TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
daileyxplanet

Favorite Gimmick Match?

I don't care for I Quit matches, usually too much overbooking, but I like submission matches.

My favorite I-Quit matches are Flair/Funk and TA/Blanchard. Neither was overbooked. It's only the recent ones that became confusing, convuluted overbooked tripe.

mark me down for the Rumbles as well, though they're really shitty when you already know who's going to win (Austin in 98, the Vince/Austin deal in 99, for examples)...05 was really good even though we knew it'd be either Cena or Batista: Benoit and Guerrero being 1 and 2, the total beatdown of Daniel Puder, everyone ganging up on Hassan immediately after a big Smackdown/Raw face off, Mysterio going from #5 all the way to the end, Benoit almost going the distance for the second year in a row...

mark me down for the Rumbles as well, though they're really shitty when you already know who's going to win (Austin in 98, the Vince/Austin deal in 99, for examples)...05 was really good even though we knew it'd be either Cena or Batista:  Benoit and Guerrero being 1 and 2, the total beatdown of Daniel Puder, everyone ganging up on Hassan immediately after a big Smackdown/Raw face off, Mysterio going from #5 all the way to the end, Benoit almost going the distance for the second year in a row...

The 92 and 97 Rumbles were perfect examples of the 'anyone can win' factor.

Maven eliminating the Undertaker in 2002 was also awesome.

WW3 was an OK concept, but it was never that watchable on TV, and the matches usually weren't that interesting really. It was like a poor man's Royal Rumble.

I think the best gimmick match of all time, aside from the Royal Rumble, is probably the Wargames. Just a great way to end a feud between two stables. Problem is there aren't any real stables left in wrestling. You can't just throw eight or ten random guys in...it has to be two real teams in a feud for it to mean anything.

As far as one on one matches, I like a straight up steel cage match, but not the escape rules. I think a match should end in pin or submission. Or better yet, the "I Quit" match in a steel cage can be really good, ala Tully Blanchard vs Magnum TA.

Best gimmick match depends on the participants involved. Some styles just don't work in some match types.

I have to give an honorable mention to Three Stages of Hell. It gives a little something for everybody, and I'm a huge mark for the Austin-HHH match from NWO '01.

This should use the Triple Cage on a Smackdown PPV. It's awesome looking. To my knowledge there have only been two Jarrett/DDP/Movie Star (great match) and Wargames 2000 (Overbooked to hell but fun. There is ten men in the match and we still get run ins, gotta love WCW)

I really like the Rumbles as well, and WWE/F ladder matches are pretty good more often than not.

The Rumbles have sucked lately. Either the first guy in or one of the very last few always seem to win it now. It's dull

Statistically there have been many Rumble winners that drew #27 (I can't remember who specifically, though) but people that actually drew numbers between 1 and 3 there's only three winners: Flair, Benoit, and Vince (but I think this one doesn't count.)

EDIT: It's actually FOUR winners for drawings between 1 and 3. Forgot Shawn Michaels. Thanks, ChrisM.

I really like the Rumbles as well, and WWE/F ladder matches are pretty good more often than not.

The Rumbles have sucked lately. Either the first guy in or one of the very last few always seem to win it now. It's dull

Statistically there have been many Rumble winners that drew #27 (I can't remember who specifically, though) but people that actually drew numbers between 1 and 3 there's only three winners: Flair, Benoit, and Vince (but I think this one doesn't count.)

Four Winners.

You forgot HBK.

I think the best gimmick match of all time, aside from the Royal Rumble, is probably the Wargames. Just a great way to end a feud between two stables. Problem is there aren't any real stables left in wrestling. You can't just throw eight or ten random guys in...it has to be two real teams in a feud for it to mean anything.

Even WCW started fucking around with that ... e.g. The Road Warriors, The Midnights & Williams vs. Freebirds (Garvin, Hayes, & Gordy) and The SST. Multiple feuds that really weren't related thrown together = a bad Wargames.

This should use the Triple Cage on a Smackdown PPV. It's awesome looking. To my knowledge there have only been two Jarrett/DDP/Movie Star (great match) and Wargames 2000
WCCW did at least one, maybe two, in one of their big outdoor supershows. I think Hayes vs. Gordy was one of the matches (when Hayes was a face) and they had some kind of reverse battle royal where you had to climb up the various cages for prizes for the fans.

Royal Rumble. All the rest I only like in general if there's someone good working it. There's nothing I can't stand more than a poor gimmick match, because the gimmick is supposed to make a bad match watchable.

what I always loved is when people would have one on one matches for the number 30 spot or when the announcer would always proclaim the guy who came out #30 as the sure-fire winner...30 has gotta be the WORST number to draw...

what I always loved is when people would have one on one matches for the number 30 spot or when the announcer would always proclaim the guy who came out #30 as the sure-fire winner...30 has gotta be the WORST number to draw...

Yes...yes it is.

Statistically, the closest #30 has been to claiming victory is second to last.

1989 it was DiBiase

1990 Mr. Perfect

1993 "Macho Man" Randy Savage

2004 The Undertaker

And I think that's it.

I've always thought at Steel Cage to be the most effective to end a feud, especially among main eventers, it's a great 'this is the most brutal, bloody way to end this'.

It, IMO, has more story telling that the spot fests that are HITC.