TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Campaign 2008

Im glad to know we've lowered the level of obscenity to $200 million.

And there were more factors to this crisis than just "corporate greed".

that last statement must have been formed by using the logic that

All CEO's are rich.

All rich people are greedy.

Therefore all CEO's are greedy bastards who should be taxed 99% of their income and like it since normal people could live on the 1% that they would still have for themselves.

explode.gif

Im glad to know we've lowered the level of obscenity to $200 million.

And there were more factors to this crisis than just "corporate greed".

that last statement must have been formed by using the logic that

All CEO's are rich.

All rich people are greedy.

Therefore all CEO's are greedy bastards who should be taxed 99% of their income and like it since normal people could live on the 1% that they would still have for themselves.

Agent, forgive any sins I am about to commit.

Marvin, everything you have just said in the past hour and a half has been the most irresponsible, worthless, unfounded drivel that this thread has ever seen. It defies all logic. Your arguments are products of completely missing the point of whatever we said, and you have structured them in a manner that only Sarah Palin would find acceptable. Not only are they devoid of any sense whatsoever, but they will be shining representations of any posts you make in this thread in the future.

Hannity comes out and makes the points about Ayers/Wright and their association with Obama and the only thing that the guest can counter with is that Hannity hates Jews.

wow.

There's something funny in watching Marvin completely ignore reality to try and barely make a semblance of a point.

Almost as funny as watching Hannity squirm in that clip.

About the debate, anyone else notice Brokaw giggling at every one of McCain's jokes like a little schoolgirl?

Hannity comes out and makes the points about Ayers/Wright and their association with Obama and the only thing that the guest can counter with is that Hannity hates Jews.

wow.

So the point of "Guilt by association" being complete bullshit was hard for you to grasp? The guest was obviously not saying Hannity "hated jews" he was making a point, and a rather strong one about the "guilt by association" that Sarah Palin is GRASPING AT in desperation to save McCain's failing campaign.

wow.

There's something funny in watching Marvin completely ignore reality to try and barely make a semblance of a point.

Obama can associate himself with shady characters freely with no pressure on him to admit or defend his associations with them, but Hannity has one guy on his show that has made anti-semitic remarks in the past (not on his show though) and now Hannity has to defend himself against being called an anti-semite himself.

OK then...theres no real difference between the two at all.

Marvin, you really don't get this, do you?

I get that they are trying to use the "guilt by association" tactic on Hannity but its totally not the same.

20 years of association with several shady characters > 5 minutes with someone on a tv show

wow.

Obama can associate himself with shady characters freely with no pressure on him to admit or defend his associations with them, but Hannity has one guy on his show that has made anti-semitic remarks in the past (not on his show though) and now Hannity has to defend himself against being called an anti-semite himself.

Still! Old! Friend! You've managed to kill just about everybody else, but like a poor marksman you keep missing the target!

Seriously, you're just trying too hard now.

I get that they are trying to use the "guilt by association" tactic on Hannity but its totally not the same.

20 years of association with several shady characters > 5 minutes with someone on a tv show

Haven't we already gone over Sarah Palin's crazy preacher yet? Or how her husband is/was (I can't remember which) a member of the Alaskan Secession Party? Or how McCain has actually been a part of a corruption scandal with the Keating 5?

Seriously, how does Sarah Palin get a pass on this? Or is it just because she's equally crazy that you don't notice it?

Nah dude, Obama sat on a commission with Bill Ayers, a dude who WENT ON TO SERVE HIS LOCAL COMMUNITY(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), so it's different.

Furthermore, is it just me, or has an unsightly amount of conservative press been delegated to repeating the same Ayers information and propaganda?

Haven't we already gone over Sarah Palin's crazy preacher yet? Or how her husband is/was (I can't remember which) a member of the Alaskan Secession Party? Or how McCain has actually been a part of a corruption scandal with the Keating 5?

Seriously, how does Sarah Palin get a pass on this? Or is it just because she's equally crazy that you don't notice it?

Sarah Palin's church has a Kenyan Witch...hunter as a guest for one day < 20 years of Rev. Wright

Again, I dont see how the two compare.

The public is finally wising up to these kinds of attacks. Looks like people are finally understanding that Obama working with Ayers to improve the Chicago school system plays no role in Obama's judgement. Looks like they're also understanding that trying to push a message that Obama hates America is filthy.

I also hate CNN's debate metre- it's distracting, and hard to decipher. And the spin alley stuff is pointless.

Then watch C-SPAN. Or, if you want some talking heads, watch PBS which has analysts but keeps them shut up the whole time. There's no logos other than your local affiliate's graphic and the occasional little PBS head showing up in the bottom left every 30 minutes or so.

I tried BBC for post-debate talk this time. Their reporters and anchor were doing must of the punditry, with one of them complaining about all the question dodging. They brought in two undecided expats living in London from the UK newsroom that I guess they're turning to frequently in their coverage of the election, both of which were more confused than less confused by this debate.

Alternative, at the end they did bring in Joe Klein from Time who was pretty accurate.

Sarah Palin's church has a Kenyan Witch...hunter as a guest for one day < 20 years of Rev. Wright

Sarah Palin's church thinks enough scripture will make gay people into straight people.

Wright is crazy, but not that crazy.

wow.

Marvin, I'm not gonna bash you or anything, but you really don't see the point the guy was trying to make to Hannity? I have trouble following politics but I'm trying to follow the best I can and even though I'm still kinda trying to figure things out, I still could see the point the guy was trying to make.

Did you really miss this person's point entirely?

Are you fucking kidding me? Belonging to a church that has a witch hunter as a guest far worse than Wright. Wright, to quote Mike Huckabee, has a chip on his shoulder. And there is certainly some justification in his sentiment. I can understand that. Inviting a fucking witch hunter in your church? You're fucking insane.

Oh, by the by, I wasn't talking just about that, but actually referencing the fact that Palin's preachers thinks that the War on Terror is a holy war endorsed by God.

I can deal with people having a problem with America; with Wright, I can completely understand where it comes from. At the very least, Barack Obama has shown me that he loves his country and has its best interests at heart, despite having such a preacher. Sarah Palin's preacher talks of a holy war against terrorists. To me, that directly effects policy decisions and international relations. That worries me a hell of a lot more than anything Wright has ever said. Here, let's take a look at this fun quote from Sarah Palin's former longtime pastor

What you see in a terrorist - that's called the invisible enemy. There has always been an invisible enemy. What you see in Iraq, basically, is a manifestation of what's going on in this unseen world called the spirit world. We need to think like Jesus thinks. We are in a time and a season of war, and we need to think like that. We need to develop that instinct. We need to develop as believers the instinct that we are at war, and that war is contending for your faith. Jesus called us to die. You're worried about getting hurt? He's called us to die. Listen, you know we can't even follow him unless you are willing to give up your life. I believe that Jesus himself operated from that position of war mode. Everyone say "war mode." Now you say, wait a minute Ed, he's like the good shepherd, he's loving all the time and he's kind all the time. Oh yes he is - but I also believe that he had a part of his thoughts that knew that he was in a war.

Yeah, saying Jesus is calling on us to give up our lives in a holy war is totally not as bad as being angry at America. Totally.

Another fun fact, which I thank CNN for revealing to me: Anyone know where the "We grow good people in our small towns, with honesty, sincerity, and dignity" quote from her convention speech came from? This guy. Wow, that's a real All-American writer to me!

Edit: I'd also like to point out that Hannity completely ignores the fact that the commission Obama shares with this guy has a Republican. omg terrorist supporter... or maybe it proves he's truly a man who works across party lines!

The public is finally wising up to these kinds of attacks. Looks like people are finally understanding that Obama working with Ayers to improve the Chicago school system plays no role in Obama's judgement. Looks like they're also understanding that trying to push a message that Obama hates America is filthy.

by the way, "working with" means supporting the same educational school reforms.

Personally I think Obama shoulda walked up those kids and told them "sorry you little turds! I was gonna help you out but you see, this Ayers guy also wants to help you, so i can't! Screw you!" and punched em in the face.

http://thatone08.com/

Are you fucking kidding me? Belonging to a church that has a witch hunter as a guest far worse than Wright. Wright, to quote Mike Huckabee, has a chip on his shoulder. And there is certainly some justification in his sentiment. I can understand that. Inviting a fucking witch hunter in your church? You're fucking insane.

He's warming up!

Yeah, saying Jesus is calling on us to give up our lives in a holy war is totally not as bad as being angry at America. Totally.

HE'S ON FIRE!

Man, I'd really like to go to some of these crazy churches where they talk shit like this.

Oh wait, I did. My high school's chaplain was a crazy bitch. Here are some of his points: don't marry outside of your race; the Jews killed Jesus; dinosaurs lived at the same time as men and women did; all Mexicans live in boxes; all Indian people wash floors for five cents an hour; the Columbine massacre happened not because those guys hated their lives, but they hated the school's administration.

I'm not making any of that up. Not a single word is exaggerated. My high school mentor, a guy by the name of Michael Weisner, rushed up to the stage one time and screamed, "THIS IS ALL BULLSHIT, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BELIEVE A SINGLE WORD OF IT." Then returned to his seat. Dude's like a 68 year old Jewish guy. Awesome.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=M...mQzN2Y3ZGZjMTg=

Haha, the National Review is the worst magazine ever.

We have a disaster here — which is what you should expect when you delegate a non-conservative to make the conservative (nay, the American) case. We can parse it eight ways to Sunday, but I think the commentary is missing the big picture.

I wrote a response to that editorial:

The last line of your most recent editorial, "You Guys Are Nuts," reads "What am I missing?"

What you seem to be missing is that the Ayers/Wright associations have taken little effect on the public. Obama still leads in the polls, and a sentiment of disappointment in the McCain campaign's is now beginning to arise. As a man who once himself scoffed at his own right-wing associates asking him to push the Wright connection, McCain's latest ad, entitled "Dangerous," literally tells its audience that Obama is "too risky for America," as if it was trying to become a parody of itself. It's a fear-mongering campaign, and nothing more. The attack comes two-fold as well, as McCain has released Sarah Palin on the offensive, telling her audience that Obama "views America as... imperfect." Continuing on this parade of detestable rhetoric, one member of the audience even shouted "kill him!" Is this the kind of campaign that you would want any politician running? Is any chance of a truly respectable campaign dead?

Getting back to the question at hand, "what am I missing?" You're missing an opportunity to take part in legitimate political discussion of the candidates and issues at hand. Hell, even the first line of your piece says that the Conservative cause is the "American cause." You completely forego any thoughts on the debate, other than, in summation, "McCain failed to make the American people know that Obama is a dangerous lefty." Mr. McCarthy, surely you cannot expect topics like that to take place at a formal debate! Not only in the sense that sentiments like that, by design, do not, or at the very least should not, belong at a presidential debate, but in the sense that it would surely be a short-sighted thing to do that would almost certainly backfire on Mr. McCain.

My request to you is this: as easy as it is to pick the Ayers bone dry, please, return some dignity to the 2008 political season by focusing instead on legitimate disagreements with Mr. Obama. I'm not going to attempt to defend the Ayers connection, as I know it would do me no good, but I ask of you to return to the political arena instead of the most archaic and disrespectful areas of any campaign.

Thank you for your time,

P. "Black Moses" Bone

And how's that? Seriously, I want a good fucking answer, and not more shallow talking points. Oh, and while we're at it, how can you go on about this when McCaine had John Hagee, who called the Catholic Church "The Great Whore" (say what you will about the church, but when you pick a guy who said that as your supporter, it says a lot about your judgement) and that Hitler was fulfilling God's will? That's worse than Wright's "God Damn America" bullshit.

Sign in to follow this