TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

Jim Ross possibly leaving RAW announce team

My God, a big beard with a KISS t-shirt to boot.

It's too bad he looked like a schmuck and was gone by the next show, as the promo he delivered was fun.

Tony sounding like he was calling a match to Mike Tenay while cutting a heel promo seemed a bit awkward, though.

They should get rid of the King while they are at it.  I was cringing while he was mentioning puppies during the Bra and Panties match.  The guy acts like it is still 1999.

Well, to give him some credit, there was a puppy near the ring for the match...Torrie's little sliver of a dog that she's been bringing out lately.

Well, to give him some credit, there was a puppy near the ring for the match...Torrie's little sliver of a dog that she's been bringing out lately.

Another one of WWE's ways to make one of the crappy announcers' cliches sound good.

Nice try, WWE, but I wasn't entertained.

Last I heard, Tony was doing sports news for KRGR, the radio network of the Kroger grocery stores before they dropped the channel.

I look forward to the Rumble every year, since its the one time I get to hear Tazz and J.R. on commentary. For some odd reason, they seem to perfectly complement eachother, and make for an entertaining pair.

Why not put Josh Matthews on RAW? He seems to have a pretty good knowledge of move names, and different styles, which is something that RAW's commentary has been lacking for a while.

Why not put Josh Matthews on RAW?  He seems to have a pretty good knowledge of move names, and different styles, which is something that RAW's commentary has been lacking for a while.

One mention of "ROH" and WWE will fire him after his first night on Raw, since WWE only wants pretty-boy announcers who don't know anything about wrestling.

Guest *KNK*
Last I heard, Tony was doing sports news for KRGR, the radio network of the Kroger grocery stores before they dropped the channel.

I look forward to the Rumble every year, since its the one time I get to hear Tazz and J.R. on commentary.  For some odd reason, they seem to perfectly complement eachother, and make for an entertaining pair. 

Why not put Josh Matthews on RAW?  He seems to have a pretty good knowledge of move names, and different styles, which is something that RAW's commentary has been lacking for a while.

That's precisely why Matthews will never be used for Raw or Smackdown. He knows too much and has a tendency to show that and start talking about other promotions.

Guest I miss Test.

I want Nash as an announcer.

Big plus is that he'd stop wrestling.

Mathews makes for a good Tenay, but Tenay isn't a good JR. The role of the announcer isn't just to call moves, it's about selling. Mathews, while good at the technical aspects, isn't good at conveying a feeling. Then again, JR has about 3 modes to convey feeling - Insane JR, Indignant JR, and Somber JR. That's still 3 more than anyone else they have, sadly.

I do think they need to find an alternative to JR, simply because the announcers are an integral part of the show and if someone who watched back in 99 turns to hear JR and the King do the same schtick they did 7 years ago, why would they start to watch the same thing they gave up? There was a shift in announcers in the mid-90's, and while that's certainly not the reason why WWE became successful, I think it helped having different voices than the 80's boom.

And they can't fire him and just replace him, he needs to retire and it needs to be on-air.

Guest *KNK*
I want Nash as an announcer.

Big plus is that he'd stop wrestling.

Big minus is that he'd put himself over and bury the product...

Well I don't see a negative in that last part but Nash would be decent if he didn't put himself over or repeat unfunny jokes.

I liked the Jericho suggestion someone made here eariler and let's be honest, It's not that hard to logically bring him back.

The lawsuit angle is good enough to get Jericho behind the booth and it's not too contrived.

Jericho should be a bitter tweener who has no problems mocking the faces but will openly challenge the heel's logic.

He'll be funny, informative and too good for WWE's security.

I'm shocked we haven't gotten a "BRING BACK HEYMAN" remark yet.

I have to admit, when the time comes, it will be very strange without RAW closing with JR's signature "BAH GAWD! TRIPLE H! YOU SON OF A BITCH! DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT YOU'VE JUST DONE?!".

I didnt think about Josh Matthews's referring to other promotions on Velocity. It really puts him over as an intelligent person that has a vast knowledge of the business.

Guest I miss Test.
Big minus is that he'd put himself over and bury the product...

Verbal burying of the WWE sounds like good television to me.

I liked the 'rotating' announcer stuff Nitro/RAW used to do around 99.

IIRC Raw had Cole, JR, Lawler, Kevin Kelly, and Terry Taylor all working together (in various incarnations).

Why not have Coach/Matthews for RAW and JR/Coach/King for RAW Zone?

-----

Sean Mooney never really called anything more serious than a Berzerker-Kamala match for Supertape '92, so I'm not sure how he'd handle the big moments.

Guest deinly1

Styles / Heyman, THERE is your new announce team for Raw, oh AND SD for that matter. I like the idea of bringing back Ventura, he was good back in the 70's!

Guest *KNK*
Styles / Heyman, THERE is your new announce team for Raw, oh AND SD for that matter. I like the idea of bringing back Ventura, he was good back in the 70's!

Styles wouldn't last 5 minutes before losing his mind on any average Raw telecast.

Heyman's contract expires very soon and He's likely out the door.

I know who I'd like to see join the RAW team, but he was in WCW and I dare not even speak his name.

But I'd love it.

It'd be the greatest night in the history of our sport right?

Hard to believe there isn't any older, former, about to retire wrestlers who can't do commentary.

DDP!!!

I read somewhere that they offered him a commentator's position in 2002 when he first retired, and he rejected it b/c "it'd be too hard to be there and not be out there doing it" or something... anyways, can you imagine a commentary team of Coach, King and DDP?

As long as they don't bring in Tony Schiavone, I don't care. I hate that guy with an f'ing passion.

The only guy they had who could replace Ross (and WWE wouldn't use him for various reasons) was Cornette. He'd probably blow a gasket and get in an argument with Vince screaming in his headset to do something stupid. Fat Tony has less credibility than Ross (although I wouldn't mind hearing him a couple weeks for nostalgia's sake, same with Bischoff and Vince McMahon). I can't see Joey Styles replacing him. Heyman is gone at the end of the year.

Josh Matthews is the best in-house option they've got. I can't seriously believe some people want to see Coach or Todd Grisham be the lead PBP guy as they are terrible.

As for the commentator spot, they're ridiclously deep on who they could drag out to do it.

Maybe they'll do something way out of the box here that'll be interesting, but I doubt it.

Guest Ransome

I'd welcome JR leaving the Raw announce team. I have a feeling they'd still utilise him for major pay-per-views, which I wouldn't have too many problems with. Personally, I'd say his absurdly over-the-top performances at Wrestlemania mainevents (particularly WM XX, also X7) really add to the moment. Michael Cole's whiny schtick is an extremely poor substitute.

Somehow Tony Schiavone never bothered me, I'd be fine with him. Styles would rule though, and he can do WWF spot calling ie ONS. Heyman would be also be ideal if they could resign him. Heck, make them the 3 man RAW team, that'd be hilarious, just to see Heyman and Styles rip on Tony. Or, the best announcing team in all of sports and sports entertainment, Stephen Quadros and Bas Rutten

Guest Edgehead

My Shortlist:

Joey Styles

Jim Cornette

Scott Hudson

Dave Prazak

Josh Mathews

Sean Mooney

If they're not giving the job to Joey Styles then JR should keep it. It's probably his choice to leave anyway, as you can only sugarcoat Vince's product so long before it kills your soul (some would say this happened to JR long ago), but as much as we rag on the guy THEY DON'T HAVE ANYONE AS GOOD AS HIM. Sad, but true.

I liked what Joey Matthews did on Velocity, but I don't think he's a good fit on RAW. I'd rather he replace Cole on SD.