TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J. Rogers

Annoying announcer cliches

what's crazy is that Gorilla Monsoon used to spit out the same cliches night in and night out, but damn it didn't matter because it was freaking Gorilla Monsoon!

I think both "literally" (as referenced by CC) and "I'll tell you what" (as referenced by The Kid) can't count. The former because that's misused EVERYWHERE and not just by idiot wrestling announcers and the latter because it's a regional saying more than a cliche. I had a manager that worked out of our Dallas office that said that literally 10 times a day (and, yes, I meant it when I used 'literally' that time).

Another one: This is going back a ways, but one of the regional announcers in the '80s, I can't remember his name, but he called the action for World Class, I believe, and always called a sleeper hold a "sleep hold." Actually, their announcer was pretty crappy in general, IIRC.

Marc Lowrance?

Vince:1,2,HE GOT HIM NO HE DIDN'T.

Tony Schivani:at any ppv you would here:What is going to happen between(insert name) ?TUNE IN TO NITRO TO FIND OUT

Dusty Rhodes:CLUBBERIN,THEY BE CLUBBERIN ON SATURDAY NIGHT.

and lets not forget:THERE'S A LADY IN THE MENS' BATHROOM.

your right.dusty was funny.I used to like jim ross on commentary but he has been stale for so long now.

Jim Ross:business is fixen to pick up right here.

Jim Ross:Stone Cold he's a rattle snake.He's tougher than shoe leather.

I remember when JR and Lawler lost a PPV match to Coach and Snow. Bischoff when booking it said Ive had enough of "Slobberknockers" and "Puppies" (in a high pitched voice) made that match for me.

Another one: This is going back a ways, but one of the regional announcers in the '80s, I can't remember his name, but he called the action for World Class, I believe, and always called a sleeper hold a "sleep hold." Actually, their announcer was pretty crappy in general, IIRC.

Marc Lowrance?

Bill Mercer. Marc Lowrance was actually a pretty decent announcer once Mercer left in the late 80s.

I don't know...I think I'm the opposite. I wish the announcers would, you know, actually call the moves during a match. Granted, not every move needs to be called, but I used to hate how Michael Cole would call everything a "hard shot" or "big impact move", and only call the finisher. Yeah, Michael, you didn't bother to name one single move but then it's "Tombstone! by the Undertaker...and this will do it!..."

Please, it really adds zero to the drama, especially since we SEE the action.  In fact, thats another thing, why must PBP guys treat a match like its on radio?  No need to "paint the word picture" since WE CAN SEE WHATS GOING ON!

I'll give you that, but I'm talking about using EVERY second of air time to talk. We are watching the show for the match, not the announcer! Maybe I need to watch boxing to compare (legit announcers as opposed to those paid for by the promotion)

your right.dusty was funny.I used to like jim ross on commentary but he has been stale for so long now.

Jim Ross:business is fixen to pick up right here.

Jim Ross:Stone Cold he's a rattle snake.He's tougher than shoe leather.

Speaking of Stone Cold, how about the announcer ramming a gimmick down our throats. When Austin ran in on the promo the night after WM Ross calls him "The Always Unpredictable Rattlesnake"

Uh Jim, Austin hasn't been truely "unpredictable" since Stone Cold's debut run through his first title run.

The only unpredictable thing is, what corny joke will he come up with, or which arm will he deliever the stunner with.

Steve

What was the deal with Vince McMahon in 1994-1995 when, during every Bret Hart match he announced, he'd utter phrases such as, "Fans, if this is the last time we ever see the great Bret Hart wrestle, blah blah blah" and other such statements implying that his career was seemingly going to end with every halfway impactful move he took? My memory of the storylines from back then is fuzzy since I was only 10-11 years old.

JR's "This is going to be a physical match-up!" is probably the worst though. That, or calling it a "smash mouth match", is pretty bad as well.

Gawd, remember when he'd say "this is a smash mouth, XFL-style match!" even before the XFL had aired it's first game??? That was SO annoying, because he was just CONSTANTLY shilling a football league on a wrestling show...

Or when someone was thrown over the top onto other wrestlers jr called it "an xfl fair catch"

When you think about it, pro wrestling in general is one big cliche

I don't know...I think I'm the opposite. I wish the announcers would, you know, actually call the moves during a match. Granted, not every move needs to be called, but I used to hate how Michael Cole would call everything a "hard shot" or "big impact move", and only call the finisher. Yeah, Michael, you didn't bother to name one single move but then it's "Tombstone! by the Undertaker...and this will do it!..."

Please, it really adds zero to the drama, especially since we SEE the action.  In fact, thats another thing, why must PBP guys treat a match like its on radio?  No need to "paint the word picture" since WE CAN SEE WHATS GOING ON!

I'll give you that, but I'm talking about using EVERY second of air time to talk. We are watching the show for the match, not the announcer! Maybe I need to watch boxing to compare (legit announcers as opposed to those paid for by the promotion)

Lampley and whatever color guy (usually a former boxer) that works HBO matches with him are usually pretty chatty the whole fight...Merchant, the third guy on the team, doesn't sya a whole lot, but when he does, it's usually just a bunch of garbage...so, boxing really isn't any better...

Jim Ross was once a "legit", as you put it, announcer for Atlanta Falcons (I may be wrong onthe team, but I know it was some team) games so it's not like he doesn't know how to do it...selling the drama makes up a good chunk of pro wrestling...I'm not saying these guys do it well, but that's what they're trying to do...

I, too, hate the finish giveaways like JR's "I gotta believe it's over right here" or Cole's "No, Damn it! Not this way." If Cole adds "Come on, _____, kick out!" you know it's over.

"This is the most important _____ ever!" (Especially for throwaway shows like New Year's Revolution)

I also don't like JR's constant overuse of names... For example:

*Benoit clotheslines Jericho*

JR: And Benoit just ran over Jericho and nearly took Jericho's head off..."

*HHH kicks out of something*

JR: And HHH reversed the pinning combination to make sure HHH's shoulders weren't pinned.

You can use a pronoun every now and again, you know.

I, too, hate the finish giveaways like JR's "I gotta believe it's over right here" or Cole's "No, Damn it! Not this way." If Cole adds "Come on, _____, kick out!" you know it's over.

"This is the most important _____ ever!" (Especially for throwaway shows like New Year's Revolution)

I also don't like JR's constant overuse of names... For example:

*Benoit clotheslines Jericho*

JR: And Benoit just ran over Jericho and nearly took Jericho's head off..."

*HHH kicks out of something*

JR: And HHH reversed the pinning combination to make sure HHH's shoulders weren't pinned.

You can use a pronoun every now and again, you know.

I cant stand Cole for that reason. You forget part though: "No, Damn it! Not this way. (in trying to appeared very annoyed voice) NOT THIS WAY!" or "Im shocked" line blows.

Consider yourself lucky that JR gets the names right.

I cant stand it when they bill the next RAW/SD as going to be the greatest ME ever in the history of RAW/SD. How many of these have they had? 200 already? ^o)

Guest The Masked Avenger
"Bah gawd this is turning into an all around brawl"

"Shades of the late Stan Hansen"

Stan Hansen is dead?

-TMA