TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kkktookmybabyaway

Those hippie ink-refill kits...

They look like a disaster waiting to happen, but I'm curious to know if anyone has tried them before...

Depends on the brand and the cartridge, but I've used a couple for my Compaq and they worked well if you're careful.

Guest Leelee

I'd generally say to avoid. There's usually a schlub at a flea market/computer store who sells refilled cartridges for little money. It's not worth the hassle doing it yourself.

A few years back, I tried one to refill my black ink cartridge. Needless to say a few minutes after I started squeezing the refill thing, the majority of my living room was covered in black ink. I recommend avoiding these do it yourself things unless then come with a shield of some sort.

I've done it. A few times anyway.

Last time I did, not only did the cartridge get destroyed but I had black ink EVERYWHERE.

I'd only say do it, if you're sure you can take the time to do it right. Rush, and things get messy.

I always thought and wondered how those refills kits would work. I wouldn't bother buying it. I am fine with just getting a new ink cartridge.

My local Wal-Mart uses them since it's a whole lot cheaper. My cousin works there, and he says they've pretty much perfected it.

I, on the otherhand, have had the same experiences as everyone else here. They suck.

Just buy a laser printer. Screw those commie ink cartidges. Buying a couple of those is more than the bloody printer costs. Lasers are usually faster, more reliable, have a lower per-page printing cost, and are quite reasonably priced. You can get a good laser for basic home use for about $150. Color lasers for home or small office use start around $400-500.

a few minutes after I started squeezing the refill thing, the majority of my living room was covered in black ink.

This is about what I have heard from people I know who've used them.