TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

2005-06 MLB Offseason Thread

It's going to be bizarre seeing Damon in pinstripes. How clean cut do you guys think Damon will have to be to meet Yankee standards?

I'm still not sure what I think about this. He's 32, hes never been injury prone, but hes always playing hurt. He has no arm, but pretty good range in center. He'll be 36 at the end of this deal. Hmm.

Edited by mike546

NEW YORK (AP) -- The Yankees grabbed center fielder Johnny Damon away from the rival Red Sox, reaching a preliminary agreement Tuesday night on a $52 million, four-year contract.

Details of the deal were still being negotiated and Damon must pass a physical, a baseball official said on condition of anonymity because negotiations were not yet final.

From Yankees.com

I'm not liking this deal.

Yankees lose two draft picks though. What happened to rebuilding the farm system?

They lose one draft pick. The other is a supplemental pick that occurs between rounds one and two. In any case, it is only harmful if that draft pick would've become better than Johnny Damon.

This is like Hogan joining the NWO at Bash at the Beach 1996. An over-the-hill superstar unexpectedly joins the rival organization and completely changes his appearance. Where's the garbage throwing?

Jesus Christ went Judas on the Red Sox.

Here's an ugly stat. Johnny Damon has hit .252/.301/.346 in 66 career games at Yankee Stadium. I'm not sure how much stock to put in that, since a lot of the equation comes from good Yankee pitching.

He batted .167 in 18 ABs against Lieber, .250 in 44 ABs against Pettite, .241 in 87 ABs against Mussina, and a .118 average against RJ last year. I'd think its a coincidence, especailly for the fact he hits the ball to the opposite field a lot with the huge gaps at the Stadium.

THANK GOD the Red Sox did not match that offer. $13mill a year for a CF with absolutely no arm and his Zone Rating has been going down for 4 straight years now. Granted he had a good Range Factor last season but his Fielding Percentage has also been going downhill for the past few years.

His comments when asked "Do you have any parting words for Red Sox fans?" was "Oh well, I tried. The Yankees got the best leadoff hitter in the game now and I'm going to go help them win their first World Series title since they had another good leadoff hitter; Chuck Knoblauch".

This doesn't help the Yankees OF defense at all in my opinion. They just keep stacking their line-up and ignore the need to add quality pitching and defense.

Where is this quality pitching coming from? Please, I'd like to know.

Damon can catch the ball. The Yankees won 95 games with Bernie Williams and his pathetic fielding in CF. Damon has a lot more range than Bernie Williams.

With Damon AND Jeter at the top of the lineup, they are going to score a shitload of runs.

His comments when asked "Do you have any parting words for Red Sox fans?" was "Oh well, I tried. The Yankees got the best leadoff hitter in the game now and I'm going to go help them win their first World Series title since they had another good leadoff hitter; Chuck Knoblauch".

:asshole2:

He won't be able to play a competitive CF after 07. Everybody hated on Bernie's defense, watch Damon's in the next couple years. Carl Crawford scored from second base on a fly out to Damon this past season.

The Yankees scored a "shitload" of runs last season and so did the Red Sox. Neither team won because they didn't have the pitching.

Another reason Damon left apparently is because the Red Sox weren't going to keep Kevin Millar. I hope that means Millar will be following Damon to NY.

He won't be able to play a competitive CF after 07. Everybody hated on Bernie's defense, watch Damon's in the next couple years. Carl Crawford scored from second base on a fly out to Damon this past season.

The Yankees scored a "shitload" of runs last season and so did the Red Sox. Neither team won because they didn't have the pitching.

Another reason Damon left apparently is because the Red Sox weren't going to keep Kevin Millar. I hope that means Millar will be following Damon to NY.

If the Yankees win a WS in 06 and/or 07, I doubt Yankee fans will care that much hes the next Bernie Williams in 08.

Buster Olney is saying the Red Sox are going to take the Damon money and focus on giving it to Millwood. If that happens then the rotation would look something like...

Schilling

Beckett

Millwood

Papelbon

Wakefield

with David Wells and Clement most likely being dealt. Red Sox can get a CF via trade with those two players.