TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AmericanDragon

The Ultimate Fighter 2

Guest ian.

This is the first time I've actually sat down and watched a full ufc/mma show, and I must say I was very impressed. After tonight, I'll probably start following it a bit more closely.

Sorry guys, ROTR has the lock on orgasmic WW tournaments coming up:

Trigg, Verrissimo, Kikuchi, Fukuda, Kunioku, Hallman, Shields, A. Silva, Riggs, Hieron & Okami all being rumoured. Of course, in a perfect world, Penn kills himself via dieting for a bit and enters himself.

Keith Jardine defeated Kerry Schall by TKO (Leg Kicks) 3:28 RD 2     

Melvin Guillard defeated Marcus Davis by TKO (Cut) 2:55 RD 2   

Josh Burkman defeated Sam Morgan by KO (Slam) 0:21 RD 1

Those are some WONKY finishes. Tko by LEG KICKS, a cut stoppage and 21 second KO via SLAM.

Keith Jardine defeated Kerry Schall by TKO (Leg Kicks) 3:28 RD 2     

Melvin Guillard defeated Marcus Davis by TKO (Cut) 2:55 RD 2   

Josh Burkman defeated Sam Morgan by KO (Slam) 0:21 RD 1

Those are some WONKY finishes. Tko by LEG KICKS, a cut stoppage and 21 second KO via SLAM.

Maybe Kerry was reinjured during the fight.

Rewatching Stevenson/Cummo, Luke had his shots in the third when he had Joe mounted, but Joe got a couple takedows as the round wound down that won it for him.

I would have scored it 29-28 Joe.

I'm a pretty casual MMA fan (I've seen what Spike has put out for UFC, and not much else), and I loved it. I was pulling hard for Luke. Definitely one of those times that the "real" factor -- a real, interesting character, in a genuine competition, with something legitimate on the line -- added a lot to the experience.

Guest Brian

What a show. Man, 30-27 from 3 judges. And Diaz reaffirms why I love him. They should have an awesome series of matches. I figure Diego's next test is with Parysian, as I figured Diaz would get a rematch with a win due to the UFC inevitably heading to GSP/Hughes.

What round did you see diaz win though? I would have said 10-9 diego in every round too.

That 30-27 in the Luke Joe fight was bullshit though.

But man, the Heavyweights are in for some shit kickings. Rashad's stand up has improved greatly since the show when off and he was killing brad with the combos, but he still doesn't move his head and still leaves himself open for a world of submissions on the ground. A more experienced fighter will make short work of him.

Brad...if he was fighting a more experienced fighter he would have been KO'd in the first round. No reason for Rashaad not putting this away early. Plus, they were GASSED.

Still, I enjoyed all the fights, and diego and Diaz looking like they had been dipped in blood at one point was pretty cool. But seeing as I don't like Nick Diaz,I was happy to see him lose, although if he could have kept Diego up, he would have one. He also doesn't seem to believe in moving his head.

Guest Brian

With Diaz opening that cut that probably should have stopped the fight, and picking him apart standing in the first minute of the third round, I thought he should have at least been even in that round. And didn't Diaz and Diego each hace a takedown that round. Diaz dictated alot of that fight on the ground, avoiding a lot of shots and attempting to finish a lot more often than Diego; Diego's biggest and most devestating shot that he landed was off an illegal knee.

After watching the replay Diego gets away with two things that otherwise would probably have not been ignored:

1) The super-illegal knee to Diaz's face when Nick is half-sitting up on the ground.

2) Keeping his head down after he got cut and making sure his hair was in the way so neither the camera nor Big John could see anything.

Joe's reaction after the Luke fight is what clinches the whole thing for me. His family is there, he's just won a six figure contract and his dream has come true: And all he can think about is how much the complete psycho to his left came *this* close to beating him at times. Good show of class by Joe.

So, who else thinks Arlovski should be a coach for TUF3? Just make sure it isn't with welterweights, otherwise he might eat one.

Also, what with Dana saying Luke/Joe was Forrest/Stephan but on the ground, I thought they'd give Luke a contract too.

1) The super-illegal knee to Diaz's face when Nick is half-sitting up on the ground.

I always say that rule as only counting for the opponent being on all fours and Diaz was just sitting there with his arms up.

You are correct. It's the 4 point attack rule. You can kick an opponent in the head (the front, not the back) as long as his arms are not on the ground. Otherwise you can kick to the body regardless. In Pride, you can stomp and kick at will regardless of circumstances unless there's a weight difference...of...I want to say 20 pounds but I'm not sure...unless the lighter opponent agrees to waive the rule.

My thoughts exactly.  30-29 all around, maybe.

...So which two rounds did you think were a draw and which round did you think Diego won? Or do you just not know what the numbers actually mean.

Do you think I just started watching MMA yesterday? I would probably give the first two rounds the draw, but the last round to Diego. I said 'maybe' 30-29, I'd have to rewatch it to really give a fair shake. Maybe that's just the Pride judge in me too, since I've seen probably three times as much Pride as UFC lately.

I always say that rule as only counting for the opponent being on all fours and Diaz was just sitting there with his arms up.

You are correct. It's the 4 point attack rule. You can kick an opponent in the head (the front, not the back) as long as his arms are not on the ground. Otherwise you can kick to the body regardless. In Pride, you can stomp and kick at will regardless of circumstances unless there's a weight difference...of...I want to say 20 pounds but I'm not sure...unless the lighter opponent agrees to waive the rule.

10 kilo weight difference, or for the non-metric users among us, 22 lbs.

Guest Brian

I thought I caught two knees that were questionable. One Sanchez threw in the first as Diaz was in the process of coming to his feet, and one in the second that really rocked him when he was flat on his ass.

The Heavyweight fight impressed me the most. Rashad threw better combos and bobbed and weaved better than he did in the previous fights on TUF. Imes was more agreesive and showed "heart" but still has a ways to go before I'd even call him a Poor Man's Tim Sylvia. Both of these guys shocked the hell out of me by putting on an entertaining. It wasn't great but the fight went the distance and both guys came out looking strong IMO. Neither one has anything to be ashamed about.

Diego and Diaz was awesome. This is a feud that all of us could be seeing happen on and off for the next 10 + years. I forgot how Diaz was like 22 while Diego is only 23. Diaz is one of the most creative and savy guys I've seen squirm around on a UFC mat in years. For a moment, I thought Diego could have locked on an armbar to Diaz but he squirmed out. I also did a spit take when the knee got dropped in this fight. I thought for sure the fight would be declared over but I was happy to see it continue. These two had a war with one another and I look forward to seeing these two duke it out again.

Diaz getting into Diego's face before the fight started and Big John shoving Diaz away like a rag doll was funny. Hell, I thought Diaz might have been nuts enough to do something about that but thankfully he kept his cool. Funny stuff.

The Stevenson and Cummo fight was spectacular. Luke, of all people, looked gassed to me in this fight towards the end but he still hung in there. I thought both guys deserved a contract after the fight but Stevenson hung in there well with Luke and wore him down on the ground. I was hoping to see more elbows dropped on the heads when both guys had the other pinned on the mat since Luke looked good doing those in his TUF fights. Again, this fight impressed the hell out of me like the heavy's fight did.

I thought Kenny Florian was about to get choke slammed by Cope. Florian's tough though and hung in there with Cope and I hope he keeps improving. He's not a bad fighter.

Overall, I thought this Finale was outstanding with no dull fights. That's all I could ask for from the UFC and they delivered that to me last night.

For people in the UK that want to see TUF2, Meltzer has good news:

--The recently completed season of Ultimate Fighter will air starting on 12/5 on Bravo in the U.K. The show airs nightly, Monday through Friday, at 11 p.m., with new episodes each day for three weeks. It appears last night's show will be broken up into three different one hour shows that air 12/21 to 12/23 (thanks to Ian Hamilton)

In honor of the 12/23 show, I'm also going to go back and watch the 12/23/00 NOAH show along with the UFC repeat. Kobashi vs. Akiyama and some Diego/Diaz works for me.

Guest nWoCHRISnWo

I watch UFC as much as I can without having to pay (so pretty much when it's on Spike TV) and love it, but gotta say... It kinda sucks when you know who'll win before the matches most of the time. It seems like if one guy is really good on the ground, and the other at stand-up, the stand-up guy has no chance at all because the other guy won't stand up with him for a second. Like Diaz/Sanchez, Diego went for the takedown every single time. From most of the fights I've seen, you barely even need a stand-up game.