TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

2005-06 MLB Offseason Thread

All three contracts are retarded.

I'm happy for Raffy, but I'm glad the Braves didn't try to overpay for him. He's going to be a FA again at 30, and the Dodgers are again going to owe him a huge contract. For the first half of the year, Raffy was not that good.

All of our good to great prospects will be up by then so Raffy will just be let go and won't get an offer from the Dodgers.

Paul Byrd is headed to Cleveland. 2 years and a bit over $14mill with an $8mill club option for a third year. The spending thus far this offseason is ridiculous.

He should have gotten no more than 5.5 a year and the club definitely won't be picking up that option.

Unless he is asking for a ridiculous amount, I am kind of surprised they didn't put that money toward resigning Millwood.

That doesn't seem like too bad of a deal for the Indians. The market for Byrd's level of pitcher is in the $6-7 mil/yr. range (since his return from injury his ERA is around 3.85). It's not like the Mets and Blue Jays, who blew up the closer market.

Looks like the trade is Paul Lo Duca to the Mets for Gaby Hernandez and someone else. The Marlins' firesale continues and the Mets continue to throw away money while not significantly improving their team. In their pursuit of a championship, the Mets have now traded away three of their top four prospects and thrown in this year's first round pick to boot. In return, they received a reliever, a first baseman slightly better than the first base prospect they gave up for him, and the worst second half hitter in baseball.

But they are getting expensive, big names; therefore they have a commitment to winning.

I thought Mik was nuts suggesting that LoDuca being in the previous deal might have got them Milledge, but seeing them throw away their number 3 prospect, maybe he was on the right track.

Sigh.

I can't argue with a single thing Al just said, and that depresses me greatly. Even if the Mets make a run at a championship this year, they're screwed for the next few years afterwards. Maybe they're figuring that their network's going to give them tons of disposable income to throw at crusty veterans year after year.

The Mets are basically going to be the Yankees by 2007. :(

Your updated Marlins scorecard:

Going:

Beckett

Lowell

Mota

Delgado

LoDuca

Castillo

Pierre

Coming:

Hanley Ramirez

Anibal Sanchez

Jesus Delgado

Harvey Garcia

Gaby Hernandez

Yusmeiro Petit

Mike Jacobs

Grant Psomas

Travis Bowyer

Scott Tyler

Sergio Mitre

Renyel Pinto

Ricky Nolasco

Dante Brinkley

I don't think I forgot anyone, but it's possible. Plus they still have Pierre and Villone still reportedly on the move. And I would think they have to offer arb. to Burnett since they know he will get signed, bringing in 2 first rounders.

Is it safe to say they now have the best farm in baseball?

Edited by the pinjockey

Dodgers, Angels, and Marlins are at the top.

Dodgers are still stacked and the Angels have a ton of potential superstar players.

I'd say Marlins - but I'm biased.

Don't forget the Marlins will also lose A.J. Burnett, Jeff Conine, Juan Encarnacion, and Alex Gonzalez to free agency. Right now, only Juan Pierre and Miguel Cabrera are still under contract from last year's starting lineup, and Pierre's likely on his way out as well.

Sigh.

I can't argue with a single thing Al just said, and that depresses me greatly. Even if the Mets make a run at a championship this year, they're screwed for the next few years afterwards. Maybe they're figuring that their network's going to give them tons of disposable income to throw at crusty veterans year after year.

In fairness, the Mets pythagorean record was 89-73 last year. They are going to contend for a title the next couple seasons at least.

Next year's team (not totally because I can't even begin to speculate who will come in for Pierre and Villone so for the sake of this discussion, JP is still on the team)

C: Josh Willingham

1B: Mike Jacobs

2B: Robert Andino or Josh Wilson

SS: Hanley Ramirez

3B: Miguel Cabrera

LF: Joe Dillon (??)

CF: Juan Pierre

RF: Jeremy Hermida

SPs:

Dontrelle Willis

Scott Olsen

Jason Vargas

Brian Moehler

Whatever prospect is most ready

I should also mention that there is heavy talk of one or two of the pitching prospects going to Tampa Bay for Toby Hall and Joey Gathright.

Sigh.

In fairness, the Mets pythagorean record was 89-73 last year. They are going to contend for a title the next couple seasons at least.

I don't like this move because Piazza would probably be BETTER over the next two years even though he's a bit older than Lo Duca. Lo Duca's just as bad as Piazza defensively (if not worse), and Piazza's better offensively. They could've let Castro play a bit more and kept Gaby Hernandez. They basically just have Milledge, Bannister, Pelfrey (who they didn't sign yet) and Humber (who had TJ surgery) left.

Guest Smues
How is it that all the Marlins ask for in a trade to a team IN THEIR division is a PTBNL, but they ask the Yankees for Cano in return for Pierre?

Repeat customer discount?

They didn't just get a PTBNL. They got Gaby Hernandez, the Mets #3 prospect.

Edited by Mik

So now I guess A.J. Burnett now has caught the eye of the Cubs. As much trouble as they've had with their rotation in the last two years, I sure hope they don't empty the bank account on him. Their starting rotation even without Wood is better than most. Just because they lost out of Furcal doesn't mean they have to give up on the offense all together. Let's not forget what the projected outfield looks like.

Sigh. Paul Lo Duca. The Mets are doing the same thing they did in the late 90s: Trading all their prospects to the Marlins. It will probably benefit them in the short run, but they will pay for it in a few years. The media has significantly overrated LoDuca (Bill Plashcke) for "putting the bat on the ball" and the like, but as Al said he just disappears in the second half.

He's not that good. Doesn't get alot of strikeouts, isn't a control pitcher so he doesn't have a great WHIP. The overall ERA and adjusted ERA is mediocre for a middle reliever.

Local sports news guy here in town (in Dallas for the winter meetings) just said that the Hendricks brothers, agents for Roger Clemens, met with Astros management today and told them that it will be at least late January and maybe early February before Roger decides whether he will pitch in 2006 or not.

They also said the Astros decision to offer or not offer arby to him by Wednesday doesn't affect anything and that there is a possibility that Clemens will pitch in the World Baseball Classic next year but not in the majors next season.

Rick White's not a world beater. He's 37, still has some mileage left. He'll give you a league average ERA and won't hurt you much with walks. It doesn't sound like much but considering the pathetic state of both teams' bullpens, he would've been an asset last season.