TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

2005-06 MLB Offseason Thread

Tony Graffanino is apparently going to accept the Red Sox arbitration offer. I'm surprised the Cardinals didn't show interest in him as he would have fit their team very well.

I ain't complaining. Great insurance policy for Loretta and perhaps a small piece of trade bait if Loretta is healthy.

Well somebody is going to get traded. Right now they have Loretta, Graffanino, and Alex Cora. I would think Graff gets traded as Cora can play SS and right now he would be the starting SS.

I wouldn't be surprised however if they traded Lorretta to upgrade at SS or should Damon not resign, bring in a CF. He would have the most value out of the three.

Texas-SD deal:

Texas gets: Adam Eaton, Akinori Otsuka, minor leaguer

SD gets: Chris Young, Adrian Gonzalez, Termel Sledge

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2266394

I don't quite get this deal for Texas. Eaton is going to be much more expensive than Chris Young, but not an upgrade in production (possibly a sizable downgrade taking the parks into account). I like Otsuka, but I think Gonzalez, Sledge and the Eaton-Young money difference is too pricey there.

Edited by the pinjockey

I agree. This is not quite a good deal for Texas. It doesn't hurt them too much though. Adrian Gonzalez was blocked, and Terrmel Sledge is an average player. What really makes it odd is Chris Young for Adam Eaton. Eaton had a 4.27 ERA compared to 4.26 for Young. That's before you make any park adjustments. Adam Eaton hasn't posted an above average ERA since his rookie season.

Good job for the Padres for turning Eaton's winning streak into a better pitcher. Adrian Gonzalez is a great young hitter who demolished AAA, and he gives the team a fine young hitter. Losing Otsuka may hurt, but a good first baseman is better than a good reliever.

Terrible trade for Texas. They could have gotten alot more for Adrian Gonzales.

There's been no news at all on Jeff Weaver. With the amount SPs are getting this off-season he may come across as a fairly good bargain for some team.

Some relievers that seem to be flying under the radar too are...

Shigetoshi Hasegawa

Kerry Ligtenberg

Scott Sullivan

Jim Mecir

I wouldn't mind seeing Jim Mecir on the Red Sox. There are no good left-handed relievers left on the market, yet he gets lefties out pretty well thanks to that Screwball of his.

At this point most teams are likely holding off until after midnight to see who gets non-tendered. No need signing the lower tier players when the market might get restocked tonight.

And if Branyan gets non-tendered, Gillick needs to be on the phone with his agent at 12:01.

There's a rumor that the Padres may now flip Gonzalez to the Red Sox for David Wells.

There's been no news at all on Jeff Weaver. With the amount SPs are getting this off-season he may come across as a fairly good bargain for some team.

Weaver's agent is Scott Boras. Boras knows the market, and he's going to squeeze every penny. Remember Kevin Millwood, another Boras client, hasn't signed either.

Some relievers that seem to be flying under the radar too are...

Shigetoshi Hasegawa

Kerry Ligtenberg

Scott Sullivan

Jim Mecir

I wouldn't mind seeing Jim Mecir on the Red Sox. There are no good left-handed relievers left on the market, yet he gets lefties out pretty well thanks to that Screwball of his.

Mecir retired. Don't feel bad, Rob Neyer made the same mistake. Hasegawa received some poor reviews for his performance this season. He's a finesse pitcher and I don't think he has much left. Ligtenberg has performed poorly in the Majors the last two years, but he did strike out a batter an inning at AAA Tucson. He's worth an NRI. And Scott Sullivan missed all but two innings in the minors due to injury.

There's a rumor that the Padres may now flip Gonzalez to the Red Sox for David Wells.

If that's true then the Red Sox have to pull the trigger NOW

Guest Gathering Moss

The Cubs have apparently signed Jacque Jones to a three year dear worth 16 million. Since the outfield is now set with Murton, Pierre, and Jones, what will become of poor old Corey Patterson?

I thought the Cubs wanted players who get on base?

No, they have a fixation on guys who are perceived to be better than they really are. Signing him isn't the end of the world, but I'm less crazy about the idea of having him around for three years. Cubs will really get nothing for Patterson if they try to dump him now.

Honestly, is Jacque Jones that much better than Corey Patterson?

Well, his OBP actually breaks .300. Other than that, who knows. I wonder how his numbers will be affected by the move from the Metrodome to Wrigley.

Do the Cubs have any middle infielders right now besides Neifi Perez?

Neifi can play short and second at the same time. Ask Dusty. We still have Walker, don't we?

Honestly, is Jacque Jones that much better than Corey Patterson?

Well, Jones at least has a career OBP higher than .300, something which Patterson cannot claim to have.

Some players have already been non-tendered

RHP Wade Miller

RHP Chad Bradford (kinda surprising)

RHP Ramon Ortiz

RHP Dewon Brazelton

Devil Rays also designated RHP Joe Borowski for assignment

Jacque Jones is definately an upgrade. He's got seven seasons of league average production under his belt. For a team that had the league's worst outfield, that's a tremendous benefit. The only question is whether Jones was the best option at right field. He's not the worst. As for park factors, Wrigley and the Metrodome come out about even for lefties.

Oddly, the Cubs tendered Corey Patterson. If they don't trade him, he might make a reasonable fifth outfielder, since he's still a decent glove man.

Patterson's a real Catch 22. I don't want to see him regulated to being a deep bench player this early in his career, but at the same time, don't want him to go elsewhere and become the star everyone's been waiting for.

Is Dotel going to be ready to pitch by the start of the year, or what? I like this signing, over who I thought was going to be Julian Tavarez. Phew.