TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

Bill Clinton was two presidential terms ago.

Welcome to actual economics, versus those presented in political arenas. The lowering of mortgage requirements led to millions of people committing to huge adjustable-rate mortgages, and when they couldn't afford them any more... welcome to the 'trickle-down effect.'

No, not Reagan's. This one was real, not just a silly excuse for giving the rich a tax break.

Maybe i'm just crazy but the whole Adjustable Rate Mortgage idea just seems incredibly dumb in the first place. Anyone who is getting screwed by those desevres everything they get. It's like gambling with your home.

Maybe i'm just crazy but the whole Adjustable Rate Mortgage idea just seems incredibly dumb in the first place. Anyone who is getting screwed by those desevres everything they get. It's like gambling with your home.

I've seen some extremely smart people get burned by bad mortgages they got during the recent housing boom. It's not as cut and dry as the media is making it out to be. The assertion that people were buying more than they could afford is technically true, but it wasn't exactly presented that way to them in the first place. Blame should fall at the hands of the mortgage brokers first, not the uninformed buyers.

I don't quite get the analogy to gambling.

Marvin buys it. So SOMEONE is buying it.

Its not like the election is next tuesday and theres no time to reschedule the debate. They could reschedule if they wanted to.

And yes, the economy is more important than an hour for a debate that will likely not answer any questions about either candidate that the people who are still undecided could have.

Its not like the election is next tuesday and theres no time to reschedule the debate. They could reschedule if they wanted to.

Next week is the VP debate. Then the week after that is the town hall debate. Then after that the economic debate. This would put the foreign policy debate basically one week before the election. If they want to placate McCain and let him get in the last word by putting foreign policy at the end, they can swap it and talk the economy now. But, debates happen. They happened during WWII, they can happen during this.

If you can't talk on television while handling a crisis at the same time, what kind of President are you?

And yes, the economy is more important than an hour for a debate that will likely not answer any questions about either candidate that the people who are still undecided could have.

The McCain campaign is now suggesting that they move Friday's debate to October 2nd which is the date of, you guessed it, the VP debate between Biden and Palin. So McCain wants to debate Obama on October 2nd and move the VP debate to a later date so he could go to congress and rescue the country. This election can't get any better :lol:

EDIT: Nice BPS.. ya beat me to it!

Guest Vitamin X

Right, because the Senate absolutely positively needs these two guys for those few hours on one day that they will be in Mississippi. Without their attendance, the economy will tumble completely.

I've seen some extremely smart people get burned by bad mortgages they got during the recent housing boom. It's not as cut and dry as the media is making it out to be. The assertion that people were buying more than they could afford is technically true, but it wasn't exactly presented that way. Blame should fall at the hands of the mortgage brokers first, nut the buyers.

A lot of the smart people got burned because they thought the housing market would keep booming and they could keep flipping houses every couple years and make money selling and borrowing against the value of the house. Now their stuck in a house upside down (worth less than they owe) that they can't sell either.

The people that got stuck with ARMs probably would otherwise never have been able to get a house in the first place, so I cant blame them for going after the American dream of owning a house if they were given the oppertunity to.

Worse than ARMs are the interest only mortgages for the first 5 years (only paying on the interest, not principle) and people taking 30+ year long mortgage terms.

If McCain was still up 5 points and not way behind on the economy as an issue, this doesn't happen, period.

Picked this up off of drudge:

Then in the middle of the taping Dave got word that McCain was, in fact just down the street being interviewed by Katie Couric. Dave even cut over to the live video of the interview, and said, "Hey Senator, can I give you a ride home?"

Earlier in the show, Dave kept saying, "You don't suspend your campaign. This doesn't smell right. This isn't the way a tested hero behaves." And he joked: "I think someone's putting something in his metamucil."

"He can't run the campaign because the economy is cratering? Fine, put in your second string quarterback, Sara Palin. Where is she?"

"What are you going to do if you're elected and things get tough? Suspend being president? We've got a guy like that now!"

:lol: That's tremendous.

I've seen some extremely smart people get burned by bad mortgages they got during the recent housing boom. It's not as cut and dry as the media is making it out to be. The assertion that people were buying more than they could afford is technically true, but it wasn't exactly presented that way to them in the first place. Blame should fall at the hands of the mortgage brokers first, not the uninformed buyers.

Color me uninformed but I dont really watch much tv or read too much into these things so the media really doesn't influence my opinion too much. When I was buying my house 3 years ago the option of an ARM just sounded like a huge scam to me that's all. To me it seems like "Gambling" because there's a chance your rates could either stay the same, lower, or rise dramatically depending on lots of things. That's risky is all i'm saying. Anyone with a little common sense should see that. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

I'm not taking blame away from Brokers because they are just as responsible as the buyers but jesus christ people need to inform themselves better before making gigantic decisions like these.

Guest Vitamin X
Ahh...it suddenly became clear. McCain is trying to move the debate to Thursday...meaning that the VP debate would have to get postponed.

Tag Team Debate !

issue solved.

JOE BIDEN IS A HOUSE AFIRE

Guest Smues

I have SOME sympathy for some of the borrowers. Mainly the poor uneducated ones that were prayed upon by lenders looking to make a buck who knew these people couldn't afford as much house as they were pushing. I have zero sympathy for the lenders, and I have zero sympathy for the cock suckers that helped artificially inflate the market by buying a house with a low interest rate in the first two years that would shoot up dramatically later, because they figured the market would never drop and they could flip it in six months for a tidy profit despite not putting any work into the house.

And you know what's really fun? Adjustable rate mortgages with fixed payment amounts and a fixed number of payments, and then the interest jumps up and that low fixed payments won't even cover the monthly interest. Balloon payments rule!

I've already said my views on subprime mortgages. They're shady, but shady business practices don't make for illegal business practices. People signed their names off on them, not much you can do about that. It's stupid to say that no one can take these loans anymore either because that would mean telling people who could afford the loans that they aren't allowed to roll the dice.

All political rhetoric aside, going back to Washington to help fix our economy is a hell of a lot more important than some debate.

Thank you for displaying common sense. I appreciate it.

Common Sense: John McCain desperately needs this Friday night to solve the economic problems. Yeah, he had 3 decades previously, but right now it is absolutely essential that he not have to engage in debating or campaigning. Leadership can only work on a one-way street and that street ONLY runs this Friday night.

Tom Paine couldn't have done this any better.

After the Sarah Palin pick and the " I'm suspending my campaign" stunt today, I'm starting to wonder if Vince Russo is secretely running McCain's campaign. :(

It's been a strange month for McCain for sure. Palin and all that's gone with that (both positive and negative), the media wackiness involving Palin being hidden...even in public now, Suspending the campaign to return to Washington to try and play savior on something that he hasn't been involved in, the debate postponement wackiness which would lead to Palin's VP smackdown getting postponed until a date TBA.

I swear he'd make a more entertaining president.

MAVERICK!!!

Welcome to actual economics, versus those presented in political arenas. The lowering of mortgage requirements led to millions of people committing to huge adjustable-rate mortgages, and when they couldn't afford them any more... welcome to the 'trickle-down effect.'

No, not Reagan's. This one was real, not just a silly excuse for giving the rich a tax break.

That's nice, but not quite accurate. The mortgages themselves obv. played a role here, but in the big picture this was really caused by the GOP's 20 year war on regulation and oversight creating a culture in which investment banks were essentially allowed to be as irresponsible as they wanted to be in pursuit of profit. Chickens coming home to roost etc.

From pasted article

Representative Barney Frank of Massachusetts, who is leading House Democrats in negotiating the bailout deal with the administration, was dismissive of Senator McCain’s announcement. “It’s the longest Hail Mary pass in the history of either football or Marys,” Mr. Frank told a group of reporters outside the House chamber.

HAHAHA.

Seriously McCain, how is an hour of debating going to get in the way of you "rescuing America"

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/25/us/polit...amp;oref=slogin

Obama agreed with postponing the debates.

You need to re-read that article, he agreed they need to work together on issues of the economy, but he didn't say the debates should be postponed.

And any of you who actually are defending this move by McCain.......wow. So if McCain leaves Washington, for, say, 4 or 5 hours, to prepare and get ready for this debate and do it, then our ecomony is destined to crumble right then and there or what?!! Since when is McCain the glue that holds this country together?!!!!

Seriously guys, think outside the box here. It's a fucking smokescreen.

So good ol' GWB still didn't answer any of my questions in that little speech. Why didn't his administration see this coming and do anything to stop this? And why are these banks getting bailed out and none of the home owners who are getting foreclosed upon. The banks are just as at fault as the homeowners.

Haha, pbone doesn't know what "rebuff" means.

My mistake. Didn't read the article all the way through. Sorry.

Sign in to follow this