TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EdwardKnoxII

Smallville Season 5 Thread

Guest JMA

I think the producers know that they made a mistake with season four and will try to correct it in season five. The crappy witch storyline and the overexposure of Lana are what hurt the last season. Having credible villains (instead of kryptonite induced metahumans) and the Fortress of Solitude is a step in the right direction.

Guest Askewniverse

New opening credits sequence. Erica Durance is now a regular cast member.

Season Four nearly killed my interest in the show. Hopefully, this season will be a lot better.

Guest JMA

That was a great season premier of Smallville--quite possibly the best one.

Things I Enjoyed Most:

- Kryptonian villains. It's about time Clark got some decent villains on the show.

- The Fortress of Solitude. The creation was awesome and now Clark has a place he can go to take a break from the world (when he gets his powers back).

- No witch crap. Pretty self-explanatory.

- Lex acting evil. I think this is the season he's finally going to turn on Clark.

- The Phantom Zone. The show handled this element very well and the tribute to the Reeve movies (with the "Square of Doom") was a nice touch.

- Lionel as a prophet. The mention of Zod got my attention and I'm wondering what else he'll reveal.

- Clark losing his powers. This is something that will carry on to the next episode, which is good for this show. It's another element from Superman II (with Lana in the Lois role) and I hope they pull it off as well.

- The introduction of Brainiac. I've always liked Brainiac and I'm a huge fan of James Marsters, so this is great in my view. I wonder how they'll connect Brainiac with Krypton, though. This Brainiac doesn't really seem like an android or sentient computer.

Guest JMA
I think we might have gotten some bad info.  It looks to me that Marsters is Zod, but I might be wrong.

Marsters himself said he would be Brainiac. The Zod thing is probably to throw people off. For all we know, Zod died on Krypton and only his followers escaped. Zod could even be some kind of religious figure in the Smallville universe.

why is everybody confused about the Zod thing? Lionel referred to the two Kryptonions as the Disciples of Zod, ie, followers of his teachings or whatever. its just a way of ripping off Superman 2 without outright shitting on its continuity by actually having it be Zod.

See- this sucks. Now that I'm actually at home at night, and I can watch TV, I wanted to watch so many new shows. But then Criminal minds is on at the same time as Lost (I believe), and Smallville goes up against Alias.

Grr. Argh.

What's with the hate on Season 4? I mean it had some really slow points (the last 3 or 4 episodes before the finale were just BRUTAL) but otherwise it was a lot of fun (FLASH GORDON BITCHES) and had a solid story to boot.

I thought the new intro was pretty cool though I don't know why everyone is portrayed like some model. It's especially creepy with Annette O'Toole, who's supposed to be like an old school mom figure.

Kryptonian villains SUCKED! Way to get smacked out in 2 minutes.

My first reaction to Marsters was Zod. WTF is Brainiac?

Any clue on how Clark gets his powers back?

Guest JesusJuiced

Blame Lana, Lana's storylines and Lana's overexposure that overshadowed characters like Chloe as reasons why season four sucked.

What's with the hate on Season 4?  I mean it had some really slow points (the last 3 or 4 episodes before the finale were just BRUTAL) but otherwise it was a lot of fun (FLASH GORDON BITCHES) and had a solid story to boot.

I thought the new intro was pretty cool though I don't know why everyone is portrayed like some model.  It's especially creepy with Annette O'Toole, who's supposed to be like an old school mom figure.

Kryptonian villains SUCKED!  Way to get smacked out in 2 minutes.

My first reaction to Marsters was Zod.  WTF is Brainiac?

Any clue on how Clark gets his powers back?

Brainiac is another Superman villain. And it's "The Flash" not "Flash Gordon". Flash Gordon is something totally non Superman related.

Guest JMA
What's with the hate on Season 4?  I mean it had some really slow points (the last 3 or 4 episodes before the finale were just BRUTAL) but otherwise it was a lot of fun (FLASH GORDON BITCHES) and had a solid story to boot.

Many fans (including myself) hated the witch storyline and the focus on Lana in season four. There were other factors, but those are the main reasons people disliked the last season. I thought the awesome season finale made up for the blandness in the last season, though.

My first reaction to Marsters was Zod.  WTF is Brainiac?

Brainiac is the villain Marsters will be playing. He's had many different interpretations in the comics (an android, an overweight mentalist posessed by an alien intelligence, ect), but you may remember him as the bald green guy with no pants from the Super Friends.

If anyone is curious, they can read the slight spoilers here. It basically tells what Brainiac will be doing this season. However, if you'd prefer to be surprised, I'd advise not reading.

Wait...this show quit being about Lana and Lex and became about SUPERMAN?

Thursday nights has become too crowded.

The thing I don't like about Smallville is how exposed Lex Luthor is to all Clark's powers. I mean, unless they run an amnesia angle, how would they ever explain Luthor not realising Kent is Superman? Maybe it doesn't matter, as the show won't go as far as a costumed Superman, but still.

This episode was ok, but the villains were disposed of far too quickly. Reminds me of last season, where the cliff hanger was resolved in like 1 episode.

Gotta say, the whole premiere of Season 4 put me off Smallville for the entire season. Didn't watch one episode after that first one. Saw Season 5 the other night and my faith in the show is renewed. Good shit all around.

And for adding Brainiac.. suh-weet! :D

The only thing that is kinda offputting for me is the implied sex between Lana and Clark later in the season. I'm sorry but if that happens all that will be going through my head will be:

Brodie: It's impossible, Lois could never have Superman's baby. Do you think her fallopian tubes could handle the sperm? I guarantee you he blows a load like a shotgun right through her back. What about her womb? Do you think it's strong enough to carry her child?

T.S. Quint: Sure, why not?

Brodie: He's an alien, for Christ sake. His Kyrptonian biological makeup is enhanced by earth's yellow sun. If Lois gets a tan the kid could kick right through her stomach. Only someone like Wonder Woman has a strong enough uterus to carry his kid. The only way he could bang regular chicks is with a kryptonite condom. That would kill him.

I know it's about Lois and not Lana, but that Mallrats conversation is valid nontheless.

The only thing that is kinda offputting for me is the implied sex between Lana and Clark later in the season.  I'm sorry but if that happens all that will be going through my head will be:

Brodie: It's impossible, Lois could never have Superman's baby. Do you think her fallopian tubes could handle the sperm? I guarantee you he blows a load like a shotgun right through her back. What about her womb? Do you think it's strong enough to carry her child?

T.S. Quint: Sure, why not?

Brodie: He's an alien, for Christ sake. His Kyrptonian biological makeup is enhanced by earth's yellow sun. If Lois gets a tan the kid could kick right through her stomach. Only someone like Wonder Woman has a strong enough uterus to carry his kid. The only way he could bang regular chicks is with a kryptonite condom. That would kill him.

I know it's about Lois and not Lana, but that Mallrats conversation is valid nontheless.

That, is fucking awesome.