1. 1. Best Alan Moore story

• V For Vendetta
    • Watchmen
    • The Killing Joke
    • Miracleman
    • From Hell
    • The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
    • Swamp Thing run
    • Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
    • Supreme: The Story of the Year
    • Tom Strong

Guest JMA

If you have any that aren't on the list, put them in your replies. Frankly, he has too many good stories to list them all in a poll.

The only one I haven't read is Superman.

I voted Watchmen. It's one of the best things I've read period.

Miracleman does come pretty close though.

The Killing Joke Is probably a distant third behind those two.

I have only read the first trade and a few issues of his Swamp Thing run though, and I'd love to see how he writes Constantine (since he did create him, right?)

One other really enjoyable book that's now on the list is Top Ten. Nothing mind-blowing, but very entertaining.

There's a few I haven't read (LXG, Supreme), but I have read most of them, and its absolutely Watchmen. It really is the Ciitizen Kane of comics (right down to people reading/watching it and not getting what the big deal is).

Its SO FUCKING DENSE! there are so many interesting little unique and new storytelling techniques down there. Its complex in so many ways, not just the characters, but in the little physical aspects, the way the story is told visually, through the ways characters are staged, through many different things.

Its usually the abillity to further the telling of the story through means OTHER than plot and dialogue that makes something really complex. Put the Godfather on MUTE and pay attention to how Michael is staged as the movie goes on, to what he wears and his physical mannerisms, and you'll see his whole story is right there on screen, and it has nothing to do with dialogue or the plot. No michael bay movie will ever have that. Even if you foun the Bay movie more "fun to watch", it will never be as good as a film as The Godfather. thats how fuckin dense watchmen is, normal superhero comics are michael bay movies while Watchmen is the fucking Godfather.

Guest JMA

Moore is easily my favorite comic writer. I've literally loved everything he's ever done (the stuff that I've read, anyway).

For me, it all comes down to Watchmen and Miracleman though--with Watchmen barely edging out the latter.

I voted for Watchmen. There's nothing much else to say about the series, it's just a great read.

As for the Killing Joke, it has to be one of the most overrated pieces of garbage around IMHO. The throwing away of Batgirl was a disappointment to me. I'm not sure if this was Moore's call or if it came from the editor who would have been Denny O'Neil at the time.

I also really hate the end; it just doesn't seem like something that Batman would end up doing after the ordeal he'd been through. I liked the fact that some writer brought this up in an issue of Batman Chronicles in mid-90s using Barbara to call Bruce on the end of the Killing Joke, of course he had no answer, because it made no damn sense.

Guest JMA
As for the Killing Joke, it has to be one of the most overrated pieces of garbage around IMHO. The throwing away of Batgirl was a disappointment to me. I'm not sure if this was Moore's call or if it came from the editor who would have been Denny O'Neil at the time.

Moore didn't intend for it to be in continuity. Nevertheless, it still features one of the best interpretations of the Joker ever. His possible origin sequence is my favorite part in the entire book; Moore allowing the reader to sympathize (at least somewhat) with the person the Joker used to be was great, especially after we see him do such evil acts in the before in the book. As much as I loved Barbara as Batgirl, she's become even more interesting as Oracle.

It's certainly not Moore's best work, but it's still a good read.

I went with Watchmen because, as metr0man says, it's densely layered and you could read it over and over again and still discover new details that help fill out the story.

I felt a little guilty voting since I haven't read half the stuff on that list, but "Watchmen" really is the Citizen Kane of comics.

Guest JMA
I felt a little guilty voting since I haven't read half the stuff on that list, but "Watchmen" really is the Citizen Kane of comics.

Indeed it is.

As for the list, it's by no means a complete one. There are plenty of other great Alan Moore stories out there--I couldn't really list them all.

Watchmen is a great read, even though the ending is right out of an episode of "The Outer Limits".

I just re-read my copy of the Killing Joke, and I still think it hold up today. With the hinting at of the Jokers origions I actually could feel sympathic to him at certain points and anger towards him two pages later.

The Superman story is good but over-rated. Something about it just didn't click for me in regards to the story.

Guest JMA

Speaking of The Killing Joke, there are some interesting happenings in Birds of Prey relating to that story.

For more information, check here. Needless to say, there are spoilers present.

Now that could either be great or really be crap. I am not sure yet. However, get me a hot red head in spandex and it would likely wotk for me.

Guest JMA
Now that could either be great or really be crap.  I am not sure yet.  However, get me a hot red head in spandex and it would likely wotk for me.

You're right in that it could go either way. I trust Gail Simone to deliver a good story, though. I'm really enjoying her work on Villains United.

Villians United is an interesting story so far. I still have no clue as to who Mockingbird is. My best guess is Dr. Sivanna(sp?) from the Captain Marvel series.

Guest JMA
Villians United is an interesting story so far.  I still have no clue as to who Mockingbird is.  My best guess is Dr. Sivanna(sp?) from the Captain Marvel series.

I don't know why, but I get the feeling that Mockingbird is a woman. Maybe the codename just sounds feminine to me.

it probably is a woman, but I am holding out hope for Sivana. I think it would be cool to upgrade a Capt. Marvel villian and make him on par with a Lex Luthor.

Guest JMA
it probably is a woman, but I am holding out hope for Sivana.  I think it would be cool to upgrade a Capt. Marvel villian and make him on par with a Lex Luthor.

Luthor vs. Sivana would be cool--the battle of the the super-geniuses.

That is what I am hoping for. Have Simone set it up and have Johns execute it. I think it would work big time.

Comic book run:

Swamp Thing.

He took a one-dimensional character, whose book was about to be axed, and saved it by writing great, great stories.

Moore's ST run does not get enough praise.

Everything else was Moore just writing good stories. With Swamp Thing, he was assigned the (normally) difficult task of reviving a bad book and he did just that and then some. I read issues #1 - #19, the issues before Moore came on board and that book is lucky it wasn't cancelled earlier. All hail Moore.

Single issue:

Killing Joke.

This book deserves all the praise it gets. Batgirl finally became an interesting character through, albeit, radical and gruesome actions committed by the Joker. This story put the Joker on the map as *the* psycho badass of comic book villains. Lex Luthor, Dr.Doom, Darkseid, and Ultron have nothing on this guy when it comes to hitting his enemies close to home (although this could change with Lex soon...)

"DC Universe: the Stories of Alan Moore" came out this week.

It includes "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?", "The Killing Joke" and quite a few other stories. And its only $20.

I started reading Moore's Swamp Thing run over the last couple of weeks. I'm through the first two trades with the other four in the mail, and I've got to say, it's great. Watchmen is probably his greatest overall, but I personally find incredible things in Swamp Thing and Miracleman. Incredible vision, this guy has.

Gonna give it to From Hell. The research that went into that was off the page. It's so noir, too. As an avid serial murder buff, that one hit where I live.

Guest ChikoDemono

According to DC's website, the collection is not released until the 18th of January; however, just about every other comic selling website is claiming that the collection has already been released (on the 11th of January). What's the dealy-o?

According to DC's website, the collection is not released until the 18th of January; however, just about every other comic selling website is claiming that the collection has already been released (on the 11th of January). What's the dealy-o?

I bought it yesterday.

I cast my vote for the Killing Joke. Moore really went over the top in this one showing what a sick, twisted fuck the Joker is. The shooting of Barbara Gordon came completely out of the blue. I haven't read this book in a while, but I seem to remember it being implied that after shooting her, the Joker raped her. Then he had Commissioner Gordon taken to an abandoned amusement park where he stripped him naked and basically tortured him with photos of his naked daughter laying in a pool of her own blood. As much as I wanted to see the Joker get beaten within an inch of his life, Gordon telling Batman, "Don't you kill him, I want him brought in by the book" was amazing. I need to go dig out this book and give it another read.

"Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" was, quite simply, the best Superman story I've read in my entire life.

Guest ChikoDemono
"Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" was, quite simply, the best Superman story I've read in my entire life.

I, too, feel as though it is the best Superman story I have ever read. How is the book? With "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow", "For the Man Who Has Everything", AND "Killing Joke", it was already a must-buy, but how are the other stories? Are they any good?