TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
UseTheSledgehammerUh

Christopher Daniels Vs. Samoa Joe Vs. AJ Styles

Have you seen it? What did you think?

If you have, what WWE/Indies/TNA matches topped it?

THE MATCH

Daniels taunts the challengers. Leads to a Joe & Styles double-team beat-down. AJ with rights and Joe with chops. Joe & AJ try to top each other with two stiff kicks each to Daniels' back. Daniels adrenalines up...but is double-kicked back down by Joe & Styles.

AJ tries two small packages and a roll-up but only gets two on Joe each time. Joe quickly responds with a modified "Rings of Saturn" on Styles, broken up by Daniels. Daniels levels Styles with a running leg lariat. Joe gets into it, hitting Daniels with chops and an enzugiri. Joe chops and kicks Styles, but is tripped by Daniels from the floor. Daniels hits his trademark right punches on AJ, and a forearm for Joe. Daniels then hits an awesome Combination Bulldog (on AJ) and Enzugiri (on Joe) to take down the challengers. Two on AJ.

Joe & Daniels exchange chops, neither man can get an advantage, however. Daniels runs into Joe, who hits the champion with a modified chokeslam. AJ comes at Joe, delivering a headscissors takedown. AJ delivers the leaping forearm smash to Daniels, but Joe catches the second attempt and delivers a release overhead belly-to-belly suplex.

Joe with multiple facewashes on AJ, but Daniels comes off the ropes and shoulderblocks Joe to the floor. Daniels through the ropes connects both feet with Joe's body. Daniels hits a split-legged moonsault off the top rope to Joe on the arena floor! Crowd chants "TNA!" Both men are up, but AJ Styles delivers a perfect springboard Shooting Star Press to Joe & Daniels on the floor! Crowd chants "Holy Shit!" AJ does a Ken Shamrock-esque "psyched up" yell! Two on Joe.

Back in the ring, Joe & AJ both off the ropes, AJ lands a beautiful Dropsault on Joe. Forearm shots by AJ to Joe, but Daniels breaks it up. Daniels gives Styles a monkey flip, which AJ turns into a hurancanrana, taking down Joe! Crowd chants "TNA!" Styles runs at Daniels, but the champion backdrops him high and to the floor. Dueling chants of "Fallen Angel!" and "Let's Go Joe!"

It's Daniels Vs. Joe. Daniels hits a running knee strike and several punches. Joe has enough, delivers a dozen palm thrusts and knees to the face. Daniels ducks a clothesline and attempts a "Backlund Bridge" on Joe, but is locked in the Clutch! The crowd chants "Tap!" Styles quickly gets to the top rope, and delivers a perfect Spiral Tap to both Daniels & Joe! Crowd chants "AJ!" AJ gets 2 on Joe and then 2 on Daniels. Daniels throws Styles to the floor.

Daniels hits an STO on Joe. Daniels attempts the Best Moonsault Ever, but AJ pushes his legs out and crotches him on the top rope. Daniels hands upside down in the Tree of Woe as AJ stomps him. Joe comes from out of nowhere with a Running Enzugiri on AJ, and delivers a running dropkick to Daniels' face! Crowd chants "This is Awesome!"

Styles tries to get some offense in, but Joe hits Styles with a combination of Inverted Atomic Drop, Running Yakuza Kick, and Senton Back Splash! Only gets 2. Joe with two knees to Daniels, the third is caught, and Daniels delivers a huge Death Valley Driver to SJoe for two!

AJ and Daniels decide to film a martial arts movie. Daniels suplexes AJ, who lands on the ring apron. Daniels elbows him to the floor. Daniels crossbody over the top, AJ moves, but Daniels lands on his feet. AJ runs at Daniels and jumps to the apron when Daniels moves. AJ backflips over Daniels off the apron. They trade rights until Samoa Joe comes running full steam with a twisting flying attack over the top rope! Crowd chants "Holy Shit!" Super hot "JoeJoeJoeJoe!" chant, too quick for commas!

Back in, Joe tries for the Muscle Buster on Daniels, but gets his eyes raked. Styles climbs up and fights with Daniels. Joe climbs up top, grabs one leg from each man, and backdrops both to the center of the ring! "TNA!" chant. AJ and Joe trade shots, and finally AJ goes crazy and punches Joe back into a corner. Joe thinks "Fuck Air Paris and Fuck Air Raid!", fights back, ducks an Enzugiri, and drops Styles on his neck with a release overhead German suplex! "Joe!" chant.

Joe puts Styles on the top and delivers the Muscle Buster! Daniels, outside, grabs the X-Title. Daniels runs at Joe but is caught with a powerslam! Joe grabs the X-Title and taunts Daniels. The referee and Joe tug for the title. Daniels delivers a running enzugiri, kicking the title belt into Joe's face! AJ and Daniels then trade rights and reversals, with AJ running at Daniels and being drilled by the Fallen Angel's beautiful spinning Blue Thunder Bomb! Two!

Rock Bottom/Chokeslam by Daniels on Styles, of the non-Urunage type. BEST MOONSAULT EVER! But Joe breaks it up! Joe with two stiff kicks to Daniels jaw, but Daniels blocks the third. Jawbreaker by the champion on Joe. Daniels applies a Dragon Sleeper, and then nails a "Roll the Dice"/"Test Drive" to send Joe to the floor!

Daniels and AJ in the ring, to dueling "Fallen Angel!" and "Let's go AJ!" chants. They trade shots...AJ running, springboard backflip over Daniels into a reverse DDT! 2.9! AJ up top, but Daniels with a palm strike! Daniels climbs up and delivers a superplex! Joe in and covers Daniels for two. Covers Daniels, only 2.

Joe powerbombs Daniels for two, and as Daniels kicks out Joe locks on the STF! Daniels finally gets to the ropes. Joe goes to work on AJ, throwing rights, but AJ lands the Pele Kick out of nowhere! AJ grabs Joe and puts him in the Torture Rack, then spins him around for a slam! Only 2! Crowd again: "This is awesome!" Daniels attack, slamming AJ on Joe.

Daniels with elbow strikes to AJ. Daniels runs off the ropes, but AJ floats over into a sunset flip. AJ stands with Daniels legs...he pulls him up...STYLES CLASH! What a counter! Joe (weakly) breaks it up at 2.99. Joe throws AJ to the floor. Joe runs at Daniels, but Daniels dodges and Joe goes crashing to the floor.

AJ rolls in. Daniels and AJ trade rights. Daniels with a thumb to the eyes. Daniels attempts the Angel's Wings, gets AJ up, but Styles comes back down to his feet! Styles backdrops Daniels, with the arms still locked, and Daniels kicks his feet to break free, but cannot, and the 3 count is made!

Winner: AJ Styles

So yeah, it's a pretty good match.

I would like to vehemently concur.

I don't even know what TNA tv will consist of, but if they replay that match where most people can watch it, they'll make a few new fans...

Not MoTY but a great effort. The first 15 minutes was a bunch of really good "can you top this" stuff, and I thought it lost steam after the belt spot. Really great spot style indy matches, but I think I've seen 10 better indy matches this year.

10? I can think of 5-6...or...well...okay...I could see you saying 10. But still. I could see someone ranking this in the top 5 and wouldn't really argue.

But you didn't actually say WHY it was MOTY. You just gave us some PBP and that was it. What makes this the MOTY? Genuine question - I haven't seen it.

In my opinion, the following matches from ROH this year were all better than the 3-way:

Punk vs. Rave (2/26 ROH)

Joe vs. Aries (2/26 ROH)

Joe/Lethal vs. Spanky/Punk (3/12 ROH)

Dragon vs. Spanky (4/2 ROH)

Aries vs. Gibson (4/16 ROH)

Joe vs. Lethal (5/7 ROH)

Aries vs. Danielson (5/14 ROH)

Punk vs. Rave (5/14 ROH)

Punk vs. Aries (6/18 ROH)

Punk vs. Lethal (7/8 ROH)

Joe vs. Aries (7/9 ROH)

Punk vs. Strong (7/9 ROH)

Styles vs. Strong (7/16 ROH)

Punk vs. Gibson (7/16 ROH)

Punk vs. Daniels (7/23 ROH)

I'm sure those that were totally blown away by the 3 way won't agree with me on a lot of these, but I'm a much bigger fan of well structured, logical singles matches than "can you top this?" 3-way dances. Don't get me wrong, I liked the 3-way, but it really lost its steam post belt spot.

Guest *KNK*
In my opinion, the following matches from ROH this year were all better than the 3-way:

Punk vs. Rave (2/26 ROH)

Joe vs. Aries (2/26 ROH)

Joe/Lethal vs. Spanky/Punk (3/12 ROH)

Dragon vs. Spanky (4/2 ROH)

Aries vs. Gibson (4/16 ROH)

Joe vs. Lethal (5/7 ROH)

Aries vs. Danielson (5/14 ROH)

Punk vs. Rave (5/14 ROH)

Punk vs. Aries (6/18 ROH)

Punk vs. Lethal (7/8 ROH)

Joe vs. Aries (7/9 ROH)

Punk vs. Strong (7/9 ROH)

Styles vs. Strong (7/16 ROH)

Punk vs. Gibson (7/16 ROH)

Punk vs. Daniels (7/23 ROH)

I'm sure those that were totally blown away by the 3 way won't agree with me on a lot of these, but I'm a much bigger fan of well structured, logical singles matches than "can you top this?" 3-way dances.  Don't get me wrong, I liked the 3-way, but it really lost its steam post belt spot.

How can you have that list and leave off the actual 2005 MOTY?

James Gibson Vs CM Punk Vs Samoa Joe Vs Christopher Daniels

'Scuse me I didn't notice the subtitle, I wouldn't say that this was MOTY, although it's the best match I'VE seen this year, I'm sure there's probably been better.

But it was really impressive.

It was a fun match. Total spotfest, but it was paced excellently and the selling was pretty good. The belt spot was much, much too contrived, but I don't think the match really fell apart after that point. It slowed down considerably sure, but that makes sense given that it was later in the match and the guys had all taken a fair bit of punishment. Probably the best 3 way I've ever seen, which isn't saying a whole lot. I'd call it very good, just short of being a MOTYC.

Look, I haven't seen any ROH this year so I don't have that frame of reference, but TNA wise, I'd say, yes it shoots to the top of TNA MOTY. If you include WWE it's probably only competing with Michaels/Angle from WM21 (which Im still slightly partial to). Great freakin' match, that had me standing and cheering for most of it.

Guest OSIcon

My main problem with this match was that it was just too much. I was watching the match and would constantly think to myself "Wait....what move did Daniels get hit with one minute ago?" It was just SO many moves thrown out there one after another that they all began to run together for me.

The match was all "look at the athletic things we can do" which in itself can be fine. The problem was more in the pacing and layout I guess. There was too much happening in rapid fire conjuction that not only is it hard for any move to mean anything a second after it happens, but I actually found myself almost bored with it by the end. There needs to be something to pull you into a match. Here, that "pull" was all the cool moves they do. After 15 minutes of that though, it was no longer pulling me in.

I probably prefer Joe/Sabin and Joe/Styles to this.

I think it's important to remeber that the top 3 companies are going after 3 different styles of wrestling right now.

If you are looking for a great wrestling match...Ring of Honor is for you. They are leaps and bounds ahead of TNA and WWE for smart, well constructed wrestling matches and feuds. Gabe is the best booker of the 3. He knows what his audience wants, and has found the most talented guys to fill those roles.

If you want fun fast paced wrestling that you don't have to really think too hard on...TNA is for you. I fully believe that the 3 way last night would look totally different if the same 3 guys did it in RoH. But TNA wants them to work fast and frenzied. It results in really good shows...but it doesn't always make sense.

If you're a fan of ridiculous storylines that are more important than the matches...then watch WWE. Outside of a few performers...their shows blow.

What I really take from last nights show is this: Samoa Joe, AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels made a really strong case to be the face of a company about to hit a point that no one thought they could. And...Austin Aries and Roderick Strong can do in 8 minutes what many people can't do in 20. They worked a match with no storyline...and no hype...and blew away anything that Smackdown or Raw has done outside of a few HBK matches this year. (Side note...I hate HBK...when did he get so good?)

As much as I enjoyed that 3 way...I don't think it was as good as the Strong and Aries vs. Spanky and Rave match that I saw in RoH last month.

But it all comes down to taste.

TNA moty? Maybe. I've watched it twice now...and it is pure fun from start to finish (it didn't lose much after the belt shot for me...as I took it as Daniels doing anything to win...and also I really didn't know who was going to pull out the victory. A rarity for a main event).

I still think the rapidfire aspect comes hand and hand with 3 way matches. there are three people and while one is selling, another is getting done selling the move he took earlier and it rotates. I mean, take a match like the London/Styles/Low-Ki three way in ROH (I am just pulling this one because I watched it last night). Even though it was in ROH, it still is quite rapidfire.

This 3 way was very structured if you ask me. Once you accept the fact that some things are the nature of the match type itself, they had a extremely tight and well worked match out there.

The first 15 minutes was a bunch of really good "can you top this" stuff, and I thought it lost steam after the belt spot.

Agreed on that. That's a minor complaint though, it was still an excellent contest, even if the stretch run didn't match the awesomeness of the body.

I still think the rapidfire aspect comes hand and hand with 3 way matches.  there are three people and while one is selling, another is getting done selling the move he took earlier and it rotates.  I mean, take a match like the London/Styles/Low-Ki three way in ROH (I am just pulling this one because I watched it last night).  Even though it was in ROH, it still is quite rapidfire. 

This 3 way was very structured if you ask me.  Once you accept the fact that some things are the nature of the match type itself, they had a extremely tight and well worked match out there.

Do you have that match, Rip? I have been dying to see Low-Ki, and can;t find any decent matches anywhere aside from the ones I have. Ki in the same ring with Styles and London sounds like a hell of a match to me.

I think it's important to remeber that the top 3 companies are going after 3 different styles of wrestling right now.

If you are looking for a great wrestling match...Ring of Honor is for you. They are leaps and bounds ahead of TNA and WWE for smart, well constructed wrestling matches and feuds. Gabe is the best booker of the 3. He knows what his audience wants, and has found the most talented guys to fill those roles.

If you want fun fast paced wrestling that you don't have to really think too hard on...TNA is for you. I fully believe that the 3 way last night would look totally different if the same 3 guys did it in RoH. But TNA wants them to work fast and frenzied. It results in really good shows...but it doesn't always make sense.

If you're a fan of ridiculous storylines that are more important than the matches...then watch WWE. Outside of a few performers...their shows blow.

You hit it right on top of the head with that statement. I'm really digging TNA right now because of the fast paced, more athletic style of match... but RoH has them both covered when it comes to excellent matches overall. I haven't seen very many bad matches in RoH, and the majority of those were in the first year or two, when they were getting off the ground.

And I agree about wrestlers looking different in TNA than in RoH, and Low-Ki is the perfect example. I think that he uses (or is allowed to use) about 2/3 of his moveset in TNA than when he wrestles in RoH. The match I saw with him and Joe stiffing the hell out of each other made my jaw drop.

I still think the rapidfire aspect comes hand and hand with 3 way matches.  there are three people and while one is selling, another is getting done selling the move he took earlier and it rotates.  I mean, take a match like the London/Styles/Low-Ki three way in ROH (I am just pulling this one because I watched it last night).  Even though it was in ROH, it still is quite rapidfire. 

This 3 way was very structured if you ask me.  Once you accept the fact that some things are the nature of the match type itself, they had a extremely tight and well worked match out there.

Do you have that match, Rip? I have been dying to see Low-Ki, and can;t find any decent matches anywhere aside from the ones I have. Ki in the same ring with Styles and London sounds like a hell of a match to me.

I will drop a yousendit link when I get home. Its not DVD quality or anything (I think its a 320/240, but its a damn fine match.

Isn't that Honor Invades Boston?

People, people, that DVD is classic.

You also have the briscoes and some other stuff on there.

Get it.

Also, I would say that the very first ROH show, with the three way between Daniels, Dragon, and Lowki was about as good as this one. Maybe a little bit better. It started out exactly the same, so I was worried that I was going to see the same match four years later (its amazing its been that long) but it wasn't, thank god.

I too suggest buying the DVD, but nothing wrong with try before you buy. Like I said, its 320/240 so I am sure people will want to get it at a better resolution. Its uploading now and I will hit you guys with the link as soon as it finishes.

Not to be overly negative, but one other thing bothered me....Joe was just another guy in this match. It felt like an AJ/Daniels match with Joe there too to hit his spots. I mean, here you have a guy with an undefeated mystique, and he takes a DVD, a Torture Rack, and then some big spinning slam. He could have just as easily been any other X guy in my opinion. I think this is classic AJ and Daniels, and it's part of what holds them back.

You know...I actually thought that too when I watched it a second time. The first time I was distracted by the fact that I had no idea who would win... It wasn't TNA's strongest effort in putting Joe over...but they did kind of correct it when they had him looking pissed at not winning (and yet not losing) after the match.

Until they make the decision to move Joe to the World title picture (which I think will happen...but not for months and months) Styles and Daniels are his main peers. He made AJ tap out under interference last month...and didn't win this month. I still think they will put the title on him before he takes a fall.

Well Joe also was the one who took the Belt Shot which I think should account for TNA trying to protect him. He was booked like that so he doesn't have to be lowered by actually losing the match. Hopefully that will lead to Joe vs AJ with a clean finish this time around. I'd say Joe goes over, AJ moves to the Main Event again (against Raven?), Daniels comes back in and says that Joe never beat him and he wants his belt back. The booking writes itself, just from how this particular match went.

On a side note, I've really enjoyed what bps21 has been contributing to this thread.

I miss the days when bps was doing the TNA reviews, and Dames was doing PPVs... nothing against PK and JHawk, they don;t have good jobs in reviewing the crap that the E has been spewing for the last year or three and I don;t envy them...

I miss the days when bps was doing the TNA reviews, and Dames was doing PPVs... nothing against PK and JHawk, they don;t have good jobs in reviewing the crap that the E has been spewing for the last year or three and I don;t envy them...

Me too...I would always look forward to reading those before and after big TNA shows.