TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mole

Box Office Report...

I can honestly say - quite proudly - that I had no clue what the play / movie "Rent" was about.

And now that I know it's about a bunch of people with the Hivvie, I care even LESS about seeing it, if that's even possible.

Seconded, word for word. Except, in my case, you could edit it to say the following:

And now that I know it's about a bunch of New Yorkers with the Hivvie, I care even LESS about seeing it, if that's even possible.

Wow, being proud about not hearing about something. Your accomplishments must be stellar.

You know, a musical about a bunch of friends living in a run-down building, and a couple of them gets AIDS sounds better than a musical about some complete bitch who murders a man in cold blood, and gets off because of her asshole shyster lawyer, and then abandons here husband, the only sympathetic character. But people lurved that movie too.

And if you've never heard of Rent you're either really young, or just ignorant. It was a fucking cultural phenomenon when it debuted, and it's the biggest musical since Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Note, I'm not saying this as a fan of Rent. I've never seen it, and I won't see it in the theatre. But you all sound like a bunch of jackasses, talking about how you're proud of never hearing about it.

P.S: Last night I saw a documentary/concert film of johnny Cash visiting Sam Quentin. It was fucking awesome. Johnny Cash was the shit.

Well said Special K. OMG NEW YORKERS WITH AIDS R TEH SUK1~

I thought Walk the Line was great, and much better then Ray. In Ray, they acted like Ray Charles was this great hero, while in Walk the Line, I thought they were more accurate in their portrayl of Johnny. He was an asshole, and the movie didn't hide away from that.

Rent made a decent if somewhat disappointing opening of $18 million thanks to a core audience but there are indicators showing it won't get much word of mouth and that it's not getting any interest from potential viewers who aren't clued into what Rent is. Repeat business thanks to devoted fan-base will help though.

Did anyone read this and think of a column from Yahoo?

You know, a musical about a bunch of friends living in a run-down building, and a couple of them gets AIDS sounds better than a musical about some complete bitch who murders a man in cold blood, and gets off because of her asshole shyster lawyer, and then abandons here husband, the only sympathetic character. But people lurved that movie too.

while this may well be true, the "He Had It Coming" musical sequence in Chicago was fantastic...

Damn did all of the new releases sure bomb for the most part. Most dissapointed in Ice Harvest - went to it over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Anyone got individual numbers for the IMAX box office for Harry Potter? Also went to that over the weekend and it was sold out, pretty overwhelming being in a sold out show in one of the largest number of seats I've seen in a theatre to date. Capacity there was something nuts to say the least.

When I took a college music class a couple years ago, my teacher showed us a portion of a performance of Rent (about 1/2 hours worth)

All I have to say is the Team America sequence, aside from actually being entertaining, summed up everything nicely in a fraction of that time.

I saw Just Friends and it wasn't bad. Not worth full admission and has the typical formulaic ending for a romantic comedy, but there was enough funny high spots from both Ryan Reynolds (he's basically the same guy from all his other movies, but I don't mind it) and Anna Farris that this wasn't a bad movie at all.

Ryan Reynolds lip synching "I Swear" fucking killed me.

I saw GoF on IMAX as well and recommend it to any fans of the Potter movies.

I'm wondering if Narnia and King Kong are slated for IMAX and if they would translate well in that environment?

Wow, being proud about not hearing about something. Your accomplishments must be stellar.
One thing has nothing to do with the other. You could fairly argue that my priorities are out of whack, but implying that I haven't accomplished anything because I take pride in not knowing what some musical is about is pretty ignorant. I haven't discovered a cure for cancer, but I feel pretty confident that my accomplishments stand on their own. And, quite frankly, unless you yourself have discovered a cure for cancer, you probably don't have a whole lot of room to talk about another man's accomplishments.

And if you've never heard of Rent you're either really young, or just ignorant. It was a fucking cultural phenomenon when it debuted, and it's the biggest musical since Andrew Lloyd Webber.
Kiss my ass, you pretentious bastard; I am neither young, nor ignorant. First of all, I didn't say that I'd never heard of it, I said that I didn't know what it's about; not the same thing. Secondly, it's a little thing called different tastes, and fuck you for implying that I'm somehow "unwashed" because I don't fucking watch musicals. I've watched exactly one musical in my life and, while I did find it entertaining (primarily because I'd read and enjoyed the novel that it was based on first), it wasn't even remotely the sort of thing that I watched and thought, "Damn, I gotta watch me some more of this shit!" And, as far as it being a "fucking cultural phenomenon," I couldn't care less. There are a lot of "cultural phenomenon" that I just don't get into at all, and don't feel the worst for it: I don't get The Godfather at all; ditto for the James Bond movies. I only watched the first Matrix movie, and I've never seen any of the LOTR or Harry Potter movies, "cultural phenomenon" be damned.

And I don't watch musicals. So sue me.

Note, I'm not saying this as a fan of Rent. I've never seen it, and I won't see it in the theatre. But you all sound like a bunch of jackasses, talking about how you're proud of never hearing about it.
And, as far as sounding like a jackass... well, at least I'm in the right place.

Dude, you sound out of your mind, and I didn't call you unwashed. Don't put words in my mouth. Also, I wasn't even talking to you.

I'm ignorant of plenty of things. We ALL are. No one has the time in their life to be invest in every passtime and subject. If they did, they'd be a useless human being. I don't take pride in my ignorance of those things though. THAT'S the difference. I'm not super big on musicals, but you assume I am. I don't give a shit about musicals, or Rent, but taking pride in not knowing shit is retarded. Keep on keeping it real, though.

One thing has nothing to do with the other. You could fairly argue that my priorities are out of whack, but implying that I haven't accomplished anything because I take pride in not knowing what some musical is about is pretty ignorant. I haven't discovered a cure for cancer, but I feel pretty confident that my accomplishments stand on their own. And, quite frankly, unless you yourself have discovered a cure for cancer, you probably don't have a whole lot of room to talk about another man's accomplishments.

Wow, it was a glib comment. Did I hit a nerve or what? You can stop crying now, I didn't really mean it.

The green colouring kinda kills the message. Might be just me though.

It's. Teal...

And, Special K, you might not have said the words, but in my opinion it was implied when you said that you're ignorant if you haven't heard of "Rent."

Wow, it was a glib comment. Did I hit a nerve or what?
Uh, no... and "glib" does not translate well over the internet when not accompanied by smileys. For all I know, you're accusing me of being a piece of shit for not watching a musical which, if that's what you'd meant, I would take offense to.

Nice cheap shot, though... well, not really...

And, apropos of nothing, it's been my experience that "glib" comments have been the cause of more (and more vicious) flame wars on the internet than anything else I can think of. And seeing as how you had no reason to believe that we share the same sense of humor (seeing as how we'd never crossed paths before), saying essentially that you didn't mean it - or that you'd only said it in jest - after the fact is kind of taking the cheap way out.

EDIT - That's cold, Ripper.

Edited by Mr. S£im Citrus

Whats so different about IMAX? I've never seen one, nor do we have one locally so I'm just curious.

The screen is overwhelmingly huge, and the sound is completely fucking awesome. Seen Batman Begins, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and now Harry Potter in an IMAX and it is definately something else.

They are already pimping out Superman for next summer in the IMAX - that appears to probably be the next real major box office film to hit em.

I doubt Kong, Narnia, etc, will be in the IMAX since I think they have an exclusive license with Warner Bros movies only. I did hear something about Kong being re-released in 3-D though in March/April, on a side note.

Ok, calm down, go back and reread this thread. It was basically a bunch of people sucking each other off about how they were so proud about how they weren't going to see this movie, or hadn't heard about this movie or whatever. A movie they hadn't seen. They didn't qualify their comments at all. Why, because it's a musical? Because it's in NY? Because it has a couple characters who die of AIDS? Vyce does this ALL the fucking time, and what the fuck does it add to the conversation?

If you think I'm pretentious and think of people who haven't seen Rent as 'unwashed' you're letting your own perception of the movie and its audience (I take from your comments you think anyone who likes a musical is an artsy-fartsy pretentious asshole) color what I posted. My post wasn't about Rent at all. It was about pointless negativity over a movie NO ONE HAD SEEN, that adds nothing to the discussion. I said very plainly that I had never seen Rent, and had no emotional investment in it. Shit, my favorite movie's 'The Naked Gun.'

Slayer said he saw the musical, and it sucked. Fair enough. I'll tell you that I think 'Batman and Robin' is the worst movie ever made. Why? Because I had to sit through it. Gigli is probably terrible, but I'm not going to bitch and moan about it on a message board because *gasp*, I haven't seen it!

If you honestly think that I really, truly, honestly thought that being proud about not having heard of Rent=you have accomplished nothing in life, then you fucking suck at message boarding. (Doesn't make you a bad person, to make this clear) You should quit now, because you are just not going to be able to keep taking all this shit so seriously and maintain your sanity.

Late me state THIS as plainly as possible. Ignorant (adj): unaware, uninformed. If you have never heard of Rent you are completely ignorant in regards to modern theater. Does this make you stupid? No. ignorant does not mean stupid. Sorry if you think it does, but that's your ignorance of the meaning of the word ignorant. Does it make you a bad person? What a ridiculous statement. It means exactly what it says, you're ignorant regarding theater. That's not that terrible a thing at all. If you think it's such an insult, take an interest in theater. If not, what's the Big Fucking Deal? And I made the statement because I honestly marvel that anyone's not heard of it. So you haven't seen 'The Matrix'. You've obviously heard about it.

Slayer said he saw the musical, and it sucked.

To be fair, only part of it. Nothing of what I saw intrigued me to see the thing in full though.

Also, paragraphs are good.

I stabbed a guy in the heart with a trident!

It has given birth to one of my new favorite quotes.

quite frankly, unless you yourself have discovered a cure for cancer, you probably don't have a whole lot of room to talk about another man's accomplishments.

Who knew a movie like Rent could raise such anger in our posters.

After seeing it earlier today, it raises anger in me. I haven't felt that ripped off since I saw "Chicago".

Stick to the actual musical.

Who knew a movie like Rent could raise such anger in our posters.

For the record, I had HEARD of Rent, but never knew what it was about, and since it's a musical that's not already based on something actually does interest me, such as a work of classical literature, such as "Les Miserables" or "Phantom of the Opera", I never cared to inquire as to what it was about. I'm not into theatre.

First of all, I didn't say that I'd never heard of it, I said that I didn't know what it's about; not the same thing. Secondly, it's a little thing called different tastes, and fuck you for implying that I'm somehow "unwashed" because I don't fucking watch musicals.

We're the odd men out here, Citrus. After all, this is the place where people have claimed, quite seriously, that the musical episode of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" is one of the greatest episodes of television ever produced. EVER.

The greatest episode of TV ever is the 'Miami Vice' where Don Johnson shot a plane out of the sky with a 9MM and it just exploded, and there was a long zoom in on Crockett while sad music played.

I'm not into theatre

Aw, you're missing out. There's something for everyone. I'm not enamored with musicals (though I do love me some opera).

It's not like movies lately have been that great.

And if people claimed that Buffy was the best episode ever, I can understand your bitterness at Whedonphiles.