TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Use Your Illusion

Metal Gear Solid 4 to feature much older Snake...

For someone who doesn't have a PS3 and doesn't want one... I am fucking psyched to see this come out. I'm probably just gonna head over to my friend's house and hunker down and play the epicness once he gets it.

I'm also not getting a PS3 but am interested to see how they wrap up the story. Unfortunately from what I read, this game has some loooong ass cutscenes. I mean "second half of MGS2 holy shit Colonel stop talking about information control and let me play the fucking game" long.

I won't have a PS3 for at least a couple months. Sucks that I'll miss out on the MGS4 bundle, since getting the game plus a new DualShock 3 controller along with the 80gb system for the same price as the system itself is normally would be an amazing deal.

However, I will be picking up the Essential MGS Collection (MGS 1-3) next week when it goes ons ale at CC for $23.99. I have never played any of the games in the series save for maybe 3-4 hours of the GameCube remake of the original.

I'm also not getting a PS3 but am interested to see how they wrap up the story. Unfortunately from what I read, this game has some loooong ass cutscenes. I mean "second half of MGS2 holy shit Colonel stop talking about information control and let me play the fucking game" long.

I won't mind the cutscenes as long as they are explained properly. MGS2's ending extravaganza just made me go..... :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :ph34r:

:huh:

It's one of my favorite games of all time, but Jesus Christ that ending.

Oh yeah, this guy took time out of his life to show all the story from the entire series. God bless him.

Yeah. MikeSC (who may not have a good reputation on this board but IS a devoted gamer) mentioned that the game barely fit on the Blu-Ray disc.

I mean, what the fuck.

Yeah. MikeSC (who may not have a good reputation on this board but IS a devoted gamer) mentioned that the game barely fit on the Blu-Ray disc.

I mean, what the fuck.

Eh, it's Kojima's "masterpiece", I'm willing to give him a bit more leeway with the "look at what I can do to a plot!" cutscenes.

On the other hand, I couldn't make it through Xenosaga Episode 1, so who knows what'll happen to me when I play MGS.

Yeah, if the plot actually makes sense and doesn't devolve into Crackpot Conspiracy Theater, the long cutscenes may actually be interesting. My fear is that, with so many characters involved, the story is just going to whip from subplot to subplot in order to get everything in.

The only problem is that how likely are people going to want to play a game for a half an hour then watch a cutscene for an hour without getting ancy(sp?) and wanting to just skip it so they can start playing again. From everything I have seen and read of the game so far, I have no intention in wanting to sit around and watch a cutscene for more then a few minutes, rather, just skip the thing so I can get back to the gaming.

I basically summed up the MGS series the other day on the other board:

It strikes me as typically Japanese, and what I mean by that is, it's filled with cool stuff and concepts (clones, giant mecha war machines, super soldiers, etc.) but the plot ultimately gets needlessly complicated to the point where you don't quite know what the fuck is going on.

So we got out store copy of the MGS4 strategy guide.

The highest emblem you can attain is:

Big Boss. The requirements are the following:

Zero Kills

Zero Threat levels

Zero regens, rations or noodles

Zero use of the bandana or camo

Zero continues

Total play time of under five hours.

In case you're wondering, the cut-scenes add to the total play time. The clock only stops when you save and at the end of a mission/stage..everything else, it counts. It notes that at one of the stages between its end and to the results screen, it takes 17 minutes and for you to take that into account in your playing of the game.

Well in that case maybe the cut scene lengths are exaggerated because how could you ever beat the game in under five hours if there is even a single cut scene approach 60-90min mark?

The book actually states that you should skip all the cut-scenes in the game. I think the 17 minute one, while it is a cut-scene might be one of those that you just can't skip. The guide tells you that before you even try to go for the emblem, to take your time with the game and figure out how to defeat each boss in the quickest time.

So I just finished the first act. This game is fucking awesome so far and it is only going to get better.

The new camo scheme is great and the customizable weapons are a riot. Adding a shotgun barrel onto an M4-assault rifle is killer.

I am so glad it's friday that way when I finally get around to sitting down to play it tonight, I don't have to worry about getting enough sleep for work. The past couple of nights I regretably had to shut the game off i order to get the bare minimum of sleep to function like a zombie for the work day.....

I just finished act 2 and I'm absolutely loving it so far. I like that the environments seem to be bigger and there's more guys in them. Definitely feels like there's more action. And the weapons are amazing, both the customization and just how ridiculously many different kinds there are. It's like Vagrant Story with guns, heh.

Holy shit Raiden is such a badass now! My jaw just about dropped when he fought Vamp and all those robot things.

I picked up the MGS4 PS3 bundle, more because I wanted to finally go Blu, but I'm more than happy to have MGS4 as well. The fact that they brought back the 80gb PS3 with BC, it has the new DS3, and of course MGS4, it just seemed like the perfect time for me to finally jump on board.

Anyway, about the game. I just started it, and I'm blown away with the visuals. At the very start, the first time when the cutscene merged flawlessly into gameplay, it was just unbelievable. I need to get back into a MGS mindset though, but I'm sure I'll get there soon. I've already had my first laugh in the game also.

Right near the start, maybe the third little area, when you first see the two statues up on a platform where you can get up there next to them, if you cover up the penis on the statue next to you, and do it over and over again a few times, it will eventually break off, and Snake is shocked and has this WTF look on his face.

EDIT:

I just finished Act 1, and it took me 5+ hours!

I am about two "objectives" into Act 4 and I am completely blown away......my only real criticism is that both boss battles thus far have been relatively easy......I say relatively because they might seem difficult at first but once you find an effective way to fight them it becomes extremely easy......an example would be....

Raging Raven, so she looks intimidating as fuck, and oh man that voice is freaky as hell.....so the first time I attempted to fight her, I thought you also had to shoot down all her flying companions, so I was running around all over the building like a fool going up multiple levels, and started shooting her companions down and then she eventually killed me.....so attempt #2, I just decided to equip the RPG and stand behind one of the pillars on the first floor, and it worked and basically made the battle super easy. Not a single time during the boss battle did Raven try to change her stategy or even come forth with a stronger attack(like how sometimes once you get an enemy's life half down they increase the verocity of their attack to make it harder).

Besides that minor criticism(and who's not to say boss battles won't become harder).....fantastic fucking game!!!

I enjoyed Metal Gear Solid 2 for the most part. My only gripes were:

- You couldn't play as Snake again after the Tanker part.

- Twist after twist after twist until I got so lost with the plot that it made my head want to explode from trying to understand what the fuck was going on!

I should really stop reading this thread before I find myself £350 out of pocket.

It's a good investment if you have the money for it. :headbang:

I enjoyed Metal Gear Solid 2 for the most part. My only gripes were:

- You couldn't play as Snake again after the Tanker part.

- Twist after twist after twist until I got so lost with the plot that it made my head want to explode from trying to understand what the fuck was going on!

Once Raiden got caught and Campbell started speaking in tongues it lost me. I just played through it and ignored the codec as much as possible.

I watched the cutscenes on YouTube (I won't get a PS3 and thus won't play this for years) and, not to spoil anything (I won't even use spoiler tags), the story takes a major nosedive towards the end, with some twists and developments that absolutely come out of nowhere. And I hated the ending. Hated it with a passion. Once people finish the game I'll discuss it.

Edited by KingPK

I just finished the game today, and I'm totally satisfied at how it wrapped up, and really with the whole game.

Some of the late game boss fights were great:

- Getting to control Metal Gear Rex to fight a Metal Gear Ray (and run over all those Gekko). Too cool.

- The final fight with Liquid. So dramatic. Cycling through the old MGS music as Ocelot/Liquid changed styles was a neat touch. Best control of the hand-to-hand fights too. It was fun wavedashing around with Snake, heh.

As far as the ending and late game plot, I didn't really have a problem with most of it. I actually thought it did a really good job tying everything together and explaining some of the MGS2 stupidity.

- I really liked their explanation of the Patriots. In addition to marking out for tying it back to MGS3, I thought it made a fair amount of sense (especially for MGS).

- I liked the explanation of why Zero created the AIs, too. I could have done without the AIs altogether, but that was MGS2's fault, heh. The whole Zero/Big Boss rift because of a difference of opinion over The Boss' vision, I thought, was good stuff.

- The first half of the ending was really sappy, but I actually kind of liked it. No reason why some characters can't be happy, heh.

- The second half of the ending (Big Boss), I'm going to have to watch again. It was... interesting. Kojima couldn't let it go without some sort of shocking conspiracy/twist, heh. It wasn't as bad anything MGS2, for sure, but it was kind of unnecessarily convoluted. At least it explained Liquid's arm. That was the stupidest thing ever, so any attempt at an explanation there is a plus.

Anyway, definitely need to play through it again to see how it ties together now that I know the end...

- The second half of the ending (Big Boss), I'm going to have to watch again. It was... interesting. Kojima couldn't let it go without some sort of shocking conspiracy/twist, heh. It wasn't as bad anything MGS2, for sure, but it was kind of unnecessarily convoluted. At least it explained Liquid's arm. That was the stupidest thing ever, so any attempt at an explanation there is a plus.

The game should have just ended with Snake killing himself to completely end the bloodline. It's not a "happy" ending, but it would have brought complete closure to the series. The whole thing about Ocelot not actually being possessed is an explanation, but then it makes you feel like an asshole for actually trying to stop him because he's trying to do exactly what you want to do: stop the Patriots.

What did you think about Johnny and Meryl? Was there ANY past backstory to infer any romantic feelings between these two other than Johnny admiring her ass in MGS1?

The game should have just ended with Snake killing himself to completely end the bloodline. It's not a "happy" ending, but it would have brought complete closure to the series. The whole thing about Ocelot not actually being possessed is an explanation, but then it makes you feel like an asshole for actually trying to stop him because he's trying to do exactly what you want to do: stop the Patriots.

Oh I definitely agree that it should have ended with Snake killing himself. The teaser credits should have been the real credits. I'm not really surprised they didn't have the heart to kill Snake, though.

That certainly would have been less confusing. I'm having trouble working my way through the logic of the anti-Patriot plot. If Ocelot and Eva were on the same side, why would they be trying to kill each other over the body of the fake Big Boss in Act 3? Didn't Eva know that Ocelot's objectives were the same as hers? And even though it explains the arm, what exactly did Ocelot accomplish by turning himself mentally into Liquid? Why not just oppose the Patriots as Ocelot? Heh, shocking swerves complicate everything.

What did you think about Johnny and Meryl? Was there ANY past backstory to infer any romantic feelings between these two other than Johnny admiring her ass in MGS1?

The only backstory was at the end of act 3, they gave each other longing looks after Johnny saved Meryl. But yeah, the whole scene was B-movie trash. It was really funny, though, intentionally or not.

I should really stop reading this thread before I find myself £350 out of pocket.

Pretty much has had that effect on me as well. Although, I'm paying it off and holding until X-Mas.

At least that is the plan.

I may go buy a PS3 for this game. Will probably get the 80GB version that's bundled with it. I wasn't really even pining for a PS3 that much, but basically everyone else I know that plays video games has one...so, eh, why not? Wife said it was OK.

I must be getting old...the wife says I can go out and buy a new video game system, and I'm like "Hmmm...I'm not sure if I should spend that much money right now on a video game system."

Pretty much has had that effect on me as well. Although, I'm paying it off and holding until X-Mas.

At least that is the plan.

Its still tugging at me to buy one, more so now my Xbox is broken :wub: