Chicago at New Orleans

N.Y. Giants at San Francisco

Seattle at Arizona

Pittsburgh at Green Bay

Philadelphia at Washington

Monday, Nov. 7

Indianapolis at New England

-----------------

Gee, I wonder what game gets the most attention this week?

Guest Vitamin X

Atlanta-Miami and Pittsburgh-Green Bay will be a lot closer than people expect, with possible upsets in place. I like Carolina-Tampa Bay, Philly-Washington, and Raiders-Chiefs is always fun. The Monday Night matchup will be very intriguing for obvious reasons. I hope (and think) the Pats will find some way to end Indy's undefeated streak on Monday.

Guest Vitamin X

Also, this is kinda laughable.

sherm2.jpg

THE SHERM SEZ:

Mike Sherman says he's proud of his coaching job this season

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- The Green Bay Packers might be down but not out -- at least in coach Mike Sherman's mind.

``The thing is the guys battled. They didn't stop,'' Sherman said Monday. ``I think the team as a group are fairly resilient, fairly together. I don't see them cracking in spite of any of the adversity we face.''

Sherman said he believes he has done one of his best coaching jobs since taking over six years ago.

``It hasn't translated to wins. I know our opportunities are diminishing. We can pull ourselves out of this. I think the sun is on the horizon,'' he said. ``We will get there as long as we have guys working.''

Asked about an ESPN.com poll that showed his approval rating at 19 percent, Sherman said, ``Do you think I worry about that? Are you crazy? I worry about the approval rating of my family.''

Sherman said Favre -- who had a regular-season high of five interceptions Sunday -- has never been conservative in his approach to the game.

``He plays to win the game,'' he said. ``I can't take that away from him.''

``They played well enough for us to win in my mind,'' the coach said. ``I saw a lot of good things offensively. As it turns out, our defense played pretty darn well.''

Well, he's certainly right on the last one, giving up 5 turnovers to an offense as good as Cincinnati's and still having a chance at the end is pretty good, but that secondary is still pretty weak (19th in the NFL). The one glaring weakness on the team, and I think this would've been a HUGE help in the touchdown or less losses this year, has been the utter lack of a running game. While they've got the 4th ranked passing offense (just behind Philly, St. Louis, and New England) they're ranked 30TH in rushing. Pathetic. However, since the Steelers are slightly more vulnerable to the pass than to the rushing game, and since Pittsburgh is ranked 25th in passing offense, that makes it a nice matchup for the Packers who have a pretty good run defense.

I still expect to lose, but not by much. In fact, it'll probably turn out to be one of those 1940's era 9-6 games..

Guest *KNK*
As a fiercely loyal Bengals fan, I have but one message to my long-time favorite team.

KILL THE RAVENS DEAD.

I still fear the Ravens, but I'm salivating over the turnover potential of Wright.

Predictions:

Atlanta at Miami: I think ole Ron Mexico will get it done, though Miami winning here is more interesting for the AFC East.

Carolina at Tampa Bay: Tough game to call but I'll take the Panthers in a really tough, manly game. Ugly.

Cincinnati at Baltimore: The Ravens are showing signs of life, so I will take them in an upset by about 7 pts.

Detroit at Minnesota: What a horrible game. Someone has to win, might as well be Detroit.

Houston at Jacksonville: Jags in an ass kicking.

Oakland at Kansas City: Should be a wild game, but KC shall prevail at home.

San Diego at N.Y. Jets: SD finally gets a winning record with a beatdown of the Jets.

Tennessee at Cleveland: Another shitfest. I'll take the Titans to edge the Browns here.

Chicago at New Orleans: Watch out for the mighty Bears! Chicago by 10.

N.Y. Giants at San Francisco: Giants can't be like the Bucs last week and job to the Niners. Thankfully they have Eli and not Chris Simms. Giants by 28, just so Eli can say he beat them by more than his bro.

Seattle at Arizona: Could be closer than expected but the Seahawks are looking pretty strong and should win by 7 or so.

Pittsburgh at Green Bay: Steelers will find a way to win, Packers will find a way to lose. Steelers by 3.

Philadelphia at Washington: No idea, since both teams are coming off embarrassing beatdowns. I'll go with the Redskins since they're at home.

Monday, Nov. 7

Indianapolis at New England: This is the most important game of the reg. season. If the Colts win and go to 8-0, book them for the Super Bowl. If the Pats win....fuck. So what will happen? I don't know, but somehow I have the feeling I'll see Edgerrin James fumbling at the goal line, Manning getting sacked at inopportune moments, the Pats getting every call known to man....and the Pats will win by like 3.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I was making my picks for the weekly pool at work, and noticed that a lot of home teams are the underdogs this week, so I'm expecting a couple of upsets. I picked Miami over Atlanta, and Washington over Philly.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Not as much as the total Vikings and Packers collapse makes me laugh.

I can laugh in turn when it's cold comfort for the Bears (or maybe Lions) to be the NFL's answer to the Padres and then quickly get killed by a much better wild-card team from the East or South

Hmm. well after last week's humbling loss to the Giants I would be lying if I said this game doesn't concern me. The Redskins are undefeated at home though so that is a plus.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
I can laugh in turn when it's cold comfort for the Bears (or maybe Lions) to be the NFL's answer to the Padres and then quickly get killed by a much better wild-card team from the East or South

The Bears have the tiebreaker over the Lions now. The Vikings are dead in the water, and the Packers are too chewed up and too poorly coached to make a late-season run into the playoffs.

I'll take a Padres season over some 6-10 mediocrity. This season has shown that the Bears have most of the pieces in place. The rest of this season and the offseason should be purely focused on getting playmakers on offense.

I haven't seen any injury report on Mark Bradley. Is his knee fucked or what?

Am I the only one that thinks that it'd be bad for the Colts to beat the Pats this week? I've been hearing all season that this game was so huge for them, and that they've been gearing up to beat NE. There's been articles about how Freeney & Manning (among others) have been looking forward to this game since the schedule was announced. In my eyes, it shows that Indy's eyes really aren't on the ultimate prize, the Super Bowl. This game is a regular season game that really means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Highlight of my season would be seeing the Colts win on Monday only to lose to NE in the playoffs ... especially if the game was in Indy.

That's ironic of you to say, since most Pats fans at this board celebrated more over beating the Colts last year than they did when they won the SB.

That's just because winning the superbowl is totally "been there done that" for us pats fans now. Beating the Colts is always much more fun since it shows how unclutch Elder Manning is. His face during those Pats games is just priceless.

That's ironic of you to say, since most Pats fans at this board celebrated more over beating the Colts last year than they did when they won the SB.

I personally didn't celebrate harder over beating the Colts than I did the SB, in the regular season OR the playoffs. The Steelers win the playoffs gave me a bigger rush, but that was more because of how much I loved to see Roethlisberger & Cowher fall short.

And it's not like the Pats had a series of articles about how hard they were working to beat the Colts in the regular season. ESPN had a big article about Freeney, maybe 2 months ago, and all he's doing to beat the Pats on 11/7. They should be worried about winning in Detroit this winter, not in Foxboro in November.

To the Colts, beating the Pats will give them the confidence to march into the Super Bowl and assures them home field throughout the playoffs. That's why they want to beat the Patriots. Plus they are tired of hearing they can't. Course, if they don't do it this week they may never want to hear the word "Patriots" for as long as they live.

I don't care win or lose what the Pats do. Three Super Bowls is more than enough for me as a fan.

The Colts got fucked by the Pats injury situation, though. If Indy wins, people can say that they beat a depleted defense, making the win seem less impressive. If Indy loses, it looks extra bad.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

HOLY Crap!:

Fall out: Packers cut young CB Thomas

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- The Green Bay Packers waived second-year cornerback Joey Thomas in a surprising move.

Thomas, who briefly replaced starter Ahmad Carroll earlier this season, was benched Sunday at Cincinnati after he fell down on a key third-down play in a 21-14 loss to the Bengals. He was replaced as the nickel back by rookie Mike Hawkins.

He was angered by being yanked, saying he did not deserve such treatment, especially after Carroll has kept his job despite numerous penalties.

Thomas, a third-round pick last year from Montana State, made 16 tackles and broke up three passes in six games this season, including one start against Cleveland on Sept. 18. He played in 14 games last year as a rookie.