TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

McCain is getting Nixon'd here. He won't even budge on anything...Obama calls him out on outright lies, and he just continues on to his next point as though nobody said anything. It's pretty entertaining.

This is because he was briefed that Obama is going to try to make him upset and not to get cranky and upset, so he refuses to engage Obama.

McCain spent more time talking about getting a bracelet than anything else. I don't know why I expected anything more out of this debate. Ugh

They aren't outright lies; It's horribly deceptive spin, but both sides have done enough of that (Like "100 years of Iraq" talk).

But again, the bigger point here is that Obama is coming off knowledgeable and strong on foreign policy; he's not falling into the John Kerry traps of "consulting the UN" and such, which instantly turns many Americans off. McCain tried to paint him badly with Pakistan, and I feel it worked out to Obama's advantage, saying that he will act and will strike when he gets the chance. He's will be decisive, but he won't use his power without proper reasons. Very nice.

McCain, on the other hand, is relying on too many anecdotes, and just attacking too much. Yeah, Obama's getting his jabs in, but McCain is using it like a crutch. Again, if you aren't talking about yourself, you're losing. Obama keeps turning the spotlight on himself, and I think he's going to be much better off from this.

OMG BRACELET PARTY! DO YOU HAVE THE LIVESTRONG ONE!?

ironically i thought mccain did a little better on economic questions and obama is doing better on foriegn policy

I kind of agree. I think Obama has definitely come out of the foreign policy ahead thus far. He started the debate very shaky and didn't get it in gear until near the end of the economic debate. They were both so horrid on making a statement about what the bailout would mean going forward that it was a pretty bad first half hour.

Oh God, John... Obama correcting him on Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's name is not good. You have to know how to pronounce their name if you intend to deal with them.

The better point? Obama saying "we aren't punishing these people by not talking to them". He's right.

Guest Vitamin X

"I looked into Mr. Putin's eyes and I saw three letters, a K, a G, and a B." Dramatic effect there, John, especially after Barry said, "You can't just look into their eyes and look into their soul."

KISSINGER: Well, I am in favor of negotiating with Iran. And one utility of negotiation is to put before Iran our vision of a Middle East, of a stable Middle East, and our notion on nuclear proliferation at a high enough level so that they have to study it. And, therefore, I actually have preferred doing it at the secretary of state level so that we -- we know we're dealing with authentic...

(CROSSTALK)

SESNO: Put at a very high level right out of the box?

KISSINGER: Initially, yes. And I always believed that the best way to begin a negotiation is to tell the other side exactly what you have in mind and what you are -- what the outcome is that you're trying to achieve so that they have something that they can react to.

Now, the permanent members of the Security Council, plus Japan and Germany, have all said nuclear weapons in Iran are unacceptable. They've never explained what they mean by this. So if we go into a negotiation, we ought to have a clear understanding of what is it we're trying to prevent. What is it going to do if we can't achieve what we're talking about?

But I do not believe that we can make conditions for the opening of negotiations. We ought, however, to be very clear about the content of negotiations and work it out with other countries and with our own government.

SOURCE: CNN.COM

To be fair, he says "Secretary of State"-level. But I gotta think OBAMA just owned on this knowledge.

AFTER 9/11!!!!!!!!!!

Sign in to follow this