TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mole

Box Office Report...

1 1 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire WB $54,905,000 -46.5% 3,858 - $14,231 $201,089,000 $150 2

2 2 Walk the Line Fox $19,700,000 -11.8% 3,138 +177 $6,277 $54,721,000 - 2

3 N Yours, Mine and Ours Par. $17,475,000 - 3,206 - $5,450 $24,500,000 $45 1

4 3 Chicken Little BV $12,421,000 -15.6% 3,475 -39 $3,574 $118,235,000 - 4

5 N Rent SonR $10,700,000 - 2,433 - $4,397 $18,050,000 $40 1

6 N Just Friends NL $9,275,000 - 2,505 - $3,702 $13,600,000 - 1

7 10 Pride and Prejudice Focus $7,027,000 +228.1% 1,299 +1,078 $5,409 $15,901,000 - 3

8 5 Zathura Sony $4,900,000 -4.6% 2,620 -612 $1,870 $26,025,000 $65 3

9 4 Derailed Wein. $4,717,000 -27.5% 2,061 -386 $2,288 $29,415,000 $22 3

10 N In the Mix Lions $4,475,000 - 1,608 - $2,782 $6,150,000 - 1

11 N The Ice Harvest Focus $3,744,000 - 1,550 - $2,415 $5,051,000 - 1

12 6 Jarhead Uni. $2,861,000 -39.8% 1,612 -801 $1,774 $59,420,000 $72 4

Rent might hold up well because of repeat business.

That'll be all it gets.

My gripe with the ads was twofold:

1) They assumed people had heard of/knew what the hell the play was about.

2) Too many quote from critics claiming it was greatest thing since condoms.

Unless you are a fan of the play, there wasn't any reason given to see this movie.

It's going to easily be higher then 35. It should beat Azkaban and possibly beat Chamber of Secrets.

I said atleast.

That'll be all it gets.

My gripe with the ads was twofold:

1) They assumed people had heard of/knew what the hell the play was about.

2) Too many quote from critics claiming it was greatest thing since condoms.

Unless you are a fan of the play, there wasn't any reason given to see this movie.

I think everyone knows what Rent is.

1) Well if you didn't know what the play was, you probably weren't going to see the movie anyway.

Not the best marketing strategy, considering the play is less than 10 years old.

2) Every movie does that.

Did you SEE the TV spots? It was like the newspaper quotes were carpet-bombing the screen at the end of World War II.

I think everyone knows what Rent is.

The only reason I've heard of it is because my ex-girlfriend's sister was a theater nerd. A play about a bunch of HIV-positive Gen-Xers isn't exactly Phantom of the Opera.

Walk the Line did extremely well, only an 11% drop. I am glad, that movie kicks all kinds of ass. And Ryan Reynolds cannot carry a movie alone. Which is a shame cause he's really a good comedic actor.

I don't blame him for JUST FRIENDS though, it looked like a really horrible movie and releasing it Thanksgiving weekend didn't give me much hope. RENT not making over 15 million surprised me alot.

1) Well if you didn't know what the play was, you probably weren't going to see the movie anyway.

Not the best marketing strategy, considering the play is less than 10 years old.

2) Every movie does that.

Did you SEE the TV spots? It was like the newspaper quotes were carpet-bombing the screen at the end of World War II.

The TV spots that I seen were of Rosario Dawson dancing around like a stripper, the New Years Eve countdown, and "93572398523408302948302423 seconds to..." It did not exactly tell me what the movie was about other than the general idea of it being a popular musical from NYC.

The TV spots that I seen were of Rosario Dawson dancing around like a stripper, the New Years Eve countdown, and "93572398523408302948302423 seconds to..." It did not exactly tell me what the movie was about other than the general idea of it being a popular musical from NYC.

THAT ad made we want to see it even less.

Hey, when's this movie set anyways (is a specific year/decade given)? Or are we just supposed to assume its the present?

I had maybe just barely heard of Rent until Team America came out, then I read about the "Everyone Has AIDS" music number being a spoof of Rent. A musical with bohemians in NYC dying of AIDS? I think I'll pass.

RENT not making over 15 million surprised me alot.

Well it got released on a Wednesday and made $18 million.

I expected at mim 22 million for the entire Wed-weekend run. It was well below even my lowest of expectations.

I ALMOST want to see Rent. Check out what the big deal is.

In the Mix bombed to no one's suprise.

Ryan Renolds hasn't had a good chance to carry a movie yet. Neither Waiting or Just Friends have gotten a big ad push or release

I ALMOST want to see Rent. Check out what the big deal is.

In the Mix bombed to no one's suprise.

Ryan Renolds hasn't had a good chance to carry a movie yet. Neither Waiting or Just Friends have gotten a big ad push or release

Just friends didn't get a big ad push? I couldn't avoid the horrible ads for that movie.

I saw Walk the Line on thanksgiving day and I'm pleased to see that it's holding steady at the box office and hope it remains so because as others already stated, it was indeed a kick ass movie.

To say everyone has heard of Rent is an inaccurate assessment to make because Broadway plays no matter how successful isn’t always going to be widely known with some notable exceptions. I don't believe Rent qualifies in that category.

Rent made a decent if somewhat disappointing opening of $18 million thanks to a core audience but there are indicators showing it won't get much word of mouth and that it's not getting any interest from potential viewers who aren't clued into what Rent is. Repeat business thanks to devoted fan-base will help though.

I also agree with the Ryan Reynolds sentiments, he is a solid comedic performer but he has a weakness for selecting low brow and ultimately cheap comedies. Just Friends looks as generic as a comedy can be and that wasn’t helping his case at all to be a leading role star. It also hurt that he had another comedy bomb just a few weeks ago. He obtained moderate cult like fame for Van Wilder but hasn’t managed to parlay that into a bigger career.

I had maybe just barely heard of Rent until Team America came out, then I read about the "Everyone Has AIDS" music number being a spoof of Rent.  A musical with bohemians in NYC dying of AIDS?  I think I'll pass.

What about The Simpsons' "Behind the Laughter" episode?

Artist: As a young female artist, I really love living in this east village loft. [knock on door] Oh, that must be our new landlord, Mr. Stingly.

Homer: [comes through the door dressed in black, a cape, top hat and fake mustache; laughs evilly; sings] Where is the rent? I must have the rent. Dollars, dimes, and nickels -- I need them all right now!

The bg winner this week is obviously Walk the Line (great movie BTW), but WB should be very happy that Goblet of Fire didn't have a greater than 50% drop when it made so much the first weekend. Usually you get 60+% drops with that kind of opening. That should tell you that the film was fairly well recieved by audiences.

I can honestly say - quite proudly - that I had no clue what the play / movie "Rent" was about.

And now that I know it's about a bunch of people with the Hivvie, I care even LESS about seeing it, if that's even possible.