TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tony manero

Bring Back The World Wrestling Federation

Guest tony manero

I think one of the main reasons why the world of wrestling, in particular WWE, isn't so palatable and engaging any more is because of the fact that it is World Wrestling Entertainment, and not the storied and legendary World Wrestling Federation.

World Wrestling Entertainment Champion. That will never, ever sound right. I know they avoid that by constantly saying the "WWE champion," but it's still downright lame and illegitimate.

In reading the Ric Flair and Shawn Michaels autobiographies, I've come to notice that both wrestlers refer to events prior to 2002 as occuring in the World Wrestling Federation; they never say WWF, always the World Wrestling Federation...

Anyway, my argument is this: Vince McMahon should go back to calling his company the World Wrestling Federation and go back to using a modern version of the block logo (no scratch variations). No announcer, interviewer or wrestler is allowed to utter the letters WWF; only the words World Wrestling Federation can be said.

Now, if you think that always referring to the brand as the World Wrestling Federation is repetitive, I'd like to take you back to several years ago, when many wrestlers -- like Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels -- would always refer to the company as the World Wrestling Federation.

Eventually, I can see the the company making the natural and eventual transition to being called the WWF, as well, without repercussions from the World Wildlife Fund.

What do you guys think?

I think one of the main reasons why the world of wrestling, in particular WWE, isn't so palatable and engaging any more is because of the fact that WWE has abysmal writing, awful acting, brings up talentless "studs" from OVW who can't do anything more basic than a full nelson, forces their wrestlers to have slow boring matches and shows their fans no respect at all.

well considering we are still in the split era, they never had to change the initials, they could have referred to the titles as raw and sd champions.

"The WWE" is a broad term right now considering there are two "seperate" brands.

anyway this wont happen n or will it have any effect on the product.

Guest tony manero
It's a horrible idea that will not have any effect on the product and will probably get them sued again

You can't get sued for not breaking any rules.

And, it will have a HUGE effect on the product. I know lots of people who thought "WWE" was so lame that their interest in the product waned irrevocably. One reason for why John Cena gets booed is because he signifies World Wrestling Entertainment.

The modus operandi of professional wrestling is to seem legitimate and galvanize the masses in such a way that the people watching it forget that it's predetermined. By telling people that what they're watching is Entertainment, it undermines the masculine brawn, virility, and viciousness that is emblematic of professional wrestling. This is none more apparent than when you're seeing two guys battle it out in the ring and then notice the word ENTERTAINMENT printed in BIG letters on the apron; it takes you out of the moment, the match, and the presentation.

Get my drift? Going back to calling the promotion World Wrestling Federation will legitimize the product -- at least from bell to bell -- and will allow fans to once again immerse themselves in a world of fiction where wrestling seems real. Like Vince McMahon said, Perception IS Reality. The wonderment of wrestling happens in those moments where you perceive wrestling to be real; and, that's how the nexus between fan and performer is engendered.

I honestly don't think it would help the company at all. A name change is the least of their problems. They should concentrate on making the product watchable again.

Besides, the product put out by WWE these days isn't wrestling is it entertainment. Crappy entertainment but it certainly is not wrestling.

I rarely ever think of the fact that it's called WWE. I still refer to it as WWF out of habit and honestly changing the name would have no effect on my life or my opinion of the overall product. I don't think you can say the WWE name is what started the crap. The horribly horribly written Invasion angle happened in the WWF days. I think it's the poor writing and (to the company's knowledge or not) their poor relationship with the fans that's hurting the product, not the name.

Losing the WWF name was the WWE's fault, period. The first post made was more or less the original conditions of the settlement before WWE got arrogant. And WWE only sounds lame because the PRODUCT is lame. If they were producing great TV, no one would care.

I never understood why they just didn't legally change their company name to "World Wrestling Federation, Entertainment" to avoid the lawsuits. They keep their old identity, but are known as something else legally. Oh well.

I never understood why they just didn't legally change their company name to "World Wrestling Federation, Entertainment" to avoid the lawsuits. They keep their old identity, but are known as something else legally. Oh well.

that was the name of the company at the time of the lawsuit, they changed from Titan sports sometime in the late 90s

As much as I hate the name WWE, I don't see how changing it back to WWF would improve anything substantial. Maybe it might improve company morale for a couple of months, but that's it.

Guest tony manero

In other news, the reason for Vince McMahon's red-faced, rancorous rage for Randy Savage is because the Macho Man had sex with a 15-year-old Stephanie McMahon back in the day. And before you say, "OMG!!! Savage is a Statutory Rapist," let me say that the age of consent in Connecticut is 15, unlike the other 49 states.

credit: wrestlingclassics message board

Guest tony manero

Here's what the renowned Gangsta Geek says about this startling revelation on the WrestlingClassics board:

"One of my favorite all-time McMahon family saga moments was when Stephanie revealled that Vince had used her as a bartering chip to get certain deals done with certain people. Maybe the Macho Man was one of them!"

Guest tony manero
We know. What does that have to do with the topic?

I meant to post it in the comments that don't need a thread thread.

OOpsy daisy.

In other news, the reason for Vince McMahon's red-faced, rancorous rage for Randy Savage is because the Macho Man had sex with a 15-year-old Stephanie McMahon back in the day.

Bullshit.

Guest tony manero

I just thought of something really cool:

If/When any of you are going to a live event soon and happen to witness Kurt Angle come down to the ring with that whole "censor gimmick" that they do on television, hold this sign up:

CENSOR THIS

wwf.gif

In other news, the reason for Vince McMahon's red-faced, rancorous rage for Randy Savage is because the Macho Man had sex with a 15-year-old Stephanie McMahon back in the day.

Bullshit.

Yeah I know. She was 14.

I think someone should go to a raw or sd taping and sit in the front or close to the front rows and wear the scratch wwf logo from head to toe,even paint it on your face, so then theyd have to have a constant blur going on the whole night from tthat camera view.

Edited by Jericholic82

I think someone should go to a raw or sd taping andf site in the front or close to the front rows and wear the scratch wwf logo from head to toe,even paint it on your face, so then theyd have to have a constant blur going on the whole night fromt ehat camera view.

They wouldn't go through all that. They'd kick you out.

Guest tony manero
I think someone should go to a raw or sd taping andf site in the front or close to the front rows and wear the scratch wwf logo from head to toe,even paint it on your face, so then theyd have to have a constant blur going on the whole night fromt ehat camera view.

And then watch 7 security guards tackle the shit out of this poor fan in 0.4 seconds.