TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

2005-06 MLB Offseason Thread

I can't believe the Red Sox got fucking Loretta for their backup catcher. He's basically a Bill Mueller clone, so he'll fit their lineup perfectly, definite upgrade over Bellhorn/that scrub they had down the stretch last year.

Tony Graffanino? I thought he was serviceable for what they needed and I wouldn't have minded seeing him for a full season in Boston. If you are talking about Alex Cora, then I can't disagree with you there.

That Mirabelli trade is highway robbery on the Red Sox part, since Doug had a horrid year at the plate last year (.228/.309/.412, 6 HR, 18 RBI in 136 AB).

I'd also take that Rentaria deal, even if the Sox have to eat a little of that contract. I'd love to have Marte as Varitek's heir apparent.

EDIT: Wait, Marte would go to Tampa, right?

Edited by KingPK

I'd also take that Rentaria deal, even if the Sox have to eat a little of that contract. I'd love to have Marte as Varitek's heir apparent.

EDIT: Wait, Marte would go to Tampa, right?

There have been a few rumored iterations of the deal:

1.) Three team deal: Atlanta gets Renteria, Boston gets Lugo, Tampa gets Marte

2.) Straight up deal: Atlanta gets Lugo, Tampa gets Marte

3.) Straight up deal (gammons rumbling): Boston says fuck Tampa and gets Marte, Atlanta gets Renteria, Boston puts Cora at SS

And Marte is a 3B, not a C.

Al, supposing the Red Sox get Marte. Does Marte plus Clement or Arroyo get you to pull the trigger on an Abreu deal. I'd have reservations, but an IF of Howard, Utley, Rollins, and Marte is a core that I can see bringing in a title over the next few years IMO.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=2251386

Well. Where to with Frank (if anywhere)?

Probably Baltimore to become the Palmerio replacement. They tried to get him awhile back and I can see them being nuts enough to make a run at him. He should just retire but he won't.

He'll probably be signing with the A's as early as tommorrow.

As one other poster mentioned, Danny Kolb was traded from the Braves to the Brewers for Wes Obermueller (who pretty much struggled this past season). Kolb had been traded from Milwaukee to the Braves last off-season for Jose Capellan.

Nice trade for the Brewers...I think their pitching coach Mike Maddux (who, yes, is the brother of _that_ Maddux) can get him back to his 2004 form. Of course, they don't really need him to be a closer, since they have Derrick Turnbow on staff (who had 39 saves this past season).

Kolb is also noted as being the pitcher who came in to pitch during the second inning of the 2004 All Star Game, after the much hyped Roger Clemens gave up six runs in the 1st inning in his home town. Of course, Kolb closed down the side while the announcers rambled on about Clemens.

That's about what it amounts to.

Doug Melvin has been a very good GM for the Brewers thus far. This is the same guy who traded Richie Sexson to the D'backs for six guys (Counsell, Spivey, Overbay, Moeller, Capuano, and De La Rosa), and Sexson ended up playing for the D'backs for about six weeks total before getting injured, and then going to Seattle the next season. That trade basically laid the foundation for the Brewers having an 81-81 record in 2005, and looking at possibly being a wildcard threat in 2006.

I think that they can, but Carlos Lee has to have a season like he did last year and Ben Sheets is going to have to stay healthy.

So, Danny Kolb and Jose Capellan for Wes Obermuller? Ouch.

Well you win some and you lose some. Badly.

At least Kolb is gone, a shame he couldn't take Reitsma with him.

So, Danny Kolb and Jose Capellan for Wes Obermuller and the ability to get rid of Danny Kolb?

We don't know how he's going to play for the Brewers this time around, so you might be correct on that one.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=2251564

I'm having a hard time imagining him signing with anyone else, so I think that's it for Clemens.

Well, Roger's bound and determined to play in the World Championships, so I can see Roger pitching in the WCs in March, taking a month off, then riding in on the white horse on May 1st to sign on for the rest of the season. His body started falling apart at the end of the season, so he may want an extended offseason to get a bit more rest and save his body for the end of the season.

All this, however, is dependant on the Astros getting a bat. I've heard rumors that they're going after Milton Bradley (funny if for no other reaseon than to see if MB drops the race card before he even makes it to Houston) and even potential long shots for ManRam. Local radio guys staking out the winter meetings up in Dallas are reporting that Houston's in "serious talks" for a "major trade acquisition" but I'm not holding my breath for it.

I've heard rumors that they're going after Milton Bradley (funny if for no other reaseon than to see if MB drops the race card before he even makes it to Houston) and even potential long shots for ManRam.

So, who are they giving for Milton?

Mark Grudzielanuk is done in St. Louis. Any guesses as to who they bring in to replace him? Tony Womack, anyone?

They are talking about Brett Boone. That would be retarded, but it's being discussed. I'd just go with Luna, and call it a day. We still need corner outfielders and another starter.

Speaking of Bradley, I wouldn't mind the Cubs trading for him as crazy as that sounds. He a potential PR nightmare, but after a season of Patterson, Hollandsworth, and Lawton, I'd love to see them have something of a formidable outfield.

The Dodgers have to get a starter, so it wouldn't really surprise me to hear Milton's name being thrown around in something for Zito. From the Cubs, I think they'd probably look for help in the bullpen or take Corey Patterson.

Mark Grudzielanuk is done in St. Louis. Any guesses as to who they bring in to replace him? Tony Womack, anyone?

They are talking about Brett Boone. That would be retarded, but it's being discussed. I'd just go with Luna, and call it a day. We still need corner outfielders and another starter.

Where'd you hear this?

Where'd you hear this?

St. Louis Dispatch

I've heard rumors that they're going after Milton Bradley (funny if for no other reaseon than to see if MB drops the race card before he even makes it to Houston) and even potential long shots for ManRam.

So, who are they giving for Milton?

Who knows? I don't know what the Dodgers want, and the Astros farm system isn't terribly deep (OK AAA team, very little at AA, some promising talent at A and rookie ball levels) so it may be one of those things that some reporter thought up after too many Jack and Cokes and microwaved pizza.