TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dangerous A

Jericho or Benoit

If you could only sign one, who would it be?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. If you could only sign one, who would it be?

• Chris Jericho
    • Chris Benoit

Of course, they would love to have both men in, but for the sake of argument, if you were GM of TNA and were given one contract and told you could sign either Chris Jericho or Chris Benoit to a deal, who would you choose?

Jericho obviously has better promo ability. Benoit brings the ability to have a great match with just about anyone, although Jericho isn't far behind in that regard. Jericho's personality is a bit more loud, but Benoit has more legitimacy behind his aura as well as the workrate god status.

If you could only have one, who would it be?

Jericho, because he has the ability to cross over into the mainstream (this has been proven already with his VH1 appearances, etc.), which is great for exposure and getting the TNA name out there. I loves me some Benoit, but looking at the big picture, I'd go with Jericho.

While Jericho is probably a bigger name than Benoit, I don't think he's a big enough name to make a noticable impact in ratings and buyrates. I think Benoit is able to make guys look like stars in the ring which is better in the long term.

Benoit. Jericho is a bit flashier and definitely more marketable, but I don't think many people would be surprised to see him in TNA at this point. Benoit showing up would be one of those "holy shit" moments. Here's a guy who was being stifled in WCW who went to WWF and made a hell of a career, finally getting his opportunity. For that same guy to LEAVE WWE for a new company is pretty stunning.

Jericho, because he has the ability to cross over into the mainstream (this has been proven already with his VH1 appearances, etc.), which is great for exposure and getting the TNA name out there.  I loves me some Benoit, but looking at the big picture, I'd go with Jericho.

The only problem with that, Zack, is that they rarely note that he's a professional wrestler when he's on VH1.

Having said that, though, it'd be better for TNA to have Jericho represent TNA in public than Benoit. Benoit can bring the workrate, but he's not exactly smooth in front of a camera. You could put Jericho on a show like Conan O'Brien or the BDSSP or something, and he'd have a personality that might make a casual follower want to see him again.

I'd go with Benoit since wrestling is his number one focus. I'd love to see Jericho there, but who knows if his heart would be completely in it since he does want to go out and try to succeed musically. Benoit however loves nothing more than wrestling, and the fact that he lives in Georgia makes it even more possible. He can spend alot of time at home with his family and still continue wrestling. Its win/win for him.

I went with Jericho. Benoit I think is better off staying in WWE, while Jericho has shown lately that he doesn't necessarily need wrestling so much that he would go for the big money. If he wanted to he could work for a smaller company and help them out because he's obviously living comfortably away from wrestling right now. In other words Jericho would be the easier aquisition for TNA and could be a big help. I could easily see Jericho winning the NWA Title, it would definitely be an improvement over Jarrett.

Guest Fishyswa

Benoit could stand out in a bad way. My major gripe with most of the wrestling is it comes off really choreographed, and Benoit is a pro at doing the exact opposite. If he works with a select group for a while the contrast could become obvious.

But if he's shifted around a lot in matches, where he can work with guys up and down the card, I think he'd help them more than Jericho, who really just brings them star power they don't have, nothing amazing, but definitely a mainstream name people recognize. He'd have to be given a big push though. Benoit could come in, beat anyone in 3 minutes and the crowd would buy it. He can completely rebuild himself in one showing, so whatever damage they do will never be sustained.

Jericho might give them star power but Benoit could help improve the entire product if used right.

Of course you could say the WWE Style of basically wrestling the same match every time comes off just as choreographed as well. As great as Benoit is, under the WWE Style you can pretty much guess Benoit's matches move for move before they happen. I think Benoit coming to TNA would allow him to work with wrestlers of different styles and show a whole new side of him we've either never seen or haven't seen in awhile and maybe in the process bring something out in the wrestlers he faces.

Ahh now I'm switching my vote...no I'll stick with Jericho because like I said he would still be the easier aquisition and perhaps the better asset all around.

Benoit. As was said above, Jericho's commitment to pro-wrestling is waning. It's Benoit's life. He could be a fantastic NWA champ, locker room leader and teacher for all the young guys. Hell, who would be better to head up a TNA school should they ever get that far?

Of course, TNA will likely get neither.

I said Jericho, simply because TNA has enough quality wrestlers who aren't terribly exciting on the mic and Benoit just gives them one more of those. He'd probably be the BEST of those guys, but what they need is a very charismatic sort like Jericho who can get the viewer's attention.

They only have 1 hour a week right now....what would they even do with all these guys?

Guest [censored]

Benoit would put on great matches and be their champion no doubt but I would take a flyer of chris jericho, his charisma and following could if used right and if he put his heart into could have much larger potential impact. Ask yourself this who would VKM less want to see in TNA, I think the answer is Jericho and I think there is a reason for that.

That being said Benoit is the much more realistic option.

Benoit. Why? Two reasons:

1) He may not be nearly as charismatic as Jericho, but he certainly gets more respect by casual fans because of how hard WWE pushed him during his World title chase in '04. That and casuals realize that Benoit's matches are usually superb, and take the "Best Damn Technical Wrestler" moniker in 100% seriousness.

2) He could teach the younger guys who still just do highspots and weak brawling how to properly lay out a match, give 'em some pointers on psychology, and possibly help train new workers were he to retire while in TNA.

Yes, Jericho would be better interview-wise, but his matches just aren't as good as Benoit's are, on average, and when he's not a sarcastic/arrogant/whiny heel? Jericho isn't that entertaining. Benoit is entertaining as both the sympathetic face and the vicious heel...as long as he doesn't have to talk.

Guest Leelee

As they'd both probably be short-term options... I'd go with Benoit. So, the smarks can have wet dreams of BENOIT/JOE!!111. Plus, I think Jericho wouldn't give his full effort.

I'd just like to say this: Benoit gets a bad rap about his lack of charisma. No, he's certainly not great at it, but when he first came to WWF and they got serious about pushing him against guys like HHH, Rock, and Austin, he showed signs of a unique heel character. It was under McMahon's tutelage (that's right, the same psycho we see today) that he started to express himself as a ruthless, vicious, rabid predator who knew he was superior to everyone else and was tired of being kept on a leash.

As they'd both probably be short-term options... I'd go with Benoit.  So, the smarks can have wet dreams of BENOIT/JOE!!111.  Plus, I think Jericho wouldn't give his full effort.

Make it Benoit vs Joe vs Daniels Iron Man match and you would have the highest rate TNA PPV in the history of the company!!!!!!!!111111one1111111eleven11!

Guest Brian
Yes, Jericho would be better interview-wise, but his matches just aren't as good as Benoit's are, on average, and when he's not a sarcastic/arrogant/whiny heel? Jericho isn't that entertaining. Benoit is entertaining as both the sympathetic face and the vicious heel...as long as he doesn't have to talk.

My how we forget Jericho's promo with the Rock.

And I think that's where this goes. Jericho can cut the money promo. You've got a plethora of good workers, and Benoit is winding down on his career (as is Jericho). So you want to eke out some buys, maybe even strap the company on his back short-term. Jericho can do that. I've been converting some 2000 TV, and Jericho is simply awesome on the mic. If he brings half of what he brought in his initial feud against the Rock (which would be like just a little more than insult hurling Jericho), he'll bring the goodz. Now, the problem might not be with Jericho but with how many guys can stand up to him on the mic? Especially if he's at full speed.

It's really hard to judge Benoit's potential value. He could put some guys over wrestling-wise, and really solidly establish them. Jericho can't do that at the same level (and there are only a handful that can) but Jericho can put over guys in promos, build to matches in ways Benoit can't. And that makes Benoit's value alot more short-term given that they are both in their twilights.

Benoit is the Matt Lindland of professional wrestling. Only without the promos. Or the silver medal. Or the keyboard warrior status. But you get the idea.

Now, the problem might not be with Jericho but with how many guys can stand up to him on the mic? Especially if he's at full speed.

Raven, Rhyno, Team 3D, Ron Killings, Konnan, James Mitchell, Daniels and with alot of coaching maybe everybody's favorite ex football player Monty.

I went back and forth on it as there is no wrong pick between them, but I would choose Benoit, because at least until they got their TV deal, the focus for TNA was (and still should be) wrestling. Of course with the TV deal they have to build the brand and establish the personalities of their workers, but if you put a gun to my head and said "Choose or die", I would take Benoit. He is respected the world over (especially in Japan: remember the pops he got for that Raw in Tokyo?) and his in-ring work is about as perfect as can be.

Sure, Jericho is a better talker and is more charismatic, but I would rather see what Benoit can do when the shackles of the WWE wrestling style are taken off of him. I think I have seen one dragon suplex from him in the last two or three years. Sure he can;t do as much as he used to because of the neck surgery, but he is still better right now that about 98% of the Raw roster, and will be when he retires.

As they'd both probably be short-term options... I'd go with Benoit.  So, the smarks can have wet dreams of BENOIT/JOE!!111.  Plus, I think Jericho wouldn't give his full effort.

Make it Benoit vs Joe vs Daniels Iron Man match and you would have the highest rate TNA PPV in the history of the company!!!!!!!!111111one1111111eleven11!

Actually, you probably would. I mean, TNA's buy rates haven't exactly been impressive so far.

I say Benoit because he'll give full commitment. Either guy would be an amazing aquisition though because just seeing a guy like Benoit or Jericho in the company makes you think "Wow, this company MUST be something special". Christian coming gives off that effect too, but Jericho coming out of semi-retirement and Benoit coming to seek more competition (which is how they should play it off)? Utterly amazing.

I'm going with Beniot. Jericho would be a good choice but I rather see good matches than promo's so I'm going with Beniot. Don't get me wrong, Jericho can have good matches but I think Beniot can have a lot more.

Benoit... his promo ability is way underrated. Plus he's got the better aura about him since he's been booked fairly strong in WWE and Jericho has jobbed to everyone left and right.

It may just be WWE scripting too much out, but Jericho's only rarely hit the heights on the mic in WWE that he did in WCW.

Benoit.

Jericho hasn't really done anything worthwhile for the past few years. He's lost a step or two in the ring and I can't remember the last time he wasn't anything but intolerable on the mic as a face, which he'd obviously have to be when he arrives in TNA.

Neither men would come. Supposedly there is a rumor that if Benoit doesn't re-sign with WWE, he's going to New Japan, possibly for a match with Brock. He is at least rumored to be at the 1/4 Dome show and maybe beyond. Jericho on the other hand, he has his band. Christian is probably the best they can get and they already got him.