TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Damaramu

Martial Arts that you've taken?

Ok so here's the story. When I was a little kid I took Tae Kwon Do. It was alright but I can admit that I didn't learn a damn thing and I think I would've gotten my ass whipped if I ever tried to use it in a fight.

So fast forward to a couple of years ago and I decide to take up kick-boxing. I have a couple of lessons and then I lose my job. And since all fighting forms are expensive as hell to take I can't do it anymore.

Fast forward to this semester. OU offers Judo as a class for credit. So I decide to take it and man this is the most fun out of all of them. I love to wrestle already and that's basically what Judo is.

So the other day I'm doing interviews for a story I'm writing on OU students performing in MMA competitions. I go to this place just up the street from my house called "USA Stars". They teach Judo, Kickboxing, Boxing, Olympic Weightlifting, Jiu-Jitsu, and something called Filipino Fighting Arts.

After I get done with the interview I begin talking to the head trainer, Patrick Burris. Turns out he is a 5 time world champion and he's coached olympic Judo teams.

Well he finds out that I'm taking Judo at school and tells me that he wants me to come up and workout with his Judo group. He told me he'll get me in better shape, teach me a hard style of Judo, and he won't charge me for a while.

Then after that it's 60 bucks a month and you can use the gym at will and learn ANY of the fighting arts they teach. All for that flat fee. He says that the reason he does it that way is b/c he's not in it for profit. Which we know he is but obviously not like some other gyms that'll charge you for each sport.

Anyway I'm excited about getting started on Tuesday night because I love Judo and this should be fun(yet painful).

So who else here studies martial arts and wants to share their experience?

Guest cosbywasmurdered

I did Judo for about 2 years, I competed once in a tournment when I was 13 before I cracked two of my ribs playing hockey. It was alot of fun and has saved my ass numerous times in fights.

Probably the most important thing I learnt though was how to fall, considering how clumsy I am, it's come in handy.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I want to learn that crazy shit from the phillipines with the sticks.

Guest Brian
I read a Karate book when I was a kid. That's as far as I got.

I've learned since that a firearm will outperform any hippie roundhouse kick...

Unless that roundhouse comes from Bas Rutten.

rutten_lethal_large.jpg

Don't forget the car keys on your way out.

I read a Karate book when I was a kid. That's as far as I got.

I've learned since that a firearm will outperform any hippie roundhouse kick...

Unless that roundhouse comes from Bas Rutten.

rutten_lethal_large.jpg

Don't forget the car keys on your way out.

I've seen this and it's a pretty cool little instructional video on how to kick ass in bars and other situations. Some of the stuff in it may seem a little goofy but it's entertaining nonetheless. I didn't know who this Rutten guy was before watching this but he's pretty charismatic and has a sense of humor so you can watch it for shits and giggles over and over again.

Oh he is.

There are a bunch of great Bas Rutten stories, but the best one is one that I actually have no idea of what happened in between. I know it started with a man with an AK 47 threatening him, and ended with him pissing all over a man he knocked out that threatened him with an AK 47. What happened in between, I don't know.

Bas Jitsu>Gun Jitsu

I was in karate classes (not sure what the name of the disclipline was it was just called "Self-defense Young olympians) for about 2 years back in junior high, I got to 3rd degree orange belt before I dropped out in 96 cuz I didnt feel like walking there every monday at 8 and missing the start of raw

So I went to my first Judo class at USA Start today. It was awesome. It was hard but rewarding in the end and I think I learned a lot. That and I got complimented by one of the black belts for my strength and technique on a certain move. Excellent.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Oh he is.

There are a bunch of great Bas Rutten stories, but the best one is one that I actually have no idea of what happened in between. I know it started with a man with an AK 47 threatening him, and ended with him pissing all over a man he knocked out that threatened him with an AK 47. What happened in between, I don't know.

Bas Jitsu>Gun Jitsu

This man had no will to pull the trigger.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I'm considering switching from a .357 to a can of mace and a straightrazor.

Oh he is.

Bas Jitsu>Gun Jitsu

Uh...was the guy trying to HIT him with the AK-47?

So I went to my first Judo class at USA Start today. It was awesome. It was hard but rewarding in the end and I think I learned a lot. That and I got complimented by one of the black belts for my strength and technique on a certain move. Excellent.

You should join one of those "Power of Christ" traveling shows, and use the Lord's strength to throw remote controls through solid steel. Then talk about the dangers of television violence and how it can lead to domestic abuse.