TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Styles

OAO Spike and UFC vs. USA and WWE thread

Guest Fook

From Meltzer's update today:

WWE has officially announced "The Night of Champions" to counter Spike's UFC, bringing back Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan, Mick Foley, Vince McMahon as a character and HHH on the 10/3 USA Network debut.

Well all five of those did win the WWE title...

From Meltzer's update today:

WWE has officially announced "The Night of Champions" to counter Spike's UFC, bringing back Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan, Mick Foley, Vince McMahon as a character and HHH on the 10/3 USA Network debut.

Well all five of those did win the WWE title...

Sounds like someone's shorts are full of bricks.

Color me bored. I'll be tivo'ing Raw as well since I'll be switching back and forth between MNF and UFC. That sounds like a crap Raw. Nothing like having a Night of Champions and what are they going to do? Talk.

Dull.

I'd rather see Brock Lesnar come back than any of those guys at this point.

Remember Smackdown's anniversary special when all those guys supposedly were going to appear? Well, they did, but it was just in taped interview segments. I bet we get something similar. Fuck you, WWE.

Wow, a guy who is nearly 40 with a fucked up neck who wants to be a movie star who has already came back before, a guy who is nearly 50 with a bum hip and knee who has already came back many times before, a guy who is nearly 40 who can't work anymore (admitted as much after his ROH confrontations with Samoa Joe) and wants to be an author who has came back before after swearing he had retired to piss off everyone that believed him, a guy who is nearly sixty with an ego as big as his stride when he walks like he has a dump in his pants and his son in law who is responsible for turning off so many from the product in the last 3-4 years. Wow, what a way to draw interest in this new and exciting product... nothing like dragging back a bunch of injury laden former stars to make things interesting and discredit the stars they are trying to build. Maybe Austin will say to Carlito "I see taco people" and Hogan will spend half the show saying "brother" and flexing his wrinkled orange flesh.

I swear to God, it's like WWE have their heads up their ass and expect us to eat the same shit they swallow backstage.

Guest Brian
We're going to counter UFC...by having a night of champions...cutting promos! I've saved wrestling again!!!

I told the lineup for the Night of Champions and how it'd be going up against UFC and my mark friends of Attitude days gone by actually favored the Night of Champions :(

(Vince McMahon)

We're going to counter UFC...by having a night of champions...cutting promos! I've saved wrestling again!!!

I thought this was just a throwaway snarky comment...then I scroll up...

Let's just call it "Night of Stale As Shit Characters That We've Tried to Milk the Saggy Tits of Yet Again Because We Haven't Done One ****ing Original Thing In About Five Years."

Since this board has a ton of Hitman fans, let me ask this:

If Bret Hart was announced as appearing, would people be singing a different tune? Yes, I fully acknowledge & understand that he wouldn't do something like this just to help his arch-enemy ... but pretend that the price was right, and he was willing to go against his word & beliefs ... would people think differently about the Night of Champions?

For me, since I don't put Bret Hart on a pedastal, would think the same thing I do now about the "Night Of Champions".

My problem with the "Night of Champions" is where is the action? None of the guys they are bringing in is going to be working or wrestling, yet they are going to have the spotlight on them and not the workers. I'm not saying I won't watch it later on Tivo, but I'd rather be watching MNF and UFC that night, where I know there will be something going on besides talking. It's not like I've never heard any of the "champs" not talk or cut promos. Plus, none of them are staying long term except HHH, and I'd rather watch football and real fighting than listen to another long winded promo from him. Even if Foley were coming back to work a program in conjunction with his book, I still have no motivation to watch it live versus live football and UFC. I want action, and the only action "Night of Champions" will probrably be providing is from guys like Carlito, Snitsky, and Chris Masters.

Uh, I'll be watching Raw on Tuesday, thank you very much.

Guest Brian

Well, I'd probably think alot less of Hart if he did that. I accept that he made the DVD to preserve his career, and it saved a rehash of Montreal by the WWE, but there is no reason for him to sho up on WWE.

Plus, I'm going to suppport UFC.

Bret Hart would be exciting because he would be the one guy that hasn't "come back" to appear on WWE TV at least three times in the past three years or so.

Guest Brian

No doubt people would watch, but the quote in my sig really says alot. It'd be a complete concession on his part.

I wonder why... ::looks at MJ's sig::

Um, whether I want him to go is irrelevant and is different than I think he will. As you mentioned when asked about WWE he still badmouths them, when asked about TNA he's said he'd be open to it. With the news that Mick Foley was supposed to be their big surpise figurehead and that fell through, they're going to be looking for someone else to fill that role, and Hart would be buzzworthy. Plus, unlike Foley, if WWE threw more money at him to get him to come to WWE instead, Hart would turn it down on principle.

Guest Brian

Do you know what is the best thing that could happen for the WWE, though? If the UFC show is able to take a significant portion of the young audience, the WWE and Vince just might recognize, finally, how they've alienated part of the audience, and how bringing in older stars is not the answer. I doubt they'll come away from it like that.

BTW, how are they not going to get away with Triple H burying somebody on this show? He's the only active wrestler returning, and he'll almost certainly come back a heel, so unless they're booking this show within a vacuum (and that wouldn't really surprise me either), they're going to have to do something strong with him, either putting him over one of these guys or Cena.

Guest jkt

RAW returns to the USA Network!.... with less action and more talking than EVER!

If ANY (besides Foley) of those guys would show up to put over the young talent I would be happy.

Guest Brian
RAW returns to the USA Network!.... with less action and more talking than EVER!

If ANY (besides Foley) of those guys would show up to put over the young talent I would be happy.

The problem with that is, few of them can wrestle and most of them will bury a good deal of talent on the mic. And even those that do wrestle probably have some rust, which won't help in putting them over.

The problem with that is, few of them can wrestle and most of them will bury a good deal of talent on the mic. And even those that do wrestle probably have some rust, which won't help in putting them over.

The Night of Champions guests are major league stars while the "young talent" are mere AAA journymen. The only person I can see putting anybody over would be the Rock but he is above the wrestling business now so it won't happen..... the only option is to bring in the Attitude Era Champions as managers and pray that they do a better job than what Roddy Pipper did on Smackdown.

The 10/3 live Raw debut on the USA Network was announced today as being extended for three hours. This was firing back at Spike TV, which was keeping the first run Ultimate Fighter episode at 11:05 p.m. that night hoping to draw not only the viewers from its own live special, but get the Raw viewers that were watching UF to switch back when the show ended.

From Meltzer.

Guest Brian

Two things from Meltz:

--WWE is sending out an ad for tickets for the big Raw in Dallas on 10/3 that we received that listed the day as "Sunday, October 3," but does also list it as a live "Monday Night Raw." The event does take place on Monday. By the way, tickets go on sale tomorrow at 10 a.m. Of all the regulars on Raw, only Flair, Michaels, Angle, Cena, Carlito, Torrie Wilson and Ashley with no last name are mentioned in the ad besides the real stars who never work Raw listed as the headliners. Austin is listed first ahead of Hogan. Cena is listed 9th.

The 10/3 live Raw debut on the USA Network was announced today as being extended for three hours. This was firing back at Spike TV, which was keeping the first run Ultimate Fighter episode at 11:05 p.m. that night hoping to draw not only the viewers from its own live special, but get the Raw viewers that were watching UF to switch back when the show ended.