a "Fox New Contributor," which they probably want us to think is akin to being a news analyst, Rove is really nothing more than a Republican operative trying to spin things to make everything the Democrats do sound bad. He's not calling it like he sees it at all, he's reworking what happened to fit his point of view. This is different than journalists like Fred Barnes or Juan Williams, who probably actually believe what they're saying, even if it is biased.

Can somone-anyone-please shut Alex Jones up? He is driving me crazy.

Al Gore: "Eight years ago, pepole said their was no major difference between the two candidates." Whose fault was that Al?

Just think, if Gore won in 2000, we could be looking at a Libermann presidencty. At least one good thing came out of W's 2000 win.

Oh, look, it's Michael McDonald. I would rather watch "Beautician And The Beast" than listen to Michael McDonald. I would rather listen to Fran Drescher for eight hours than have to listen to Michael McDonald. Nothin' against him, but if I hear "Yah Mo B There" one more time, "Yah Mo" burn this place to the ground.

In other news...

Republican presidential candidate John McCain decided on a running mate early Thursday, and one top prospect, Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, abruptly canceled numerous public appearances.

The Arizona senator will appear with his No. 2 at an Ohio rally on Friday, aides said, though they provided no details on McCain's pick.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080828/ap_on_.../cvn_veepstakes

Guest WhackingCockDick

Hey, Warren G knew what he was doing.

This will be the greatest speech in American history. Canadian history, too.

Guest WhackingCockDick
Okay, problem with the venue #1...trying to get all these people to shut up.

My rebuttal is O-ba-ma. O-ba-ma. O-ba-ma. O-ba-ma. O-ba-ma. O-ba-ma. O-ba-ma. O-ba-ma. O-ba-ma. O-ba-ma. O-ba-ma. O-ba-ma. O-ba-ma.

Guest WhackingCockDick

I've been converted. This is amazing. There will be thousands of babies born nine months from tonight. I would give my life for this man.

Guest Smues

Considering over 4 million kids are born each year in the U.S., which comes out to over 10,000 per day, I would say your statement is accurate.

Guest WhackingCockDick

Oh, these things always have terrible music. I heard too much Kool and the Gang and Pointer Sisters at this thing.

Chris Matthews sounds like he's gonna cry again. Ah, infotainment.

After his 2 acceptance speeches, Bill Clinton used "Don't Stop" by Fleetwood Mac in 1992, and "Beginnings" by Chicago in 1996. Those are both good songs.

I was very pleased with the speech. He hit every point he needed to, and did so with conviction. He also did my favorite thing from his speech 4 years ago: he acknowledged that there are people who disagree with him in a respectful way, and invited them to work together with him toward the same goals. I'm also pleased with the venue....the sight of him in front of 75,000 supporters was striking.

I like the choice of horrible country music to play to white dudes who drive F150s. I was rooting for "Bring da Ruckus" myself.

"Ain't No Fun (If The Homies Can't Have None)"

After his 2 acceptance speeches, Bill Clinton used "Don't Stop" by Fleetwood Mac in 1992, and "Beginnings" by Chicago in 1996. Those are both good songs.

No man, Chicago sucks.

Obama didn't say anything I hadn't heard a million times before, but he did say it very well. Went after McCain harder than I expected. And was it just me, or did it seem like he wasn't using either notes or a teleprompter at all?

An interesting little experiment: directly after the speech ended, I flipped back and forth between Fox News and MSNBC. Whoever was talking on Fox kinda sorta praised the speech in a restrained manner, saying he obviously won over this giant crowd here, subtly slipped in just one or two minor jabs at liberals, before basically just saying "ah, the hell with it" and shutting up for several minutes while all the fireworks and confetti went everywhere. I liked that, no real bitching about the opposing side, relatively gracious. (Although they did get in one bit of dickwaving; on the TVGuide menu, every other channel called this "Democratic National Convention", while Fox instead went with "America's Election HQ".) Meanwhile, over at MSNBC? Olbermann and whoever just screaming Obama's speaking points back for us, over and over again, like we hadn't just watched the goddamn speech ourselves. Yeesh that was way past annoying. I remember I used to like Olbermann a while back; has he just gotten this much worse, or was he always a douche and I just never noticed?

Guest WhackingCockDick

No man, Chicago sucks.

Eat shit. Their first two albums are amazing. However, eventually,

hgn-11-02-25.jpg

The worst part about MSNBC's coverage is that they have the gallery of red-faced dopes behind Chris and Keith, who are mic'd up so they can be pandered to by the hosts for loud cheering.

An interesting little experiment: directly after the speech ended, I flipped back and forth between Fox News and MSNBC.

I did this too. Fox News was silent when I went over. Dead silent. I went over to MSNBC and Chris Matthews said something like "I know people have gotten mad at me for saying he inspires me but if you didn't think he knocked this out of the park you're full of crap!" WOOOOOOOOOO

I think there's a channel or two where they actually broadcast these things without the dumbass commentary.

Yeah, PBS was doing that more than the others, probably one of the CSPANs too.

Obama didn't say anything I hadn't heard a million times before, but he did say it very well. Went after McCain harder than I expected. And was it just me, or did it seem like he wasn't using either notes or a teleprompter at all?

An interesting little experiment: directly after the speech ended, I flipped back and forth between Fox News and MSNBC. Whoever was talking on Fox kinda sorta praised the speech in a restrained manner, saying he obviously won over this giant crowd here, subtly slipped in just one or two minor jabs at liberals, before basically just saying "ah, the hell with it" and shutting up for several minutes while all the fireworks and confetti went everywhere. I liked that, no real bitching about the opposing side, relatively gracious. (Although they did get in one bit of dickwaving; on the TVGuide menu, every other channel called this "Democratic National Convention", while Fox instead went with "America's Election HQ".) Meanwhile, over at MSNBC? Olbermann and whoever just screaming Obama's speaking points back for us, over and over again, like we hadn't just watched the goddamn speech ourselves. Yeesh that was way past annoying. I remember I used to like Olbermann a while back; has he just gotten this much worse, or was he always a douche and I just never noticed?

You missed Brit Hume droppin' the ole 'barack hussein obama' full middle name :lol:

I think, if I remember correctly, in 2004 John Kerry used Springsteen's "No Surrender" as his entrance music, and "Beautiful Day" by U2 at the end.

What were the songs used tonight? I couldn't tell or didn't recognize them.

Republicans complaining about or criticizing Obama's speech tonight are going to sound as convincing as people who hated The Dark Knight, but went and saw Mama Mia! 2 or 3 times.

No man, Kerry used "Dreams" by Van Hagar at the end of his speech. WE'LL GET HIGHER AND HIGHER, STRAIGHT UP WE'LL CLIMB, WE'LL GET HIGHER AND HIGHER, LEAVE IT ALL BEHIND Man that ruled.

Sign in to follow this