TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
the max

NHL 06

NHL: EHM 2006 is by far the best hockey game ever, hands down. Sure, the game's aren 't actually playable per se, but depthwise, etc. the game totally rules. If you like hockey and sport management sims, get this game.

I've looked everywhere for that game. I refuse to buy stuff online, so I can't find it in person.

Why do you refuse to buy stuff online? It's secure if thats what you are worried about. Anyone have any more info on that hockey sim? I found a site that had minor details and a few screenshots and it looks really impressive.

I refuse to buy games online because they have been defective when I've recieved them in the past.

Which merchant did you order from? Most companies will refund upon receiving the damaged merchandise, issue credit and send you another copy.

I bought from EB. I got another copy of what I had purchased, I just don't find it to be worth the hassle. I'll find the game before the end of the week.

Another question, this one related to potential.

If I have a young guy with high potential, but he's not quite ready to be on my team, (Meaning I could put him on a non-scoring line, but he's not quite tough enough, and he's not yet ready to be put on a major scoring line), would it be better to put him in the minors or let him "pay his dues"?

Would he get better faster playing in a limited role on my NHL team, or just let him frolic in the minors for a season?

Give him a limited role on the third of forth line.

I find that if a player has a rating in the 50's or even low 60's with a potential in the 90's that letting them sit on the bench the whole season really hampers their development. It would be best to play that player, even over a better rated fourth liner just so he gets some ice time and can improve. Also make sure those stupid stat thingies you can buy are set for the one that raises max potential and he should develop in no time.

It depends on your minor league coaching upgrade. I have three stars in that update, and most of my draft picks have gone from 55-60 overall to 75+ overall in one or two years. Some guys went on my fourth line immediately to save money, but they're in the same boat as the guys that I kept in the minors. So, I guess it's the same. It makes sense though, since my fourth line doesn't see too much time. I only use them if I've killed off a series of penalties and my top three lines are drained.

In regards to EHM:NHL 2006 the place to get it is www.sigames.com. SI Games originally created a little soccer sim called Championship Manager. I just bought the Digital Download version, so if you don't have an issue with that, it is the way to go.

By far the best hockey game ever. I haven't even attempted the NHL yet (which has full salary cap implementation), I'm so involved with my franchise in the Western Hockey League. Junior hockey is so fun because there is such a quick turnaround on players that you're not waiting forever for picks to develop and such. Difficult to capture Memorial Cups though.

In regards to EHM:NHL 2006 the place to get it is www.sigames.com.

Thanks. I actually found it a few days ago after doing some more searches. I downloaded the try and buy version and am about 3 months in controlling the Blackhawks. The game is very detailed. I will probably buy it once the trial runs out though on the forums they are talking about releasing another version so I might just wait until then and try playing the minors and whatnot.

Well, played my first franchise game as the Pens after tweaking my lines. Lost to NJ 4-2. Was tied late in the third then my players quit.

Oh well, there's 81 more games to go.

I hear ya. However, NJ is nothing. If you don't have speed watch out for when you finally have to play Tampa b/c I haven't been able to beat them yet and the last game I played them in was an utter embarassment.

Tampa smoked me the first time I played them in Dynasty. Something like 10-1. I got an email from the owner after that telling me that that'd better not happen again.

The toughest team in NHL06 is Ottawa by far. That's really no surprise, but I have to play them eight times in the regular season and have played them in the conference finals three years running. Just when you think you have the game wrapped up, they tie it with two goals in :11 or something.

In regards to EHM:NHL 2006 the place to get it is www.sigames.com.

Thanks. I actually found it a few days ago after doing some more searches. I downloaded the try and buy version and am about 3 months in controlling the Blackhawks. The game is very detailed. I will probably buy it once the trial runs out though on the forums they are talking about releasing another version so I might just wait until then and try playing the minors and whatnot.

They are not releasing another version, just a new patch. There are some issues with home ice advantage, so that patch should be updated and out probably sometime wihtin the next week or two.

The toughest team in NHL06 is Ottawa by far. That's really no surprise, but I have to play them eight times in the regular season and have played them in the conference finals three years running. Just when you think you have the game wrapped up, they tie it with two goals in :11 or something.

So far, my only complaint is I hate how the AI scores cheezy goals right after you do. For example, I just played my second game (at Carolina) and had a shot explosion after the first period (something like 10 shots to 1). I finally cracked through in the second period, but then they skated right down after the face off and scored some hippie goal with no one-timer/rebound/deflection. Of course I lose 1-1 in a shootout because I still don't know what the hell I'm doing in regards to penalty shots.

Also, they don't seem to call many penalties -- I have that slider jacked up and there's only been one penalty called in each of my first two games.

In addition, if I release players, do their salaries count against my budget or something, or do they just get released and I reap the savings? I have a LOT of old crappy players I'll never use and doubt I'll get any trade value for them.

Edited by kkktookmybabyaway

A player's trade value is seemingly only based on his overall value. Even if you have semi-old players like LeClair and others, they're still rated high so you can probably get draft picks and decent overall players.

Players' salaries are tied directly to your budget. Trade someone with a 3.3 million salary for a 1st round pick and your players salary is instantly -3.3 million.

Cool. And I don't have LeClair. I have a bunch of grinders and checkers who are crap. They won't last the season.

And I won my first game 6-3 vs. the Bruins. I got two empty netters so the score is a bit misleading.

How do the defensive pairing sub in and out -- there's only 3 pairings and 4 scoring lines, so I'm assuming the defensement do their own thing.

Cool. And I don't have LeClair. I have a bunch of grinders and checkers who are crap. They won't last the season.

And I won my first game 6-3 vs. the Bruins. I got two empty netters so the score is a bit misleading.

How do the defensive pairing sub in and out -- there's only 3 pairings and 4 scoring lines, so I'm assuming the defensement do their own thing.

I'm assuming that the three pairs go with whatever lines (1st pairing with the top line, 2nd pairing with the second, etc.) and the least tired pair skates with the fourth line.

They are not releasing another version, just a new patch.

This thread on their forum implies that they would release a 2007 version.

http://community.sigames.com/groupee/forum...25/m/5882024361

I hope they do.

Well yeah, of course they are going to release a new one. That one isn't do out until September of 2006, so if you don't mind waiting 9 months, then do that. I would highly recommend buying the current one.

For all hockey games I gotta have manual line changes on. The on the fly line-changes and controlling the offensive zone after dumping the puck is key. Also I like to find out which lines really match up the best against my opponent.

I guess ownership eventually gets tired of winning in this game. My objectives in order have been:

1- Advance to the second round of the playoffs (went to game seven of the SCF)

2- Go to the SCF (Won the Cup)

3- Win the Cup (Won the Cup)

4- Win the President's Trophy and the Cup (Did both)

Now I'm in year 5 and my goal? Have a player win the Rocket Richard trophy (most goals in a season). I've done this the last three seasons with Bergeron. Seems like a step back for me. I think I might challenge myself by getting rid of my best player (Marleau) and trying to make things a bit tougher by starting mostly all draft picks. I drafted a goaltender that looks like a complete bust.

Oh, and for tips on good goaltending, Brian Finley is a fucking steal. He's decent overall, but has lots of potential. Plus, he's been Patrick Roy II for me in the playoffs. He's won the last two Cups for me, going a combined 32-5 in those postseasons. He can be had for cheap. I know kkk doesn't necessarily need one (Fleury is unbelievably good in this game) but for a backup, Finley's great.

For people who play franchise mode. What has your goalies save percentages ended up being at the end of the season?

I've changed my options so the goalies don't flop as much, thus the scoring is more realistic but my goalie's save percentage is always .840 - .880ish

Upon further review, I think the owner has you eventually run through all of the GM goals in the game.

1- Advance to the second round of the playoffs (went to game seven of the SCF)

2- Go to the SCF (Won the Cup)

3- Win the Cup (Won the Cup)

4- Win the President's Trophy and the Cup (Did both)

5- Win the Rocket Richard trophy (did it, and won the Cup)

6- Finish #1 in powerplay %

Don't forget "Getting the #1 pick in the draft." At the rate I'm going, I just might get that.

When I simmed a season to see what the off-season would be like, the Pens made it to the finals of the conference playoffs, then the owner yelled at me because I didn't get the top pick in the draft. Talk about setting goals for yourself.

That's easy enough to do; Trade a good name player for it. I did that exact thing with Patrick Marleau prior to the draft in my fifth season.