TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

Lucha stars (including Mistico) to WWE?

--WWE is trying to quickly put together deals to bring in Lucha Libre guys as soon as Monday in Sacramento. I'm not sure whether it's TNA's ratings or the articles on how strong Spanish radio has become in so many markets that has spurred the thinking, but they are looking at bringing in several more stars from Mexico as regulars and were trying to get minis, Porky and Mistico that I'm aware of for Monday. None of the deals have been made at this point, and it's going to be an ultra-rush job if they can contact the guys and get them done.

Interesting.

TNA's ratings? They are drawing like 0.8 or something. I hardly think WWE has anything to worry about on that front.

If they let these guys come in and bust it out, then it's cool. But I'd rather not see these guys do the same boring style as Smackdown's cruisers.

Sounds like a response to TNA, although TNA still isn't much of a threat at this stage.

I really hope it doesn't happen because Vince knows fuck all about using smaller guys.

I'm calling it. They'll be Hoss food for Kane and/or Big Show.

Oh yeah, cause the cruisers are being used so well on SD.

I hope to God they don't show up on Raw or SD. They won't be given a chance and if one of them does bust something out, they'll be told they don't know how to work, sent to OVW, gain 40 pounds, and then released.

Fuck that, stay away. I actually watch Lucha Libre and don't want these guys getting fucked over by Vince and Co.

Guest Biggles

WWE showing interest in MISTICO is the greatest thing that I have heard all week. The guy is the equivalent to a 1996 Rey Mysterio Jr. I don't know why he would even consider leaving Mexico as it sounds like he is as hot there as anyone has been anywhere in a long time and wrestling in Mexico in general is red hot right now. If he comes in and is used right, it would be incredible, but I don't see alot of talent that he would particularly match up all that well with unless WWE brought like 3-4 other new luchadors in as well.

Guest I miss Test.
None of the deals have been made at this point, and it's going to be an ultra-rush job if they can contact the guys and get them done.

Yep, indeed.

Sounds like they're trying to replicate the success of their Latin viewership by countering Smackdown with a strong RAW representation.

Of course, you know, they could just continue with the RAW v. Smackdown schtick and capitalize off of Rey and Eddie appearing on both shows, or not go completely ass-backwards in booking Chavo, but that would probably require too much thinking.

Raw's being replayed on Telemundo in Spanish under the new deal, so that should tell you all you need to know. They think they can boost the ratings there and bring in more hispanic viewers by bringing in some lucha guys (and having the seperate show in Spanish gives them a vehicle).

I wonder if they'll tape a lucha match or two and edit it into the Spanish Raw broadcast?

If the lucha guys stay in their own little world like they did on Super Astros, it could work.

They think they can boost the ratings there and bring in more hispanic viewers by bringing in some lucha guys (and having the seperate show in Spanish gives them a vehicle).

There'd have to be some editing going on because no way they portray the luchadors strongly and they'll risk turning off the Hispanic audience if week in and week out the guys they tune in to see are being squashed like bugs versus the bigger WWE wrestlers.

Again, weird move because Vince and Co. doing this in reaction to TNA when TNA isn't a real threat at this point.

Still, I don't see this as a positive.

Its obvious they'll use them in dark matches prior to RAW to get the crowd going, while taping the matches for TELEMUNDO-RAW or whatever its called, and they can replace the boring 20 minute HHH promos with HLA..Hot Lucha Action..or something..

Guest Deviant

I hope WWE never hires another cruiserweight again. I understand the concept of money, but that still doesn't explain to me why anyone under 6ft tall would want to sign with WWE.

Mistico could get super over in about 5 seconds if they allowed him, though i'm sure the WWE's idea of using him or any Lucha guy would be having them get killed by Snitsky in 10 seconds. Instead of kicking babies Snitsky can start kicking Mini's around instead.

I doubt the WWE has any clue who these guys are anyway, they'll bring in Super Porky thinking he's a Rey Mysterio clone and get pissed when they discover he isn't, like they did with Ultimo Dragon.

This might deserve it's own thread but I think it might have something to do with this........and sorry if it's already been posted else where.

The Juniors Are Coming!

Oct. 15, 2005

In an unprecedented collaboration, network executive Palmer Canon and SmackDown General Manager Theodore Long announced today the introduction of a new WWE wrestling division exclusive to Friday Night SmackDown: The Juniors.

The Juniors Division will be comprised of world-class athletes at or below 5 feet tall. “Midgets, dwarves, the little people, they’re all welcome,” said Long. “We don’t discriminate against anybody on my show, as long as they can bring it.”

“The network believes there’s big ratings and big excitement in the new Juniors Division," Canon added. "I think fans will be shocked at what these tiny, but very talented, competitors can add to the already incredibly gifted roster here on Friday Night SmackDown.” 

Credit: WWE.com

Guest JMA

I really hate midget wrestling. I suspect there will be a match where JBL wrestles many of them to the delight of no one.