TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

2005-06 MLB Offseason Thread

That's a case of having so much money freed up that they don't know what to do with it. Also, bad free agent market.

Looks like the trade is Paul Lo Duca to the Mets for Gaby Hernandez and someone else. The Marlins' firesale continues and the Mets continue to throw away money while not significantly improving their team. In their pursuit of a championship, the Mets have now traded away three of their top four prospects and thrown in this year's first round pick to boot. In return, they received a reliever, a first baseman slightly better than the first base prospect they gave up for him, and the worst second half hitter in baseball.

I think you're downplaying what the Mets have picked up. Wagner is one of the top ten relievers out there and, when healthy, is arguably as good as anybody you'll find in the league. And if you think Carlos Delgado is only slightly better than Michael Jacobs, then I'll just ask you to give me a call if/when Jacobs throws down a .301/.399/.582 line with 33 home runs in the next three years and I'll buy you a drink. Delgado hits and even if he "only" hits .285/.375/.490 with 25 taters next year, that'll probably double what they could have expected from Jacobs, who played over his head for 100 big league at-bats last year.

Not only that, but the holes that they fill on the Mets are huge: this team played Chris Woodward at first for a good portion of the year last year. The bullpen, Looper specifically, was an eyesore for much of the season.

I can't defend the Lo Duca deal (one of the worst deals of the offseason) and the dollars for Wagner were a bit absurd, but it's not like the Mets have pissed away their offseason.

I think you're downplaying what the Mets have picked up. Wagner is one of the top ten relievers out there and, when healthy, is arguably as good as anybody you'll find in the league. And if you think Carlos Delgado is only slightly better than Michael Jacobs, then I'll just ask you to give me a call if/when Jacobs throws down a .301/.399/.582 line with 33 home runs in the next three years and I'll buy you a drink. Delgado hits and even if he "only" hits .285/.375/.490 with 25 taters next year, that'll probably double what they could have expected from Jacobs, who played over his head for 100 big league at-bats last year.

Not only that, but the holes that they fill on the Mets are huge: this team played Chris Woodward at first for a good portion of the year last year. The bullpen, Looper specifically, was an eyesore for much of the season.

I can't defend the Lo Duca deal (one of the worst deals of the offseason) and the dollars for Wagner were a bit absurd, but it's not like the Mets have pissed away their offseason.

I've always felt closers are overrated. Getting an elite closer is worth a few wins on the margins, if that. The Phils lost two games against the Astros in a series when Wagner blew saves. Winning just one of those games would've meant the playoffs. If the NL's best closer can't lock down that, what's the sense of having him? I'm probably bitter. I likely overrated Jacobs. You're right on the Delgado point.

I'm still hesitant to pick the Mets. I honestly feel people are underestimating the Braves again. Well, the media is. ESPN's Sportsnation poll indicates the fans know better.

A's are very close to acquiring Milton Bradley for Kirk Saarloos and a minor leaguer. If it goes through great trade from a talent standpoint. A's have a glut of starting pitchers and even though Saarloos was solid as the 5th starter last year he walks as many as he strikes out which is tough to get by on. As for Bradley if can just stay healthy and hit well, he can choke as many pregnent women as he likes....

Ugh. Does anyone else think that MLB needs a salary cap desperately?

I mean, I'll be psyched if the Jays get Burnett, but $11 million/season for an above-average pitcher is kinda ridiculous.

I mean, I'll be psyched if the Jays get Burnett, but $11 million/season for an above-average pitcher is kinda ridiculous.

Most teams payrolls are reasonable aside from the big 3.

At this point, yes. But I think that at this point it's 6 teams that have the ability to have extremely big payrolls.

If AJ Burnett signs with the Blue Jays, the Marlins get screwed. The Blue Jays have the #14 pick in the draft - meaning that the pick is protected and can not to transferred to the Marlins. They have already given up their 2nd round pick in the BJ Ryan signing (he is rated higher by Elias) - so that would leave the Marlins with the Blue Jays 3rd round pick as well as the sandwich pick. Not exactly Class A.

Big rumor in Cincy is Austin Kearns to the cubs for Jerome Williams and Ricky Nolasco.

Another rumor is Sean Casey to either Boston for Bronson Arroyo or to Pittsburgh for Kip Wells.

Edited by geniusMoment

I wouldn't mind the Kearns deal since he's been ridiculous at Wrigley in his career. Of course, he gets hurt a lot, so there's some reason for concern there. And as maddening as Williams could be last season, I would still take him over Rusch, who'd probably get the fifth spot in the rotation if Williams got dealt.

I don't think so. Salaries have generally risen since the game began. MLB's awash in cash right now from tv deals, their internet holdings (a HUGE cash cow right now) and the XM Radio contract. And to an extent, teams are just hurting themselves with these deals.

There's no need for a salary cap. None whatsoever. If the highest payroll won every year, maybe there'd be a case. If baseball was in a stage of death, possibly. But we've seen that's there's not really a correlation between payroll and success. Recently we've seen Boston spend big and win, Florida spend little and win, New York (either) spend big and lose. Basically a salary cap would just protect owners from themselves, and I don't agree with that.

A's are very close to acquiring Milton Bradley for Kirk Saarloos and a minor leaguer. If it goes through great trade from a talent standpoint. A's have a glut of starting pitchers and even though Saarloos was solid as the 5th starter last year he walks as many as he strikes out which is tough to get by on. As for Bradley if can just stay healthy and hit well, he can choke as many pregnent women as he likes....

That would be a tremendous trade for the A's from a pure talent perspective, but where do they put Bradley in the OF, since Kotsay is entrenched at center? Are there rumblings that they will move Kotsay for another bat?

There's no need for a salary cap. None whatsoever. If the highest payroll won every year, maybe there'd be a case. If baseball was in a stage of death, possibly. But we've seen that's there's not really a correlation between payroll and success. Recently we've seen Boston spend big and win, Florida spend little and win, New York (either) spend big and lose. Basically a salary cap would just protect owners from themselves, and I don't agree with that.

There's just way too much disparity in payrolls for a cap to even be effective; there are teams swimming around the $30-40 million mark, which would be close to a 50% cut for midmarket teams like the Cubs or Padres, and even larger for the big fish like the Yankees, Red Sox, and Mets. I think revenue sharing is the way to go, but I'd like to see more regulation on how those funds are distributed. Of course, that would require the books of every MLB franchise to be readily available for audit and that's not happening anytime soon.

Were they paying all $90 million of that, though? I thought they had some money deferred to other teams (Sosa) that pushed their actual payroll expenditures to around the $80 million mark. If that's not the case, then yeah, I stand corrected.

And the only reason I called them "mid-market" is because I thought they were in the $70-80 range.

Edited by The Man in Blak

Cubs don't need to be a mid-market team. The Trib Co. just thinks they invested enough last season.

Word on the streets is that the Cards are interested in Jacque Jones. Please let it happen.

As long as Jones comes with a cheap price tag ($3-5 million), I think he wouldn't hurt terribly at a corner. Sure, he's not the most optimal solution, but he plays decent defense out in right field, and he has some pop and speed. The OBP scares me, but stranger things have happened to average-driven guys that sign with St. Louis (see also: Womack, Tony and Eckstein, David).

Man, are they gonna end up regretting that contract...

Depends on how much of it can be insured, should Burnett suffer another arm injury.

I actually think it's a pretty good deal for the Jays, who have money to burn and a need to re-establish themselves as a destination in the market. I'll gladly pay a $4 million premium to get a starter of Burnett's caliber over somebody like Loaiza, and the length of the contract could turn out to be a positive, if salaries continue to inflate over the next couple of years.

The 4/44 package that's being dangled for Millwood looks to be a worse deal, in my opinion.

I don't think the deal is bad itself, but combined with the Ryan deal, I think it is a little much. Being committed to both Ryan and Burnett for the next 5 years at a combined $21 mil/year will really hamstring them if either of them get injured/underperform. I just question giving out two high money, long term deals in the same offseason.

Finally there is an Abreu rumor that isn't vomit inducing. Prior for Abreu?