TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vampiro69

Future baseball HOF'ers

In the next few years we are going to have some great players retire. However, some of these players are borderline in my eyes. Here are a few of the players that I think make it and a few that fall short.

In

Clemens (most dominant pitcher in the last 20 yrs)

Bonds (numbers to great to ignore)

Maddaux (four straight Cy Young Awards with a 1.56 ERA in '94 and 1.63 in '95)

Biggio (2,700 hits, four times over .300), hit for power (six times with 20-plus homers, twice with 50-plus doubles), steal bases (as many as 50 in one season), draw walks (.400 on-base percentage four times)

I-Rod (great defense and solid offense producer)

Palmerio (look at the numbers, nuff said)

Marino Riveria ( Most feared closer in post season history)

MAYBE

Tom Glavine (20 games five times and has two Cy Youngs, finishing in the top three in four other years. He has a 2.47 ERA in eight World Series starts, including a one-hitter in the clinching game in 1995. Makes him a difficult choice)

Griffey (once thought that he would control the record books. Still 500+HR's

Sosa (steroids, corked bat, horrible exit from Chicago, but will that keep him from the Hall?

John Smoltz ( Cy young winner, 55 saves. Similar to Eckersely.

Ichiro ( will the HOF count his stats with Japan? Thats the key)

Pedro (is dominant but still his stats are quiet short of HOF status right now)

Jeff Bagwell ( stats don't lie, he was very good but is he good enough)

Hall of good

Bernie Williams

Mike Mussina

Chipper Jones

Mike Piazza

If there is someone I missed let me know, and what are your thoughts?

I think everyone you mentioned will make it, with the exception of Bernie, Chipper, and POSSIBLY Mike Mussina (not 100% if he will or won't make it). Everyone else is a no doubter to me.

These players retire imo without question they get in on the first ballot.

Roger Clemens

Greg Madduz

Randy Johnson

Pedro Martinez-he was just too dominate a pitcher in such a hitters era.

Barry Bonds

Mike Piazza

Ivan Rodriguez

Mariano Rivera

Will make it put it might be on the 2nd-3rd ballot.

Craig Biggio

Tom Glavine

Rafael Palmeiro-he should be a first ballot guy and probably will be, but the voters can be anal bitches

Sammy Sosa

Jeff Bagwell-deeper numbers show he imo was better than Palmeiro. Spent alot of years in a very pitchers friendly Astrodome.

Frank Thomas-

Ken Griffey, Jr-This is right know. By the time he's done he'll be a first ballot lock.

Still need some work to be locks

John Smoltz-once he gets over that 200 Win plateau he's a lock.

Gary Sheffield-65 Homers shy of 500. Numbers will be too hard to ignore by the time Sheffield is done.

Jeff Kent-

Treavor Hoffman

Chipper Jones

Curt Schilling

Works in Progress-Unless injuries derail these players they'll be locks

Derek Jeter

Alex Rodriquez

Albert Pujos

Manny Ramirez

Vlad Guerrero

Miguel Batista

Andruw Jones

Johnny Damon

I am guessing he meant Tejada. However, the first couple of seasons have been great for Miguel Cabrera.

I actually forgot about Tejada. He's goes in the A-Rod category.

Why the fuck do I always do that. Miguel Cabrera...Cabrera of the Marlins is who I mean.

Tom Glavine (20 games five times and has two Cy Youngs, finishing in the top three in four other years. He has a 2.47 ERA in eight World Series starts, including a one-hitter in the clinching game in 1995. Makes him a difficult choice)

In. He had 262 wins coming into this season with a better than .600 winning percentage. No pitcher with as good numbers in both categories has been denied entry.

In. Dominant player for a full decade.

Sosa (steroids, corked bat, horrible exit from Chicago, but will that keep him from the Hall?

I'd vote him in but I'm not going to get into a steroids debate.

Pedro (is dominant but still his stats are quiet short of HOF status right now)

If he retired today, he would have the third best win/loss record of all time. If his career is cut short now, he would fall into the Sandy Koufax/Dizzy Dean category. He's in.

Jeff Bagwell ( stats don't lie, he was very good but is he good enough)

In. Remember, Bagwell played his prime in the Astrodome, one of the toughest hitters' parks of the modern era.

Mike Piazza

The greatest hitting catcher of all-time. More importantly, played in 11 All-Star games.

Guest *KNK*

The fun part of HOF dicussion is the topic

"Which hat should they wear?"

Mike Piazza, Roberto Alomar, and Gary Sheffield will be interesting choices.

Piazza rightfully could go either way with the Dodgers or Mets. I'd say the Mets.

Alomar probably had his best numbers in Cleveland, but I think he'll go in has a Blue Jay.

Sheffield is probably the toughest. He's never really been on one team for a long period of time.

Sheffield would probably be a Dodger.

Maddux would regrettably be a Brave, but I'd rather see him as a Cub. Duh.

Pedro will be a Red Sock

Clemens will be a Red Sock or Yankee

Glavine will be a Brave, of course

Palmeiro is a tough call, but I'll lean towards Oriole.

Guest Brian

In. Dominant player for a full decade.

He's also a great defensive outfielders, probably the best of his generation. He was a gold glover every year of the nineties.

Now, I know this won't happen, but for some reason let's say that Pedro wants to go in as an Expo.  Would that be possible and has a similar situation ever happened before?

I believe there was a situation that involved Gary carter wanting to go into the Fall wearing I believe an Expos cap while the hall wanted him to wear a Mets hat.

Of course I probably have the teams switched around in the story, if so my bad.

Now, I know this won't happen, but for some reason let's say that Pedro wants to go in as an Expo.  Would that be possible and has a similar situation ever happened before?

I believe there was a situation that involved Gary carter wanting to go into the Fall wearing I believe an Expos cap while the hall wanted him to wear a Mets hat.

Of course I probably have the teams switched around in the story, if so my bad.

Yep. Carter wanted to in has a Met and the Hall made him go in has an Expo.

Didn't Dave Winfield actually take offers as to who's team hat he would wear on his plaque? I think the Padres made the best offer since they were desparate to have a Hall of Famer wearing a Padres cap. Soon after the Hall decided they would decide what cap a player wore.

Didn't Dave Winfield actually take offers as to who's team hat he would wear on his plaque?  I think the Padres made the best offer since they were desparate to have a Hall of Famer wearing a Padres cap.  Soon after the Hall decided they would decide what cap a player wore.

People say Winfield shouldn't be in as Padre, but if you look at his career you can make a good case for him going in as a Padre. He spent the majority of his career playing for the Padres and the Yankees. He has just as many at bats in San Diego as he does with New York. San Diego drafted him and put him right on the major league team, he never played a game in the minors. He left the Yankees on very bad terms. George Steinbrenner would insult him and hired a private investigator to gather dirt on him. If it comes down to equal time on two different teams then the player should be able to choose. The Padres could not have been that desperate since they know Tony will be in soon enough.

Guest Brian

I think most team were offering players cash or front office jobs for going into the hall with their cap.

Next year it looks like Bruce Sutter will be the only one, assuming he improves on 66 %. I believe Gil Hodges is the only player to receive 66% and not make the HOF. Two years Gwynn and Ripken are locks. McGwire would of been, but after his appearance in congress and the general backlash against alleged steroid users might keep him out a season.

Guest Smues

Assuming no injuries in the near future that prevent him from continueing to rack up homeruns/gold gloves he'll be a lock. I have a feeling Andruw will get in but not Chipper, which will make me a little sad but oh well.

Chipper will be helped by the fact he was arguably the best third basemen in the NL for 4-5 years. He played for a winning team, was considered their best offensive player.

Jones really does nothing for me. He's got alot of HR's and his arguably the best defensive CF of all time. However look at the other numbers or really lack there of for a player with so much talent.

Jones really does nothing for me. He's got alot of HR's and his arguably the best defensive CF of all time. However look at the other numbers or really lack there of for a player with so much talent.

I wouldn't expect great numbers. Most of Andruw Jones' value is in his defense. That he has any offense makes him all the much better.

I guess that's part of my problem.He'd be going in for his defense, when he could be going in for his overall ability. I don't wanna go has far and say he shouldn't be in because he's imo been a huge underachiever offensively. I just think he has so much more potential has an overall player than he's shown.