TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

2005-06 MLB Offseason Thread

The first thread is up to 30 pages and we have three full months to go. Time to start a new one, I believe.

I've been in and out the last few days so I haven't had time to fully look over the Phils' latest acquisitions. No big names, but a few role players. The roster looks fairly well stocked, barring a trade.

Catching: The Phillies signed free agent Sal Fasano as a backup to Mike Lieberthal. At surface this is Pat Gillick's most puzzling move, as Fasano is not a particularly great defensive catcher, and the club has a defensive catcher waiting in the wings with Carlos Ruiz. The Phils needed to stock their AAA team, so if Fasano can be sent down if Ruiz earns a shot, everything is well. The significant consequence is that the Todd Pratt era is over.

Infield: Abraham Nunez signs, apparently to platoon with David Bell. So instead of one replacement level third baseman, we have two. The Phils lacked a threatening bat off the bench last year, and when your up the middle talent is so good (Rollins and Utley), how many utility infielders do you need?

Outfield: Aaron Rowand will save a few runs this season. The Thome trade moves Jason Michaels to the bench, where he either becomes a high-OBP bench threat, or trade fodder. The Red Sox and Yankees both need a center fielder, so this one is worth watching. ESPECIALLY if Johnny Damon signs elsewhere. Shane Victorino becomes the fifth outfielder, with excellent defensive skills, speed, and pop. Right now the club can claim three switch-hitters on their bench.

Starting Rotation: Hasn't been touched. The Phils are a better pitching team than people realize. They lack a true ace but they're consistant, and the high HR output at Citizens' Bank Park hurts the raw statistics. Lieber, Lidle and Myers make up the front three. There has been talk of non-tendering Vicente Padilla, but with this season's market the Phillies would be crazy to make such a move. For number five the team has their choice of Ryan Madson, Robinson Tejeda, Gavin Floyd and Eude Brito. There has been talk of moving Ryan Madson to the rotation, which I endorse. Randy Wolf could return July or August.

Bullpen: Tom Gordon for three years? Some have suggested that age is not a critical factor for pitchers as much as it is for hitters. We'll see. Rheal Cormier will have a better year. Then we have Julio Santana, Aaron Fultz, Geoff Geary, Aquilino Lopez, and whoever loses the Tejeda/Floyd/Brito/Madson sweepstakes. Pedro Liriano and Franklin Perez have been cut loose.

I think the Braves are still NL East favorites, particularly with Andy Marte coming up. That can move Chipper Jones to first base. It's amazing that the team with eleven straight titles still has the best young talent in the division.

NEW YORK -- The Yankees didn't take much time to replace Tom Gordon, signing Kyle Farnsworth to a three-year contract on Friday.

Farnsworth's deal is worth $17 million, as he takes over the role of Mariano Rivera's primary setup man. That job had been filled for the past two years by Gordon, who agreed to a three-year, $18 million deal with the Phillies on Friday to become Philadelphia's closer.

Not quite sure how I feel on this.

Farnsworth sucks when playing in a large market. The Yanks are paying 17 million for a guy that will have a +4 ERA. Have fun with that.

Has there been any talk about Sammy Sosa going anywhere? If he is willing to go somewhere on the cheap, he would still make for a solid platoon player (.288/.370/.471 vs. lefties last year, just never let him see a righty) and provide some pop off the bench. And I can't see him causing too many problems, when he is only 12 HRs away from 600. I would think he'll at least want to limp there before becoming a distraction.

If I were a team who had no hope and needed something to put a few extra butts in the seats (Royals, Pirates, hell Marlins now) maybe I'd bring Sosa in and hope he can string 12 homeruns together to get to 600. Otherwise there's no point, he's finished.

Has there been any talk about Sammy Sosa going anywhere? If he is willing to go somewhere on the cheap, he would still make for a solid platoon player (.288/.370/.471 vs. lefties last year, just never let him see a righty) and provide some pop off the bench. And I can't see him causing too many problems, when he is only 12 HRs away from 600. I would think he'll at least want to limp there before becoming a distraction.

The Dodgers will give him a look. They've gotta sign some free agents (name ones, whether good or not) as a PR move, or there's going to be a big backlash on McCourt.

What would you two recommend the Yankees do? They had TWO relievers signed to contracts before signing Farnsworth. Sturtze who was awful after a spot start, and Rivera. If Henn isn't traded, he and Matt Smith will fight for the lefty spot, and then probably Aaron Small. Thats it.

Edited by mike546

What would you two recommend the Yankees do? They had TWO relievers signed to contracts before signing Farnsworth. Sturtze who was awful after a spot start, and Rivera. If Henn isn't traded, he and Matt Smith will fight for the lefty spot, and then probably Aaron Small. Thats it.

Providing the rotation stays remotely healthy they can move Chacon back to the pen, put him there with Small, give Colter Bean a shot and you have Rivera/Sturtze/Small/Chacon/Bean/Henn-Smith. Throw a Julio Santana level signing in there and you have a bullpen.

Note: I don't mind the Farnsworth signing. Not being a Cubs fan, I don't have any horror stories of him. But a bullpen can be put together without him.

The Angels signed Hector Carrasco for 2/6.1mil, and plan on having him compete for a starting job. Baseball fans across America respond with, "Who?"

The Phillies released the Keiper-pimped Pedro Liriano, and signed Franklin Perez

Supposedly the Yankees are interested in Julian Tavarez. He pitched well in 03/04, but his numbers declined last season. I get the feeling they're going to overpay for him

The Angels signed Hector Carrasco for 2/6.1mil, and plan on having him compete for a starting job. Baseball fans across America respond with, "Who?"

He'd get shelled and be moved to the pen. He's old too.

You can't move Chacon to the pen. He was easily our best starter in August and September, and there's no reason to think he can't continue that success in 06.

I don't think Wright will have success as a reliever, but out of the starters he should be the guy who makes that move.

Then move Wright, point remains the same that a bullpen can still be constructed. I wonder if Baltimore would have interest in Wright, to try and recapture what Leo did with him in Atlanta.

And the Phillies released both Liriano and Perez, IIRC. Not signed Perez.

And the Phillies released both Liriano and Perez, IIRC. Not signed Perez.

yeah, you're right. I've been drinking :cheers:

Now they're saying Dodgers have offered 3 years/40mil for Furcal. TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN, RAFFI! :lol:

Um, yeah. I am starting to find myself liking the Rollins deal. I thought 8 mil/yr. was a little much, but god damn. At least they would only be overpaying for three years, get some of his peak years and hope the market comes back to earth by that time.

Now they're saying Dodgers have offered 3 years/40mil for Furcal. TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN, RAFFI! :lol:

Fucking A. Congratulations to Raffy if that's true and he accepts.

If Al might read this, I want to hear his thoughts on the Farnsworth signing, if he hasn't mentioned it yet. What kind of season can we expect from him if the Yankees grab someone like a Pierre or Hunter?

In the old thread Al seemed to think Farnsworth will be ok. I have some doubts, but hey, it's a worth a shot. We know he's got killer stuff.

I was listening to Mike and the Mad Dog today, and they just shit all over the signing. Of course, they didn't offer any better ideas...

If they wanted to actually discuss the issue, they should bring up Rudy Seanez since he would probably only cost 1/2-2/3 of what they paid Farnsworth. Since they only need a setup man, Seanez would be fine. But if they are shitting over it without bringing up anything, I doubt they are concerned about discussing the issue and just want to rant and rave.

Or are they the type who aren't happy unless BJ Ryan was signed to pitch the 7th, Wagner for the 8th and Rivera to close?

Marlins still want Cano in any deal involving Pierre according to a few Florida newspapers.

Texas is talking to Boston about Manny. Soriano would be the center piece of the trade. That's according to the Boston Globe. I don't want Soriano here as his numbers have been dropping off. Teams learned he's the real life version of Pedro Sorano when it comes to what he can hit.