TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest nokia

TNA Announces Major debut @ Genesis

Guest Leelee

I hope it's TEST~!

Just so I can giggle at everyone here. :P

Plus, I think Christian will just be a bad fit for TNA...

I'm pretty convinced it's Christian, given what Meltzer has said.

Man, this could be huge for TNA. I mean, this could be akin to Chris Jericho coming to WWF in '99...the kind of signing that leads to other guys coming over and really tipping the balance of this new "wrestling war." I'm not saying that TNA is going to overtake WWE anytime soon, but it could really balance the tables.

Guest Andrew J.

Not to say that Christian isn't worthwhile or that this isn't a significant event, but calling it "the biggest jump in TNA history" is more than a little overblown. In my estimation, Raven, Jeff Hardy, and Team 3-D were all bigger names and have (in the first two cases at least) contributed more to TNA than Christian will.

Not to say that Christian isn't worthwhile or that this isn't a significant event, but calling it "the biggest jump in TNA history" is more than a little overblown.  In my estimation, Raven, Jeff Hardy, and Team 3-D were all bigger names and have (in the first two cases at least) contributed more to TNA than Christian will.

It is bigger in that the others you mentioned were fired or let go, but to the outside world Christian left WWE willingly to join TNA.

And you don't even know what Christian will do in TNA, so it's very premature to say those names have done more than he ever will.

Guest Andrew J.
It is bigger in that the others you mentioned were fired or let go, but to the outside world Christian left WWE willingly to join TNA.

And you don't even know what Christian will do in TNA, so it's very premature to say those names have done more than he ever will.

Well, that's just my prediction. I could be wrong.

It could be Hassan, but highly unlikely, Christian has to be the number one suspect since his recent departure,

Jackie's signing was already announced on TNAWrestling.com before Impact debuted on Spike. Why they haven't used her? Nothing for her to do maybe.

I dont see it being a big name, just enough for people to be interested to order since the hype for this ppv is too close to BFG to be built into anything

Guest karlitoapple

Here's a point that I think people are missing in regards to the Christian name issue. It may not matter if Jay Reso had the Chritstian name before entering WWE. The question people need to be asking is whether or not he ever agreed to sign away the rights for his name to WWE.

Does WWE have the trademark for the Chaptain Charisma name? I thought they didn't and that's why they stopped selling the shirt.

Guest *KNK*
Does WWE have the trademark for the Chaptain Charisma name? I thought they didn't and that's why they stopped selling the shirt.

Somebody else owns the rights to it.

I'm pretty convinced it's Christian, given what Meltzer has said.

Man, this could be huge for TNA. I mean, this could be akin to Chris Jericho coming to WWF in '99...the kind of signing that leads to other guys coming over and really tipping the balance of this new "wrestling war." I'm not saying that TNA is going to overtake WWE anytime soon, but it could really balance the tables.

The problem is the WWE already had the likes of Austin, Undertaker, The Rock, Foley, HHH was starting to move into the main event. TNA doesn't really have anything close to that.

Well, apparantly this is off the Wrestling Observer...looks like the acquisition is....

TNA Wrestling issued a press release this afternoon regarding the “major acquisition” of a superstar who has jumped ship from WWE. TNA President Dixie Carter was quoted, “This is the single biggest jump in TNA history .. The contract is signed, the travel is set and in my opinion, ‘Genesis’ just got a whole lot more intriguing.”

Several reliable sources have confirmed that this “major acquisition” is none other than former WWE Intercontinental and Tag Champion, Jay “Christian” Reso.

Reso’s WWE contract expired last week and he decided not to resign with the company after 8 years of service. There were reports that WWE had offered him a new contract that was considerably lower than what he had previously been earning. There was speculation that Christian would be subject to a 90-day no-compete clause. The speculation has proven to be false, as the 90-day no-compete clauses are reserved for wrestlers who are released from their contract before its expiration.

Reso will be appearing at this Sunday’s TNA PPV, Genesis. At this time, it is unknown what his ring-name will be. Although Reso wrestled in Canada as “Christian Cage” long before working for Vince McMahon, WWE owns the trademark “Christian”. Reso could take WWE to court and claim he owns the rights to the name “Christian” (both The Honky Tonk Man and The Ultimate Warrior had similar cases - and won), but TNA does not want any more legal troubles with WWE and it appears a new ring-name is being worked on for his debut on Sunday night.

Guest *KNK*

Just call him Jay Reso. Don't need to be fancy about it. If they must use Christian, in some form or another...

Christian Reso

They can market and sell him with that but he'd just be called Christian anyways.

Guest Bulwark

Christian Cage sounds like an E-Wrestler.

Just change the spelling and go by "Kristian."

I'm amazed anyone thinks it's going to be that Nigel dude, or Haas, or Test.  The Carter release said it was the biggest signing in TNA history.  I can't believe she'd say all that about a Brit no one has ever heard of, or boring old Charlie, or fucking Test.

In that case, "Some Brit nobody's ever heard of" > Christian.

Also, why the fuss over the name? What's wrong with Jay Reso as a name? Hell, if they're desperate to use Christian for some reason that I really don't see, why not just call him "The Christian" Jay Reso. I'm pretty sure Vince hasn't copyrighted Christianity and it's followers yet.

I'm extremely excited about this eventhough

Paul London maineventing Mania > Christian signing TNA

I'm expecting to see the lost potential of Christian.

Not to say that Christian isn't worthwhile or that this isn't a significant event, but calling it "the biggest jump in TNA history" is more than a little overblown.  In my estimation, Raven, Jeff Hardy, and Team 3-D were all bigger names and have (in the first two cases at least) contributed more to TNA than Christian will.

Bingo

Guest Korgath

Man, TNA is on a roll. I'm actually getting excited about some REAL competition for the WWE.

Guest Deviant

I'd mark for "The Atheist" Jay Reso.

But seriously, I want Genesis to be progressing along normally, then in between matches cut the lights and go to some sort of light show, pyro explosions, perhaps a whacky video of some sort, then have Christian appear in the middle of the ring. Make it FEEL like a big deal.

In other words, give this the "Countdown to the Millenium" treatment.

It's beat the shit out of having some sort of generic ass music that sounds vaguely like his old music hit, have people ask "the fuck is that noise? Oh look, it's that guy" - ie. The way the Dudleys debuted. They need to have the crowd buzzing, with a "here it comes... here it comes..." atmosphere, then unleash Christian on them with a live mic.

I don't even want to hear anti-WWE stuff, just a rant about new beginnings and how he will make the biggest impact of all.

Bring this on. I can't wait for Christian in TNA.

I swear, if they fuck this up......

I'd mark for "The Atheist" Jay Reso.

But seriously, I want Genesis to be progressing along normally, then in between matches cut the lights and go to some sort of light show, pyro explosions, perhaps a whacky video of some sort, then have Christian appear in the middle of the ring. Make it FEEL like a big deal.

In other words, give this the "Countdown to the Millenium" treatment.

It's beat the shit out of having some sort of generic ass music that sounds vaguely like his old music hit, have people ask "the fuck is that noise? Oh look, it's that guy" - ie. The way the Dudleys debuted. They need to have the crowd buzzing, with a "here it comes... here it comes..." atmosphere, then unleash Christian on them with a live mic.

I don't even want to hear anti-WWE stuff, just a rant about new beginnings and how he will make the biggest impact of all.

Bring this on. I can't wait for Christian in TNA.

I swear, if they fuck this up......

They did something like this the night Hardy debuted (~which I was there for~), which contributed to his HUGE pop that night IMO. IIRC, in between the matches, they had a guy talking about what wrestling would be like in the year 2020, future, blah, blah. Then before Hardy's entrance, he said something about fast forwarding to the future and the DixieTron flashed Jeff Hardy's name in white letters on a black backdrop. The music hit and the crowd went crazy (it was more from the name than the music, because his TNA music sounds nothing like his WWE music). If they could recreate that here with Christian, they'd be in business methinks. I can either see them doing something like that or something like they did with Raven (or DDP for that matter), having him attack through the crowd, pose long enough to be recognized and then having Tenay and West cream themselves wondering what he's doing. I gotta be honest though, I'd prefer the Y2J/Hardy type treatment.

Guest Jack Potts
He can call himself Christian Charisma, Chris Charisma, Colonel Charisma, Christian Jay.......there's many options.

Of those options, I kind of like "Chris Charisma" the best, or possibly "'Mr. Charisma' Jay Reso" Either way, he could also change the name of his finisher to "The Charismatic."