TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

2005-06 MLB Offseason Thread

The Nationals signed manager Frank Robinson for another year. I think Robinson may be the most overrated manager in the bigs, Dusty Baker included. With 15 years of managing under his belt, Robinson has yet to reach the playoffs.

Here's the top five in managerial wins without a first place finish.

1. Jimmie Dykes

2. Robinson

3. Paul Richards

4. Birdie Tebbetts

5. Jimmy McAleer

Edited by alkeiper

Cardinals sign Braden Looper to a 3 year deal. Looper's K rate is pathetic but I could see him having a big bounce back year because of the Card's excellent defense.

Looper's Career Splits (from ESPN.com):

vs. LHB: .307/.356/.466, 58 K, 34 BB

vs. RHB: .231/.289/.287, 85 K, 33 BB

Looper shouldn't even be allowed in the park whenever a left-handed batter is at the plate. For this, the Cards gave Looper $13.5 million a year over three years, following a year in which he spent the tail-end of the season pitching through an arm ailment. Two months ago, while the Cardinals were struggling to score against the Astros in the playoffs, Looper was having corrective surgery to clean out the AC joint in his right arm.

Dave Duncan will probably find a way to wring a 3.00-ish ERA out of Looper, but that doesn't really justify the Cardinals falling in line with the rest of the clubs in doling out insane money for middle relief, especially considering that the money for this contract could have been offered to Mark Grudzielanek or any other free agent on the market that could fill the glaring holes in the Cardinals defense. The Post-Dispatch should make for a great read tomorrow.

If the rumors that Taverez is looking for 4 years and that the Mets might give it to him are true; I don't see Gillick looking at him at all.

At this point bring up Cole Hamels and let him fill the Ryan Madson role. Maybe a move to relief and the ability to train and rehab with the big league club/facilities every day can keep him healthy. The rumblings that his back will likely be a career long problem have to make the idea he can be a starter questionable.

Bako is one year 700k, Elarton signed a two year deal, Grudz signed a one year deal with a club option for 07, and I can't find anything on Mienkpdfsigodfgbn other than the fact he did sign with KC.

They're a whole lot better defensively now at the very least.

Bako is one year 700k, Elarton signed a two year deal, Grudz signed a one year deal with a club option for 07, and I can't find anything on Mienkpdfsigodfgbn other than the fact he did sign with KC.

They're a whole lot better defensively now at the very least.

I'm not sure this makes make tremendously better defensively either. Mientkiewicz is an upgrade at first. Grudzielanek is probably better at second, I don't have references handy. But Mientkiewicz moves Matt Stairs back to the outfield, and that's a step down.

I can't criticize these moves. Except for second base, these guys aren't blocking anyone. The Royals may have something in either Ruben Gotay or Donnie Murphy, but a short term plug to give these guys AAA time is likely beneficial. What's sad is that if Scott Elarton maintains his 4.61 ERA, he becomes the staff ace.

So the Red Sox apparently have lost their collective minds if this "rumor" is true at all.

Cleveland gets:

Andy Marte (3B)

G. Mota (MR)

Boston Gets:

Coco fucking Crisp (OF)

*barf*

I don't see that trade happening. Crisp would be awesome in CF but with the way the bullpen was last year you can't give up Mota. I also wouldn't be too keen on them getting rid of Marte either.

Cleveland has shown interest in Bronson Arroyo apparently. Package him with somebody.

I don't see that trade happening. Crisp would be awesome in CF but with the way the bullpen was last year you can't give up Mota. I also wouldn't be too keen on them getting rid of Marte either.

Cleveland has shown interest in Bronson Arroyo apparently. Package him with somebody.

Why the overwhelming concern about a pitcher who's never succeeded outside of Dodger Stadium?

Grudzielanek is probably better at second, I don't have references handy.

Grudzielanek has traditionally had strong UZRs, so I'd consider him an upgrade.

But Mientkiewicz moves Matt Stairs back to the outfield, and that's a step down.

So, this would make the outfield Stairs, David DeJesus, and Emil Brown? Yeeesh. DeJesus can certainly cover some ground, but heaven help the Royals if he gets injured again.

What's sad is that if Scott Elarton maintains his 4.61 ERA, he becomes the staff ace.

No faith left in Greinke, eh? Not that it's really an envious title, considering that the rotation is in tatters.

Greinke, Redman, Elarton, Runelvys Hernandez, Mike Wood, and Elmer Dessens to all battle for spots in the KC rotation. Royals fans are going to have one hell of a spring training watching how that competition goes!

You know, I don't mind A-Rod, but hes not helping himself toward the people who think he's a fake and just trying to be publicly cool and perfect. Disrespecting the US? just play you dumbass.

He should have played for la Republica Dominicana.

SS: Tejada

3B: A-Rod

1B: Pujols

RF: Guerrero

LF: Ramirez

DH: Ortiz

2B: Cano

The rest doesn't matter.

Guest OSIcon

You would put Cano at second over Soriano? I believe that Soriano is overrated, but I still don't see how you could have Cano be the startinf second basemen for the Dominican Republic.

I'd probably put Ronnie Belliard in as the starter at second over Cano. Nothing against Cano, but there are other options for that team that I think are better than Cano.

You would put Cano at second over Soriano? I believe that Soriano is overrated, but I still don't see how you could have Cano be the startinf second basemen for the Dominican Republic.

I'd probably put Ronnie Belliard in as the starter at second over Cano. Nothing against Cano, but there are other options for that team that I think are better than Cano.

You win the How Many Times Can I Say Cano award.

I was actually going to send a trade proposal to them but never did. My idea was...

Houston gets Manny Ramirez

Boston gets Brad Lidge, Adam Everett, and Jeff Bagwell. Houston agrees to pay $2mill of Bagwell's buyout in 07 if option is not picked up.

I think its a fair deal for both sides.

I would never do that if I was a Sox fan, even with Lidge. The Sox lineup would be (saying they don't resign Damon)

2B Mark Loretta

1B Kevin Youkilis

DH Jeff Bagewell

LF ???

C Jason Varitek

RF Trot Nixon

3B Mike Lowell

SS ???

CF ???

Really not that scary, and Ortiz would be wal'd like crazy.

Edited by mike546

I was actually going to send a trade proposal to them but never did. My idea was...

Houston gets Manny Ramirez

Boston gets Brad Lidge, Adam Everett, and Jeff Bagwell. Houston agrees to pay $2mill of Bagwell's buyout in 07 if option is not picked up.

I think its a fair deal for both sides.

Why would they want Bagwell? He's making 18 million dollars next year, isn't he? Even if you pay 2 million, that's still 16 million for a glorified back-up first baseman.