TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dangerous A

TNA iMPACT rating drops to 0.6

From PWInsider (and joejigatame)

The rating for TNA's Impact dropped again this past Saturday as the show scored a 0.6 rating. In Males 18-49, they scored a .6 and in Males 18-34, they pulled a .7. The average audience was 618,000 viewers. This past week's show was really strong and featured the debut of former WWE star Christian Cage, which does make the drop even more unsettling.

Discuss. Besides the obvious like Jarrett does NOT equal ratings.

Guest Coffey

Well, it's hard to discuss. Each situation is pretty much speculation. Maybe other people feel like I do and can't stand the local Orlando crowd or the commentary? Maybe people would rather read the spoilers? Perhaps and hour of wrestling on a Saturday night isn't worth staying home for?

TNA had a couple of weeks to build up interest. They coasted instead. Yeah, Christian showed up. So did the Dudley Boyz. What happened to both of them? They came in and did shit with Jarrett whom no one sees as a star. People are tired of it.

Guest Joejigatame

Quite a disappointing rating.

As I said in the other thread, it could suggest that the PPVs may not be selling well, preventing any significant ratings spike. I don't think there were any press releases mentioning Christian's debut, so people may not have been aware he was on the roster. On the other hand, it could mean that the Peeps watch TNA regularly anyway.

Next week's rating is reasonably important, as it may gauge how well Christian will do in the short term. However, he needs to be fully integrated into the product before the ratings are fully relevant regarding how well he can draw. It's a shame though, because the quality of the shows has been decent.

it means nothing. Maybe next week it will go up due to word of mouth about Christian.

They need to push Jeff more. And, they should check the roster for any distant relatives to the McMahons...thatd be a ratings bonanza.

Guest Joejigatame
They need to push Jeff more. And, they should check the roster for any distant relatives to the McMahons...thatd be a ratings bonanza.

Vince has a brother, maybe he should appear on Impact and offer to buy the promotion, only for Jarrett to blast him with a guitar.

it means nothing. Maybe next week it will go up due to word of mouth about Christian.

Of course it means something. Perhaps it reflects what people thought of the previous weeks' show, and the week before that?

Let's brainstorm and come up with possible reasons TNA's rating dropped a tenth of a point(or maybe less provided they are rounded up or down)

cuz thats not pointless.

no pun intended.

Guest Joejigatame

Orrrrr... you could brainstorm over why they've lost a third of their viewers in just over three weeks?

0.8-0.6=0.2 in fraction form 1/4

Let's brainstorm and come up with possible reasons TNA's rating dropped a tenth of a point(or maybe less provided they are rounded up or down)

cuz thats not pointless.

no pun intended.

Actually, what can be discussed is the big picture in the ratings drop. Yes, it was only a .1 drop this week, however it has been a free fall from 3 weeks ago, when they were scoring a .9 They are now down .3 from their peak, which isn't bad, but when you can't even get a full ratings point, then .3 becomes a concern.

It all boils down once again to the fact that TNA isn't giving us much reason to care about these guys. They seem to be starting to if this week's show is any indication, but there still isn't a "money" angle yet that makes me want to tune in each week to see how it will progress. Perhaps AJ/Joe or even Monty/Christian will become one, but they aren't there yet.

Tenay and West don't bother me much, but that crowd is starting to get on my nerves a bit.

Guest Joejigatame

Didn't they peak at 0.9 in the Saturday night slot? Or was that just the Thursday special?

Guest Joejigatame

Thanks. So, unless my mathematics ability has regressed since school, that's a loss of a third of their viewership in a month.

Guest Desperate Housewife

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Man Cage and that all look like idiots now.

It's useless to speculate on the week by week ratings.

The ratings are a lagging indicator.

I suspect hardcore fans didn't watch the show due to no quality X-Division match and that's your 0.1 right there.

And anyone bitching about "character development" hasn't watched the last show and the PPV, because there's been an obvious shift in focus from "let's throw all the wrestling out there we can" to "let's do more promos, angles, and backstage skits to get guys over". Hell, Alex Shelley got mic time at the last PPV!

iMPACT needs 2 hours to build up the stars and feuds for the new fans. Right now the formula seems to be open up with a hot X division match, Larry Zybrisko backstage segment, squash match, then main event. The problem is the bad sports entertainment acting by Larry Zybrisco, Shane Douglas, Jeff Jarrett.....the banging on the janitor's closet pretending that it is the office of the authority figure looks bush league.

I said up until now they hadn't and were coasting along this month. They should have started doing this on and after the 2-hour special.

Um, I know that a .1 drop isnt big for wwe or others that are getting 2s or 3s...but TNA is going from .9 and losing .1, then another .1, and another. This is common sense here Carnival, what to you might just be meaningless fractions, is actually a company on a serious downward spiral that if it lasts just one or 2 more weeks will see a cut in half the company's viewersip in only one month.

Whoever mentioned how Christian and the Dudleys have been wasted by eing quickly involved with Jeff is right...heres some guys that could pop a .1 in the positive direction, and instead they always get thrown into the mix with Jeff 'Ratings Abyss' Jarrett.

Jeffs the champ, hes in the main events, all the new guys are involved with him in some way, rumor and sense indicates he has the book...who should we blame for this ratings problem? Noone, its not a problem!

Guest Coffey

I think that another big problem is that TNA are booking their shows to build to their PPV's in the same way that WWE does. I'm not saying it's not a good business idea to build with your free time to the show that costs money. Obviously, that's smart. The big difference being that people already know about and watch Raw. iMPACT! can't really say the same thing.

TNA should be building up their TV first. Make people want to watch the shows. Once you got people checking out the shows, then throw in the dramatic storylines and whatnot to make 'em drop the thirty bones every other month or whatever.

Each iMPACT! as of right now is "hey, look what's going to happen next Sunday!" instead of "this is a reason to be watching right now."

I do not like TNA at all. Basically, they do not have any storylines, let alone creative ones. Their show is way too fast paced, nothing ever sinks in, it just gets annoying. Their wrestlers have zero personality outside of Joe, Daniels and JJ's bad HHH personality. The whole show is way too over-produced, it feels antiseptic, not gritty like a wrestling show should. I feel like I am watching Battlebowl not an actual wrestling show. They need to move into bigger arenas, and change the set, along with the booking. They need to stop pushing everybody, and start pushing 3-4 people (not jj).

Guest Leelee
It all boils down once again to the fact that TNA isn't giving us much reason to care about these guys.

Bingo.

They seem to be starting to if this week's show is any indication, but there still isn't a "money" angle yet that makes me want to tune in each week to see how it will progress.

And this is why I think Christian vs. Monte is terrible, GOD.

TNA can't build feuds. TNA can't build characters. There's about 5 people who have any sort of character in TNA.

Then you kill the momentum of one, or possibly both with a pointless run-in.

What's the other option after that?

I'm guessing yet another "surprise" champion, because TNA can't build anyone.