TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The Rose Bowl Thread

2. Vince's speed will be neutralized in the NFL, because if you are putting a guy like Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher on him, he's not going to run past those guys. He tries the shit he tried yesterday, he'll wind up on IR within a month.

So Vince's speed will be neutralized in the NFL but Reggie Bush's won't? Ok.....

Some things I took away from this game:

1) I hate ESPNs coverage. First forcing USC down everyones throats and then immediately jumping on the VY bandwagon (Fuckin Corso).

2) Vince Young is unstoppable. Once he got it back for the final drive I knew it was over. He needs to go pro.

3) Lendale White can play. Did you see that stiffarm? I'd take him top 20.

4) Pete Carroll may have been outcoached by Mack Brown of all people. The 4th downs were fine but it didnt seem Bush was involved much. Why the FUCK do you take that timeout at the end?

I hope that neither VY, Bush, or Leinart end up in New Orleans. That would just suck for such a good player to end up the NFLs hellhole. Bush or Young to Texans would kick ass. I figure the Titans would love Leinart if hes available. But fuck NO.

Aside from the one TD Bush was pretty much shut down.

Huh? He averaged 6.3 yards a carry and almost 16 per catch. If anything, the fact that he only touched the ball 20 times in the whole game would indicate that USC underutilized Bush, not that Texas shut him down.

USC's offense ran all over Texas's defense. The only problem was Vince Young made USC's defense his bitch.

Reggie Bush had a great game by football standards. By Reggie Bush standards he was shut down.

2. Vince's speed will be neutralized in the NFL, because if you are putting a guy like Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher on him, he's not going to run past those guys. He tries the shit he tried yesterday, he'll wind up on IR within a month.

So Vince's speed will be neutralized in the NFL but Reggie Bush's won't? Ok.....

Reggie's will be, I didn't say that it wouldn't be. Also, Reggie Bush plays running back, not quarterback. He's actually going to get blockers out there, which won't happen unless it's a designed run for Vince, which doesn't happen in the NFL. Starting out from inside the backfield and play action passes are where Reggie's going to earn it.

Also, when there are running quarterbacks, there is such a thing as containment. Vince isn't going to be able to run up the gut like a running back will be, those plays simply aren't going to be called for him. It's not like someone's going to be handing the ball off to him or like he's going to be catching passes. The pass rush in the NFL is murderous.

He can, but what has Vick done that is so terribly impressive?

He has had a great O-Line in front of him too for his whole career, something that won't be there for Vince.

Edited by Kingofthe909

I dont know if it matters but in college VY killed Vick statistically. Also he can take hits better.

Edited by nogoodnick

Vick has made the Falcons a contender, is great for merchandising and won at Green Bay in the playoffs.

I think that it's good that he can take hits better, but his size also makes him a much bigger target. I'll also add that he has real fumble problems.

I'm not anti-Young, I just don't like that he's getting all this press after one great game against a terrible defense. College is a hell of a lot different than the pro's.

Regarding Vick, the guy has never done shit. He beat GB in the playoffs, whoop-de-doo. Matt Schaub's looked great when at QB for Atlanta, so I don't think it's all Vick making that team great. It's great O-Line play, Dunn and Duckett.

Edited by Kingofthe909

I dont know if it matters but in college VY killed Vick statistically. Also he can take hits better.

When does he get hit? He never takes shots. It seems impossible to hit the guy.

Vick's offense in college was different then the one Young is in. Young's entire college career is basically the Zone Read play, that's all Texas runs. That works fine in College but it won't work in the NFL. Teams are far too fast and smart to be fooled by it. Another thing that won't work is his "Scramble around, run to one side of the field and then throw it all the way across to the other side" thing.

Brian Urlacher and Ray Lewis aren't going to miss him, that's for certain.

I would like to mention again....why the hell were there no holding penalties or false start penalties called? I can understand that both lines were so good and nobody probably jumped but there had to have been holding. Wonder why they never called it?

Brian Urlacher and Ray Lewis aren't going to miss him, that's for certain.

And they're not going to miss Bush either.

I'm more convinced that LenDale White will be the best NFL player of these 4 that are hyped in this game.

There were no false starts called because they did not move before the snap. Anyone can see that.

There were no false starts called because they did not move before the snap. Anyone can see that.

I know I was more giving credit to two incredible lines by mentioning that but I didn't know how to work it in. But the holding calls. I know the lines aren't that great to have never held.

I've watched the game twice, and I saw one hold throughout the whole game.

You taped it? I must have that tape!!!!!!

Well I remember seeing a USC O-Lineman at one point that had a Texas defender by the throat. And I know that there was a hold during USC's first TD drive. Where did you see the hold at?

People act like Young's still playing in his sophomore form, (Run first, run second, pass occasionally to keep the defense honest.), and he's just not.

Here are Vince Young's passing stats this season:

212-365 for 3036 yards with 26 TDs and 10 INTs. That's good for 9.34 yards per attempt and a 65% completion percentage.

There's a reason that I compared him to Donovan McNabb and not to Michael Vick. Even after five years in the NFL, Vick still hasn't mastered the passing game, but Young's got it down now. I mean he was second in the nation in passing efficiency, ahead of that Leinart fellow who's got Smith, Jarrett, and Bush to throw to.

Even if he only runs 5 or 6 plays a game for 50 yards or so, his arm's what's going to carry a team to victory. (And don't say he won't be able to run for 50 yards, Vick goes into triple digits all the time whn he's not worried about getting hurt.)

It's the reputation of the student body as a whole passing down onto the football team.

Which, as some people seem to forget, are also part of aforementioned student body.

Only nominally.

Do you personally know every college football player in the nation? Do you keep track of their attendance, sexual lives, living conditions, and financial books to the letter? Shut the fuck up with this bullshit argument already. It's full of holes and has had virtually zero credibility since the 80s when the kind of crap you keep trying to make up last took place. You say on a regular basis that you don't respect college football anyway and seem to come into these threads just to deride the sport and jump right back out. If you're so fucking bitter about your peers who happen to be athletic, hit the gym and do something about it. There's plenty to pick apart in the college game without making up a bunch of bullshit because you happen to be loaded down with stereotypes, stereotypes which look like they've arisen because the smart kid can't stand the strong kid getting more attention. They got into college, they met the same standards every other student has to meet, and have to continue to do so or else they aren't allowed to play. Maybe you're just pissed that people with nothing can get an education thanks to their phyical merits and, while completely ignoring that they're getting an education in the first place, would rather bitch and moan about the all the riff-raff allowed into our learning institutions using the cover of sports.

I've watched the game twice, and I saw one hold throughout the whole game.

You taped it? I must have that tape!!!!!!

Well I remember seeing a USC O-Lineman at one point that had a Texas defender by the throat. And I know that there was a hold during USC's first TD drive. Where did you see the hold at?

It was in the 1st quarter, I forget when. My buddy at Oregon taped it, I watched it with him earlier, as he's home for the week.

212-365 for 3036 yards with 26 TDs and 10 INTs. That's good for 9.34 yards per attempt and a 65% completion percentage.

Those stats are in the spread offense. Realistically, all of us have no idea how he's going to translate to the pro game, this is all just speculation. He's a unique player.

Edited by Kingofthe909

Dama, they're replaying all of the BCS bowls this weekend on ESPN Classic.

... I'm still not convinced that Dama isn't just an overenthusiastic seven year old.

Dama, they're replaying all of the BCS bowls this weekend on ESPN Classic.

... I'm still not convinced that Dama isn't just an overenthusiastic seven year old.

I don't have ESPN Classic.....damn.

No I just really love sports.

It's the reputation of the student body as a whole passing down onto the football team.

Which, as some people seem to forget, are also part of aforementioned student body.

Only nominally.

Do you personally know every college football player in the nation? Do you keep track of their attendance, sexual lives, living conditions, and financial books to the letter? Shut the fuck up with this bullshit argument already. It's full of holes and has had virtually zero credibility since the 80s when the kind of crap you keep trying to make up last took place. You say on a regular basis that you don't respect college football anyway and seem to come into these threads just to deride the sport and jump right back out. If you're so fucking bitter about your peers who happen to be athletic, hit the gym and do something about it. There's plenty to pick apart in the college game without making up a bunch of bullshit because you happen to be loaded down with stereotypes, stereotypes which look like they've arisen because the smart kid can't stand the strong kid getting more attention. They got into college, they met the same standards every other student has to meet, and have to continue to do so or else they aren't allowed to play. Maybe you're just pissed that people with nothing can get an education thanks to their phyical merits and, while completely ignoring that they're getting an education in the first place, would rather bitch and moan about the all the riff-raff allowed into our learning institutions using the cover of sports.

Of course there are true student-athletes, but you're nuts if you don't think there are people who have carte blanche within the school because they can throw a ball, or collide into people. Why are you bending over backwards to apologize for them?

Mack Brown and outcoach don't really belong in the same sentence. Carroll coached fine outside of going for it on 4th down early in the game.