TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

Is it fair to guess that Marvin just doesn't get why racism is such a big issue?

Speaking of people saying stupid things, Andrew Romano of Newsweek has a full recap on the spatial relationship between Joe Biden's foot and his mouth.

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/stumper/arc...fe-machine.aspx

I get it..its that dirty little secret that still lurks around in America despite the fact that the majority of Americans have gotten past it. My mother is one of those lifelong democrats and she now is the proud owner of a John McCain sign that I had to put out in her yard for her. She also asked me to describe what Sarah Palin look to her (since you know, shes blind) and I sort of just left in the akward silence. The crazy thing is, I know she at one point in her life was friends with many black people. I know she REALLY wanted Hillary Clinton to win (she was running on and on about how Hillary should be president back when Bill was still the president) so maybe shes really pissed off but I doubt that can be all of the blame. I dont talk to her enough and dont want to, but anyway.

Not to dig up the race issue again, but I find it funny that the media comes out and goes nuts over White People supporting McCain by a 10-20 percent margin depending on the poll and trounces all over white people for being racists, and yet a poll also came out that showed black People are supporting Obama over McCain by like 90+ percent and they're just being a part of history or something... You cant have it both ways though..

I think your affiliation comes from a thirst for cut and dry, easily digested platitudes rather than the nuances that are necessary for something like the Presidency of the United States. This is not to say that you're dumb, but you lack patience.

To summarize: Pointing out that some whites support McCain due to racism is an intelligent, well thought-out point; however, bringing up African Americans' far more tilted support of Obama as potential racism is "lacking patience."

So anyone who doesn't share your viewpoint simply isn't as smart? Interesting. What a totalitarian view of things.

No, all the talk of racism in voting is worthless in the first place. Your verve for something that's only two-sided to hop onto as a talking point when there are actual issues is sad. I expect some people to not vote for Obama because he's black, and to claim it's some kind of story is pathetic. Democrats who follow that pattern are pieces of shit that I'd rather were voting for someone else anyway. Non-story.

Cute use of "totalitarian" too. Is there anything the Right can talk about without using hyperbole?

Another McCain stunt...I'm watching on CNN right now that McCain appearently has suspended his campaign and has called for a delay to Friday's debate with Obama so they could "come together" and deal with the economic crisis.

Another McCain stunt...I'm watching on CNN right now that McCain appearently has suspended his campaign and has called for a delay to Friday's debate with Obama so they could "come together" and deal with the economic crisis.

Is this a stunt, or a senator merely desiring to do his job? Realistically, both of them should have been back in D.C. weeks ago to help deal with this. I'm pretty sure the public would've understood, given the scenario.

***waits to be ripped for disagreeing***

Is this a stunt, or a senator merely desiring to do his job? Realistically, both of them should have been back in D.C. weeks ago to help deal with this. I'm pretty sure the public would've understood, given the scenario.

I'd be a little more inclined to agree with you if McCain didn't spend yesterday at a plant talking about solar panels and then all of a sudden, today, it's the end of the world and we need to delay everything and go to Washington. It would also be a little more believable if his poll numbers weren't going down the toilet.

Not to dig up the race issue again, but I find it funny that the media comes out and goes nuts over White People supporting McCain by a 10-20 percent margin depending on the poll and trounces all over white people for being racists, and yet a poll also came out that showed black People are supporting Obama over McCain by like 90+ percent and they're just being a part of history or something... You cant have it both ways though..

I think your affiliation comes from a thirst for cut and dry, easily digested platitudes rather than the nuances that are necessary for something like the Presidency of the United States. This is not to say that you're dumb, but you lack patience.

To summarize: Pointing out that some whites support McCain due to racism is an intelligent, well thought-out point; however, bringing up African Americans' far more tilted support of Obama as potential racism is "lacking patience."

So anyone who doesn't share your viewpoint simply isn't as smart? Interesting. What a totalitarian view of things.

No, all the talk of racism in voting is worthless in the first place. Your verve for something that's only two-sided to hop onto as a talking point when there are actual issues is sad. I expect some people to not vote for Obama because he's black, and to claim it's some kind of story is pathetic. Democrats who follow that pattern are pieces of shit that I'd rather were voting for someone else anyway. Non-story.

Cute use of "totalitarian" too. Is there anything the Right can talk about without using hyperbole?

I'm not a member of the Right; I'm a member of the Middle. Every political quiz I've ever taken has put me in the middle of things. I'm a fiscal liberal (example: I favor high taxes for the wealthy to help the poor, and at least some degree of public health care), but a moral conservative (example: I think abortion should be outlawed, except in cases of rape or incest). So, good try, but not quite.

I work in the financial industry. Since I come to work every day expecting the market to wildly fluctuate and panic our customers, it's clearly a non-story? That's obviously not a great comparison, but still -- do you honestly disregard all news as non-news if you think it's expected? Or is it just a convenient way to sidestep the discussion?

I'd be a little more inclined to agree with you if McCain didn't spend yesterday at a plant talking about solar panels and then all of a sudden, today, it's the end of the world and we need to delay everything and go to Washington. It would also be a little more believable if his poll numbers weren't going down the toilet.

I'm sure it is political ploy, too, but I'm just saying it might not be. For example: Obama voted with the Democratic party over 90% of the time during his time in the US Senate, but says he wants to work across party lines; do I trust his sentiment, or view it as a political ploy?

***waits to be ripped for disagreeing***

It's not consistent with the McCain we've been presented with thus far. It wasn't that long ago he was talking about how strong our economy supposedly is and his advisor called us all a nation of whiners. Of course it's a stunt (kudos to CubbyBr as well, couldn't have said it better).

panthermatt, Dick Lugar was and still is a Republican. I know you like to believe that Obama has never worked on any legislation because you read it on the internet, or something, but the facts disagree with you. One of the people he worked on legislation with was the aforementioned Dick Lugar.

I don't recall a more weak campaign move than what John McCain is doing right now. After being in DC for a few decades, he decides he wants to finally do something in the midst of his own presidential campaign. How can this even be defended? Imagine if Reagan would've pleaded not to debate Carter in 1980 because of the Iran hostages or if Bob Dole would have stayed in the Senate and said, "Bob Dole's busy, you go on without me Bill."

If you want to be a Senator, be a Senator. If you want to be President, you run for it even when you're losing. If you want to do something about the economy, you should've done it when you had decades to work on it.

Yet neither will actually vote on the bill, so whats the point?

I don't recall a more weak campaign move than what John McCain is doing right now. After being in DC for a few decades, he decides he wants to finally do something in the midst of his own presidential campaign. How can this even be defended? Imagine if Reagan would've pleaded not to debate Carter in 1980 because of the Iran hostages or if Bob Dole would have stayed in the Senate and said, "Bob Dole's busy, you go on without me Bill."

If you want to be a Senator, be a Senator. If you want to be President, you run for it even when you're losing. If you want to do something about the economy, you should've done it when you had decades to work on it.

If I recall correctly (and I do), we didn't have the "bad" mortgage issues prior to President Clinton lowering the standards to obtain them. So that's somewhat of a valid point, but McCain had nominal responsibility in that case.

But you did bring up a point that irks me: I hate when candidates run as "I'm goinG to change Washington, and do what's right for the middle class!" No, you're going to get caught up in the same heirarchical games and folly that everyone else has.

Debate is happening. The debate committee made a statement that it's still going on. UMiss says it's still going on. This is the first time these guys have strongly taken a position they can't fold on without looking bad, and it looks like the advantage is Obama. And the media is playing his "a President should be able to do two things at the same time" line in heavy rotation.

I think you may have actually seen the first debate exchange before the debates actually started. God only knows what the polls tomorrow will show.

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport...32-9dd6b2df8c02

Immediately after John McCain's announcement 3 pm ET today, Wednesday 09/24/08, that he was suspending his campaign and seeking to postpone Friday's schedule presidential debate, SurveyUSA interviewed 1,000 adults nationwide. Key findings:

A majority of Americans say the debate should be held. Just 10% say the debate should be postponed. A sizable percentage of Americans, 36%, think the focus of the debate should be modified to focus more on the economy. 3 of 4 Americans say the presidential campaign should continue. Just 14% say the presidential campaign should be suspended. If Friday's debate does not take place 46%, of Americans say that would be bad for America.

Debate is happening. The debate committee made a statement that it's still going on. UMiss says it's still going on. This is the first time these guys have strongly taken a position they can't fold on without looking bad, and it looks like the advantage is Obama. And the media is playing his "a President should be able to do two things at the same time" line in heavy rotation.

I think you may have actually seen the first debate exchange before the debates actually started. God only knows what the polls tomorrow will show.

It won't be much of a debate if McCain doesn't show up.

I look forward to the Barack Obama Media Love In Hour.

McCain comes off looking much better if hes in DC doing his job as a Senator while Obama is sitting in Mississippi talking about himself instead of doing his job as a Senator as well.

McCain comes off looking much better if hes in DC doing his job as a Senator while Obama is sitting in Mississippi talking about himself instead of doing his job as a Senator as well.

If McCain doesn't show up, then Obama deserves to have an uninterrupted hour to make his case.

And McCain "doing his job" is vastly overshadowed by this perception that he's running away from a debate (where chances are he's going to be creamed) while his numbers (finally) sink.

This reminds me of Al Gore in 2000 rushing back to preside over the Senate and making a big stink out of it in front of the media. Until one of them asked "Isn't that your job?"

And yes, Marvin. If they hold the debate I'm sure that McCain won't show up.

Seriously. What is wrong with you?

MccCain DOES NOT come off looking better in any way. It's been hammered over and over that just one week ago McCain said that the fundementals of the economy are still strong. And now a week later things are so bad that the first debate needs to be postponed? No one will buy it.

Sign in to follow this