TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anya

Xbox 360

Oblivion kicks tremendous ass...have fun getting wrapped up in to that one for hours on end!

I'm having a blast just blowing off the main quest and doing the various subquests. Breaking into homes and stores and plundering at will is game by itself.

Oh and native Divx support is a nice deal. I'll have to download the update as soon as I get home.

I redownloaded the media update that I already had and everything works perfect for me now.

Same here. It seems to fly in the face of conventional logic, but all my lucky star videos work.

Freaking awesome. I just chucked TVersity.

Okay, I'm going to ask a stupid question here: I bought a second controller, it's wried. I plugged it in to the USB port and nothing happens. I press and hold the guide button and it just blinks and blinks and blinks. My wireless controller is assigned to #1. How do I get this wired controller to assign to #2 and stop blinking? How do I use it in #1 instead of my wireless controller (for when the batteries on the wireless run out)? I can't understand why I can't get this to work and I can't find any straight answers on google.

Okay, I'm going to ask a stupid question here: I bought a second controller, it's wried. I plugged it in to the USB port and nothing happens. I press and hold the guide button and it just blinks and blinks and blinks. My wireless controller is assigned to #1. How do I get this wired controller to assign to #2 and stop blinking? How do I use it in #1 instead of my wireless controller (for when the batteries on the wireless run out)? I can't understand why I can't get this to work and I can't find any straight answers on google.

You press the one on the xbox too?

the little white button by the memory card slots, right? Yeah, I press it and the lights around the main power button start circling. This is a 3rd party controller. It's like, I can't get the 360 to recognize it and assign it to a damn #.

let me re-phrase: wireless controller is assigned to 1...I want to stop using wireless controller and start using wired controller in #1. How do I make that switch?

Did you try starting all over?

Turning the system off and then booting it up with the wired controller and not touching the wireless one?

I had a problem with my guitar hero 2 guitar but I just fiddled until the damn machine accepted it.

HOW TO FIX YOUR GOD DAMN CONTROLLER

P.S. No personal attack is meant by any profanity, I just think it's funny where appropriate.

Okay, your wireless controller is set to number one. You want to plug in a wired controller, and make it number 2.

First of all, pressing the white sync button on the console is meaningless, as it is a fucking wired controller and cannot sync to shit.

IF YOU ARE TRYING TO WIRELESSLY SYNC WITH A WIRED CONTROLLER, YOU MIGHT AS WELL BE GIVING YOUR MONEY TO JERRY'S KIDS

Second of all... I actually had this problem once, with the endless guide button blinking. What was happening was that the intermediate cable of the controller (the part where it can detach, in case someone trips over it) wasn't completely plugged in. Make sure this is nice and secure.

If this fails, make sure the connection to the USB port is snug.

If this fails, the reason the light is spinning is because the controller doesn't think it's fully plugged in. Try connecting to each one of the three USB ports. If it fails on each, could be one of two things.

ONE: Your controller sucks.

TWO: The USB ports on your 360 suck.

If it does work in one USB port and not another, likely the USB port on the 360 is shot.

Now, if you have a wireless controller set to 1, and want to use a wired controller as 1, do this:

Hold guide button down. Select turn off controller.

Plug wired controller in.

fuck it, I can't get it to work...I know this really shouldn't be that hard!

My guitar works just fine. As soon as I plug it in, it goes right to 1

I am therefore led to the conclusion that your controller is busted. Again, make sure all possible connections on the controller (including the secondary, if it exists) are snug.

Also, if the controller is a Mad Catz or a Pelican, what the fuck did you expect.

I won't touch Mad Catz shit. The company is JoyTech. It worked like 2 days ago and I don't know what I did but all it does is blink at me. I've only had it a few weeks, it's not busted.

"Take-Two today announced that they have sold "substantially all" of their Joytech video games accessories company to Mad Catz Interactive as part of a previously announced plan to ditch "non-core" businesses." (This was in early September)

I guess you did touch Mad Catz shit.

I can't get video to stream with Media Center from my laptop or my desktop. Freezes the console every time.

Any ideas?

Assuming you have XP Media Center or Vista Home Premium or Vista Ultimate here. Also assuming the video can play on your PC fine.

Is the video in the right format? Media Center on 360 does not support DivX or Xvid.

Beyond that, I have no idea.

Well...there you go. Media Center on 360 doesn't support DivX or Xvid

Yeah, that info comes straight from the developers. Amazingly enough, the 360, by itself, supports more formats than its own Media Center Extender Functionality.

Didn't feel like bumping the Rock Band thread...

Whammy bar gave out yesterday. Called up EA and well... a pending $125 charge is sitting on my card so I can get a new guitar sent to me off the bat instead of waiting for a coffin for my guitar.. send it into them then wait for them to send me my new one.

Ugh, this sucks.

Hoping one of you guys can help me get my wireless adapter working. Here are the problems I'm facing...

When I first turn the 360 on and go to the System tab, I get a message telling me I might get interference and should switch my network to the A frequency. As far as I can tell, my router runs on G and B.

Second issue: When I run 'Test XBox Live connection", I get through the first two tests fine, but it constantly fails the IP address test. Went through all the stuff on the XBox support website, but couldn't get it. Called the 800 number and was told to try putting in the alternate MAC address. Again, no good.

Any ideas on what I can try next?

Hoping one of you guys can help me get my wireless adapter working. Here are the problems I'm facing...

When I first turn the 360 on and go to the System tab, I get a message telling me I might get interference and should switch my network to the A frequency. As far as I can tell, my router runs on G and B.

Second issue: When I run 'Test XBox Live connection", I get through the first two tests fine, but it constantly fails the IP address test. Went through all the stuff on the XBox support website, but couldn't get it. Called the 800 number and was told to try putting in the alternate MAC address. Again, no good.

Have you selected which wireless network the router needs to be trying to connect to?

It continues to confuse me that Microsoft recommends the use of 802.11a, when there are basically no consumer wireless products that use 802.11a anymore. A's big advantage is that it runs on the 5.8 GHz band, versus B and G running on the more congested 2.4 GHz band.

Now, I don't know if the error message is given to you because it detects interference, or because it ALWAYS gives that message when a non-A communications protocol is selected, but it doesn't matter, there's nothing you can do about it.

For the second one... hmm. Using an alternate MAC address probably isn't going to fix it. Can you remind me what the first two tests are again? Also, what is the make and model of your wireless router? If it's a Netgear, try disabling the SPI Firewall.

Some general tips:

If your router's channel is set to 6, change it to 1 or 11, this can reduce interference and increase speed. More importantly, it will reduce or eliminate dropped connections.

Set up a static IP address on the Xbox 360, and use your router to put that IP address in the DMZ.

If it's a Netgear, in addition to disabling the SPI Firewall, just get another router. Netgear, in my experience, has a lot of issues with gaming over a wireless connection.

The first test is for the network adapter (it recognizes a wireless bridge).

The second test is for the wireless network (it says it is connected).

Then, it goes the IP address test, and that's where I get hung up.

I tried disabling the SPI firewall (no luck). My router (which is a Netgear) is set to channel 11.

Set up a static IP address on the Xbox 360, and use your router to put that IP address in the DMZ.

Can you elaborate on how to do this?

The first test is for the network adapter (it recognizes a wireless bridge).

The second test is for the wireless network (it says it is connected).

Then, it goes the IP address test, and that's where I get hung up.

I tried disabling the SPI firewall (no luck). My router (which is a Netgear) is set to channel 11.

Can you elaborate on how to do this?

Click here and find your router. Then select, from the list of applications, Xbox Live 360. Everything you need to know that I was going to tell you is found here.

This will show you how to forward ports 88 and 3074, not to put your system in the DMZ. Let's not try putting your system in the DMZ unless forward those two ports fails.

I apologize if you know how to do this and I am insulting your intelligence, but judging that you weren't familiar with the DMZ, I'm guessing you're not. If you've never dealt with forwarding ports before, it can be tricky.

The thing is, most routers should work with Xbox Live without needing to forward ports. Even so, give this a try. I'll look at Netgear's support site to help you, too.

Edit: Found this: Netgear Support

There is a lot of information on this page, that takes subtle shots at Microsoft, and in other places, contradicts what they say. I say go with what Netgear says on this issue, but be warned that Netgear, by and large, does not give a shit (I know this from personal experience trying to get the DS to work).

It is precisely this kind of thing that causes me to stay away from Netgear. When it turns into a he-said she-said affair, I'm going to drop the product that costs the least. Xbox $$$ > Netgear $$$. I recommend Linksys.

Don't worry if your router is not Xbox Live certified, I believe Microsoft discontinued doing that. Generally, any router can work with Xbox (I know it hurts to read that). However, they discontinued the Xbox Live certification program for routers before the Wireless Adapter came out.

Edit: DURRRRRR They didn't discontinue it. Here's the list. Looks like a lot of Netgear's are supported.

Also, are you power cycling your devices? Turn off everything, and unplug the router and broadband modem from the wall.

Plug in the broadband modem, wait for it to finish booting.

Plug in router, wait for it to finish booting.

Turn everything back on.

Is there anyway to preview icons and themes on the Marketplace? The prices are low and all, but I don't want to plunk down points and be disappointed in what I got.

Is there anyway to preview icons and themes on the Marketplace? The prices are low and all, but I don't want to plunk down points and be disappointed in what I got.

No, there's the occasional free icons and themes and then the paid ones. There's no previews available, but all of the current Xbox Original avatars and themes are free, and most tv show/movie ones are free.

Paying to download icons and themes is for chumps, though. I'll probably stick with my panda bear until MS kills that stupid practice.