TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

2005-06 MLB Offseason Thread

I don't want Wilson. Guy seems like he'd be trying to hit for the fences every at-bat.

We already have that player, and are trying to rid ourselves of him (I hope), so why Wilson? Maybe Walker could move to right, Hairston to second. Walker's played the outfield before.

I don't want Wilson. Guy seems like he'd be trying to hit for the fences every at-bat.

We already have that player, and are trying to rid ourselves of him (I hope), so why Wilson? Maybe Walker could move to right, Hairston to second. Walker's played the outfield before.

Why do it that way and not Hairston in the outfield, Walker at second? Walker's entire outfield experience consists of two innings in a single game last season.

As an aside, I honestly think the Phils should take a phlier on Kevin Brown. His peripherals were not bad, but his hit rate was astronomical. That's bound to come down. His opponents' isolated power did not rise, so it is not like he was getting crushed. Just lots of hits. Brown's an extreme groundball pitcher, ideal for a good home run park. For the right price, he could be a steal.

Well hose two GM's the sox hired are two of the 4 they had at the winter meetings. Both worked under Theo Epstein.

Edited by Cartman

I still believe Matt Murton has the potential to be a 30/30 guy in a few years. How I wish the Cubs would have taken David Murphy instead.

If Murton stole two in 51 games, there's no way he's taking 30 bases in a season. 20/20 is more realistic, but even then may be a stretch.

As an aside, I honestly think the Phils should take a phlier on Kevin Brown. His peripherals were not bad, but his hit rate was astronomical. That's bound to come down. His opponents' isolated power did not rise, so it is not like he was getting crushed. Just lots of hits. Brown's an extreme groundball pitcher, ideal for a good home run park. For the right price, he could be a steal.

the right price being what, league minimum?

Brown was an extreme groundball pitcher, but I would have serious doubts about him getting back to that form. With his back as screwed up as it is, he couldn't bend enough to keep his pitches down, everything hung, he gave up a lot of smashed ground ball and line drive hits. The best hope with him is finding a miracle cure for his back. Whatever team signs him should force him to try Yoga, among other things....

the right price being what, league minimum?

Brown was an extreme groundball pitcher, but I would have serious doubts about him getting back to that form. With his back as screwed up as it is, he couldn't bend enough to keep his pitches down, everything hung, he gave up a lot of smashed ground ball and line drive hits. The best hope with him is finding a miracle cure for his back. Whatever team signs him should force him to try Yoga, among other things....

Brown's groundball ratios over the last four years are high, but not as high as during his prime. As for a price, I couldn't answer without knowing how a physical turned out.

I still believe Matt Murton has the potential to be a 30/30 guy in a few years. How I wish the Cubs would have taken David Murphy instead.

If Murton stole two in 51 games, there's no way he's taking 30 bases in a season. 20/20 is more realistic, but even then may be a stretch.

Give him time, man. I watched him in the Cape League and he's an incredible player. I was shocked to shit that he was there for the Red Sox to draft and I felt pretty bummed when he was dealt along with Nomar. Not that I cared to see Nomar go, but you think at the time he would have been enough to get that whole deal done.

Why do it that way and not Hairston in the outfield, Walker at second? Walker's entire outfield experience consists of two innings in a single game last season.

Gee, I didn't think of that. thanks al

Give him time, man. I watched him in the Cape League and he's an incredible player. I was shocked to shit that he was there for the Red Sox to draft and I felt pretty bummed when he was dealt along with Nomar. Not that I cared to see Nomar go, but you think at the time he would have been enough to get that whole deal done.

Pardon my ignorance on this, but is the Cape League the Cape Cod League, or something else?

The Tampa Bay Devil Rays earned the right to negotiate with Japanese reliever Shinji Mori. If Mori signs, this could be a very good acquisition. Mori has been a strikeout machine in Japan.

Edited by EVIL~! alkeiper

Pardon my ignorance on this, but is the Cape League the Cape Cod League, or something else?

Yes. Its miles ahead of the Arizona Fall League and other places in terms of competition. Most of your first round picks will have played in the Cape League right before being drafted. He was the 2002 Cape League MVP and also won their Home Run Derby showing that he does have the potential to be a future homerun threat.

It sounds strange to say it, but Nomar could make one hell of a utility guy for the Yankees. He could handle first, then spot at 3B or SS, maybe even corner outfield, if the Yankees were feeling brave.

Thinking that Kevin Brown could be a steal or could have some sort of a bounce back season is REALLY reaching. Have you considered whatsoever his age, rapidly declining skills, and horrible health/back/elbow whatever problems. Fuck the microanalyzing and all the stats and adjusted numbers and whatnot, the guy can't tie his shoes anymore.

Guest NYChris

I don't think Al watched a Kevin Brown start all of last year. Any news on where Piazza, Frank Thomas are going to end up????

Brown's groundball ratios over the last four years are high, but not as high as during his prime. As for a price, I couldn't answer without knowing how a physical turned out

And there's the rub. Brown probably isn't passing a physical, what with his back resembling something out of an Escher painting.

Getting two useful players for one prospect is quite the shocker. Andre Ethier had a breakout year at Double-A but it was also kind of unexpected so who knows if it was a fluke. It'll be interesting to see where all this goes since they were still considered the favorite to sign Frank Thomas.

Getting two useful players for one prospect is quite the shocker. Andre Ethier had a breakout year at Double-A but it was also kind of unexpected so who knows if it was a fluke. It'll be interesting to see where all this goes since they were still considered the favorite to sign Frank Thomas.

Not entirely unexpected. Here's John Sickels' assessment before the season...

"The only main flaw right now is a lack of home run power. He has a level swing and may never hit many taters, making him a tweener who could find it difficult to force his way into an outfield spot. His OPS was a positive at +7 percent last year, limited to that level by the relative lack of power. I think he has untapped potential, so watch him at Double-A."

'CSN reports that the LA Times rumor is David Bell to Dodgers for Duaner Sanchez and prospects and reconfirms the Looper rumors. Also rumors that the Pirates are interested in Bell."

If this happens, I may need to make a "Gillick Is My Homeboy" shirt.

The Os turned down 5/60 for Millwood, so they wont get him.

The only bad thing about Millwood is Boras. I dont know if there are any other teams desperate enough to overpay that much for him, so maybe that offer comes down..

Guest NYChris

Isn't Millwood the same player who has pitched one year deals the past several because he couldn't get a long term deal????

With Bradley going to the a's, the Kotsay to NY trade rumors have started up again. Don't be an ass Beane, take Henn and Proctor and we'll take Kotsay. Last time we tried this, I think he asked for Duncan, Hughes and Wang.