TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The Rose Bowl Thread

Wow.

Now i'm just hoping Vince Young makes it to number 4, if not, the Jets must trade up.

That was the best college football game i've ever seen..then again, I don't watch many.

There ya go people that were getting onto me. Some guy just called into the local sports radio station going on about how he was a "true OU fan" and he didn't even watch the game b/c neither outcome was desirable to him and he somehow wanted both teams to look bad.

However someone else called in and said that he was in a bar in Norman and that everyone at the bar was wearing OU stuff and rooting for Texas and flashing the hook em' horns sign. A sportscaster said he was in Bricktown(downtown OKC) and said that everyone was wearing OU stuff and flashing the hook em horns sign.

So it wasn't just me. OU fans really dislike USC after last season apparently. With good reason. It was damned embarassing. Now Texas winning doesn't exactly take the embrassment off of what we did last season but it helps to know that USC lost.

Plus OU's got a ton of tradition. We've got two back to back national title seasons(55, 56 and 74, 75) plus the 47 game winning streak. And one theory is that OU felt that USC was threatening that tradition with the winning streak and the three peat. Then again they do have more national titles than us so part of that doesn't make sense.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...=simmons/060105

This is a pretty damn funny article.

9:03 -- One more question: Has there ever been a national championship up for grabs between two schools that had hotter female fan bases? ABC could pan anywhere in the crowd right now and hit the proverbial jackpot. I need to start watching more college football. Seriously. Remind me next year.
Tis true!

Man I don't know about you guys local media but everyone is crucifying Carroll around here for some of his decisions.

I think the main reason I liked seeing Leinart go down was to see how many celebrities cried and then cut him off of their party lists.

Guest Vitamin X

Forgive my ignorance, but does any college football team have more than two championships in a row, or is it like the NFL and Super Bowls where noone's done the threepeat before?

I think it's stupid too Hockey Fan. It proves how this society is a "what have you done for me lately?" society. I mean everyone acted as if the 55-19 route of OU last year totally destroyed their history. So Pete Carroll's team loses last night and everyone forgets about his past two years of coaching.

I still wonder how many party invites Matt Leinart lost last night....

Was I the only one shaking towards the end of the game?

I almost puked when Texas went down 12. I was in the bathroom heaving but nothing came up.

Forgive my ignorance, but does any college football team have more than two championships in a row, or is it like the NFL and Super Bowls where noone's done the threepeat before?

No one has 3peated in either college or pro football

No one has had a three-peat in the Super Bowl but the Packers did three-peat as NFL Champions from '65 to '67 (also did from '29 to '31 but that was before there was a title game).

Well college teams three peated before there was an AP National Title. But that doesn't really count I guess....unless they want to count those toward their national title total.

Pete Carroll talking about the 4th and 2 saying "It didn't matter where they started! We couldn't stop him!" Why did they have so much trouble tackling him? Was it Young or bad defense?

More from that article:

12:26 -- In his postgame interview with Holly, Matt Leinart throws out a classic, "I think we're a better football team, they just made the plays in the end," backhanded compliment before heading to the Roosevelt Hotel's pool bar with Nick Lachey. You're right, we shouldn't have played the game, Matt. That was stupid. You guys were better.

And....

1. Not only is Vince Young the best player in college football, his Rose Bowl performance following the Heisman Trophy ceremony ranked at least an 8.3 on the Vengeance Scale. It's nice to see an athlete back up his own words, isn't it?

Vengeance.

Dama, why would you care THAT much about whether Texas won or lost? I mean puking? That'd be like me vomiting at seeing USF get down 14 to NC St. since they kicked the crap out of U of L this year. Different mentality I guess...in Louisville (and really KY in general) we don't care intensely about football.

Dama, why would you care THAT much about whether Texas won or lost? I mean puking? That'd be like me vomiting at seeing USF get down 14 to NC St. since they kicked the crap out of U of L this year. Different mentality I guess...in Louisville (and really KY in general) we don't care intensely about football.

It was more caring rather USC won or lost. I wanted USC to lose so bad.

This guy on the sports radio said that Jackson was bad last night(true!) but he also said that Jackson wanted USC to win so badly that it wasn't even funny....I didn't get that from him though.

Plaschke turns on USC.

Fuck you, Bill Plaschke.

You guys need to watch ATH. Mariotti has already said that Leinart was "shaky all game long", while Bush was "shut down by the Taexas defense". The Tribune needs to revoke his pen and paper.

It was more caring rather USC won or lost. I wanted USC to lose so bad.

This guy on the sports radio said that Jackson was bad last night(true!) but he also said that Jackson wanted USC to win so badly that it wasn't even funny....I didn't get that from him though.

Jackson was a breath of fresh air compared to that asshole Brent Musburger. He actually knows when to shut up, and when to speak. He's not the same Keith Jackson, but he's still one of the best CFB announcers. So this asshole, doing a third rate radio show can go fuck himself.

Plaschke turns on USC.

Fuck you, Bill Plaschke.

You guys need to be watch ATH. Mariotti has already said that Leinart was "shaky all game long", while Bush was "shut down by the Taexas defense". The Tribune needs to revoke his pen and paper.

Aside from the one TD Bush was pretty much shut down.

Guest Smues
Plaschke turns on USC.

Fuck you, Bill Plaschke.

You guys need to be watch ATH. Mariotti has already said that Leinart was "shaky all game long", while Bush was "shut down by the Taexas defense". The Tribune needs to revoke his pen and paper.

Woody Paige: "You need to give credit to Texas. We all gave credit to USC the last two years, now it's your turn"

Bill Plasche: : (shaking his head) "Texas not only didn't win the game, but" blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Have I mentioned how much I fucking hate Bill Plasche?

And I do not think that Jackson was on USC's side and hoping for them to win. He appeared to have wood for Vince Young. That's two years in a row that he has popped a boner for Vince Young.

Vince Young......best player in college football? Most dominant player in college football?

Guest Smues

More Plasche fun as he just said vince young won't be a top 5 draft pick. Does anyone seriously believe that? If he played for a California team Plasche would be saying he's a lock for #1.

I would like to see the movie star reaction to the USC loss just like how some of them mysteriously disappeared from the Lakers when they lost to Detroit.

I bet if UCLA turns out to be better than USC next season we see all the movie stars running around in UCLA gear.

More Plasche fun as he just said vince young won't be a top 5 draft pick. Does anyone seriously believe that? If he played for a California team Plasche would be saying he's a lock for #1.

He would be right if he said that Vince shouldn't be a top 5 pick. He's not a great NFL prospect.

Great college player doesn't mean you'll be great in the NFL and there are plenty of examples.

If Vince Young isn't a Top 5 draft pick (assuming he comes out this year), I'll fly to Los Angeles and suck Bill Plaschke's cock myself.

If I were the Jets GM, I'd be doing everything I could to trade up and get Vince Young with the top pick. He's like Donovan McNabb if he got better under pressure instead of worse, and had just a little more raw talent.

The Texans don't really need a QB, so they can just trade down as far as they can safely go and still get Lutusi, while I can see the Saints taking Bush in the #2 spot. I'm sure Leinart will go way higher than his talent justifies, but if you go on the Orange Bowl last year and the Rose Bowl this year, maybe he'll do all right.

He's gonna get picked in the top 5, but I believe he should not be. Vince isn't a great prospect for these reasons, and I've got more to add from earlier.

1. In the NFL, offenses do not run the zone read play, and if they did, it wouldn't work.

2. Vince's speed will be neutralized in the NFL, because if you are putting a guy like Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher on him, he's not going to run past those guys. He tries the shit he tried yesterday, he'll wind up on IR within a month.

3. Cornerbacks are not easily shaken off by these great moves that Vince possesses, and defensive ends do not break containment in the NFL, which leads to 2-3 yard runs out of bounds, not these 20-30 yard runs.

4. The hash marks in college football keep defenses more towards one side of the field, which easily allows Vince to run to one side as he did on the last play of the game, and cut back and use his speed and power to run around and over smaller players. NFL defenses do not break contain.

5. Vince has a very hard time making reads, he'll need a great offensive mind to try to teach him how to do so. His across the body passes will become interceptions.