TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Damaramu

Martial Arts that you've taken?

oh yeah, the choke focuses right on those two spots on your neck, wrap a gi or an arm around it and pull in and up...not back...dude will be either tapping or passing out...have you worked on arm bars yet? those are fun!

Yeah armbars are great b/c most people tap nearly immediately before you even apply pressure. Well most of us noobs at least.

Most of the time a minimal amount of pressure is enough, noob or not. There's a reason why top grapplers will tap just as fast as a noob would if they were facing another top grappler.

Hoff do you speak of Joe Rogan Jitsu? Probably not, but he's actually quite good, and a challenge was made to Wesley Snipes for a UFC fight. If that happens, Rogan by prison shanking.

I was speaking of Joe Rogan. I had no idea he was actually a trained martial artist, though. I was thinking of the NewsRadio ep.

Purple belt in Brazilian Jiu jitsu under Eddie Bravo, which is pretty solid, once you get past blue odds are you are pretty dedicated (Order is white, then blue, then purple, then brown, then black). Apparently a lot of fighters that have rolled with him say he's very slick. Take that as you will.

My coach is Patrick Burris. He's like a 7 time national Judo champion and a 2 time Olympian. And he coached the 96 Olympic team.

He told me a story about being in the gold medal round(i think of nationals) and being ahead on points with time winding down. His opponent got him in an arm-bar and before he got a chance to tap the guy dislocated it. He sat there and thought "Well I'm ahead on points. If I tap I walk around with a sling and a silver medal. If I don't tap I walk around with a gold medal and a sling."

So he didn't tap and he won.

He also throws around just about everybody that enters the gym. My first sensei was at school and he was a 5th degree black belt. He tells me a story about training for senior nationals against Pat and feeling helpless while Pat smacked him around.

Well I still think it's awesome to be taught by an olympian that can throw other higher ranking black belts around at will.

Am I way to into this? I can't sleep at night because all I can think about is Judo. I analyze my standing and ground game and go over situations I was in in class and think "Well I could've done this or this". And we don't have class on Monday because it's the USA Stars Christmas party and then on Tuesday I have a final during class so I can't go until Wednesday! It's driving me crazy!

Well if it's something you actually dedicate yourself to, it's pretty normal I'd say. If I have a bad day or don't do too well I always try to analyze what went wrong and how I can try to change that in the future, for instance what mistake I made to get tapped.

I always found it weird for people to be obsessed about something when they have no stake in it whatsoever, like they don't play the sport at all. See most sports fans.

I'm going through training withdraw. I need to get in there and train but I can't b/c the gym is closed on Sunday's and tomorrow is the christmas party so there will be no training. And then Tuesday I have a final during class time. ARGH!

So how much is judo and jiu-jitsu going to help me if it comes to some bar fight or something? I've never started a fight but I've had a couple started with me. I'm usually able to handle myself b/c it's some smaller guy with a chip on his shoulder but I mean I'm fucked if I get into it with someone who's my size and has been in some fights.

So it'd be nice to have this stuff as defense.

I suppose you can even save yourself from having to hurt someone if you know some good chokes.

Guest Brian
If you have someone in a choke, you leave yourself open to be stabbed in the back.

In more ways than one.

The best option is jsut to use your grappling to outposition someone and beat the hell out of them on the ground, going for a submission seems futile.

It's mostly about grappling positioning rather than a submission finish. Besides, once you get the submission, what are you going to do? Is the guy going to tap? Are you gonna shatter a limb/choke him out? Better to give the option of just ending a fight with strikes, rather than inflict permanent damage and risk the chance of doing something you'd regret, like going to jail or something.

In a bar fight I doubt you'd get stabbed in the back, I don't know if he was joking or not. I mean unless the guy is with his friends. It's funny to me when people talk about fighting effectiveness on the streets, it's only with grappling that they assume there to be multiple opponents. If there were multiple opponents, I'd rather have grappling than striking, not because I plan on winning, but so I could use the grappling to be to handle myself when all the guys jump in for a beating and just survive by getting the hell out of there. Although I can't think of a situation when twenty people try to whoop my ass anyway.

Well you can really hurt someone with striking if you're a lot stronger than them. What I was saying was that if you don't want to hurt them or get into too much trouble then you slap a blood choke on and let him pass out and it's over and nobody is hurt.

I've been interested in martial arts on and off since childhood. This thread has gotten me "on" again. I need to see if my gym offers judo classes.

On a related note, there is a Royce Gracie jiu-jitsu academy in Riverside.

The point I was making was that you don't know what's going on in a bar fight. It isn't one on one, unless there is just you two there. If there is anyone else, there is the potential for them to jump in. You just don't know. That dude you're choking could have a dozen buddies ready to beat the shit out of you. By putting someone in a choke, you leave yourself defenseless. Someone can take a free shot, if you're lucky, and knife you or break a bottle over your head if they're drunk or insane enough. You just don't know.

The best fighting style for a bar fight, and any fighter will tell you this, is the run-away style. Worst comes to worst and you can't get out of it, or your buddy is getting beat up, a good punch will do you pretty well. It's quick, you can go back immediately to your defenses, or you can follow up on it. Chokes and grappling are all good in a one on one situation, but not a bar fight situation. Because, say it with me now, you just don't know.

RRR: Bar Fight Expert.

I don't know...every bar around here, fights never go longer than a minute or so before 50 bouncers swarm in to break it apart...both inside and outside in the parking lots...Police are called in, they're on it right away and they ensure both parties leave seperately and in seperate directions before they bail...now if the two parties meet up somewhere later, what can ya do? I swear, in Omaha, Bouncing has gotta be in the top 5 list of jobs...you'd think it was some ritzy NY club you were walking in to...my point being, the chances of getting stabbed from behind are less than the chances of the fight getting broken apart by security...I'm not disputing you, Rudo, I think you're right, just saying what it's like HERE...he could survive a bar fight here, but his ass better learn something else JUST IN CASE.

Seriously, though, Dama, are you learning this stuff just so you can unleash your fury later?

Edited by Black Lushus

So I was drinking with my friends last night... and this girl I know is a jiu-jitsu blackbelt from Venesuela.

So eventually we are talking and I claim that I can pass her guard. Not because I thought I could, but because she's good looking and also I wanted the challenge. I have no training in any martial art except boxing and I've watched a lot of MMA.

So anyway I did end up passing her guard in about 30 seconds or less. She said she was impressed but she excused it because she was drunk.

Nontheless I was totally stoked that I passed her guard and gained mount. But now I'm wondering if she just let me do it because she wanted me to "mount" her.

So I was drinking with my friends last night... and this girl I know is a jiu-jitsu blackbelt from Venesuela.

So eventually we are talking and I claim that I can pass her guard. Not because I thought I could, but because she's good looking and also I wanted the challenge. I have no training in any martial art except boxing and I've watched a lot of MMA.

So anyway I did end up passing her guard in about 30 seconds or less. She said she was impressed but she excused it because she was drunk.

Nontheless I was totally stoked that I passed her guard and gained mount. But now I'm wondering if she just let me do it because she wanted me to "mount" her.

*high five*

So I was doing judo for fun and fitness and maybe some competition but now all these jiu-jitsu guys are getting in my ear and telling me I need to do MMA because they think I'm strong and one of them had me hit on the bag and said that I hit really hard but I needed technique.

How much will judo even help in MMA? You can't really use any judo throws can you?

And what striking should I learn?

Judo has been successfully adapted in MMA by guys like Karo Parisyan, Hidehiko Yoshida, and even Fedor Emelianenko. Karo has some of the most beautiful throws and submission techniques (his rolling kimura on dave strasser is an all-timer). But no one style makes for a successful fighter. Not any more. But then again, dismissing a style for not being useful is wrong. Once upon a time Karate techniques were looked down upon, now you have Georges St. Pierre using moves from his kyokushin training. You can get something useful from the majority of martial arts out there. Judo probably helps you more with balance standing up and the ability to pivot your hips more than jiu jitsu, for instance.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4...1996320&q=fedor

Fedor uses hip throws and leg trips very successfully, watch this HL video.

I didn't know forms of karate and tae kwon do or what not would help with ultimate fighting. I always figured that those only worked in a tournament situation and I didn't even think they helped out in self defense.

So what style do most of the strikers utilize? Straight up boxing? Kick-boxing? Muay Thai? Taking the boxing class will help out my striking a lot won't it?

If you're interested in betting your conditioning, then boxing will really help out. It's so much more than just punching. The footwork is a big part and that is great for cardio. In terms of fighting, the only champion right now that doesn't have good punching ability is Matt Hughes. When you look up and down the board, Fedor, Silva, Hendo and Gomi potentially in PRIDE, Arlovski, Liddell, and Franklin in UFC, their primary weapons are punches. One of the best tools a fighter can have is a solid jab. In terms of overall, boxing is just one piece of the puzzle. Muay Thai lends itself well to MMA mainly for the leg kicks. Next to a jab, the leg kick is one of the most effective tools a fighter can have and unlike Karate, thai boxers usually kick with their backleg, which offers more power rather than a front leg or switch kick. The thing with both of these styles is, though, is that in terms of footwork, they open up a fighter to get taken down easily. With boxing, for example, so much is dependant on footwork and leading in and putting weight on your front foot that it essentially leaves a leg out there to get picked and grabbed. Bas Rutten changed his stand-up style to offer a wider base because it allowed him to react better when someone was shooting in for a takedown.

Andy Hug, a K-1 fighter, used tons of kyokushinkai techniques in his stand up. Spinning back leg kicks (using the heel of the foot to hit the knee of his opponent, which was able to knock guys down with a single hit), Axe kicks, spinning back fists. More and more those moves are getting adapted for MMA. GSP does axe kicks to his opponents' body/stomach when they're on the ground. It's not really about the style any more, it's how one incorporates it into their game.