TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brian

Observer observations

Guest Brian

Well, I subscribed for three bocks of issues in lieu of the Guerrero issue, and so I wanted to post some htings on what I've noticed.

In an earlier issue (11/28), Meltz mentions Diego getting booed because they (the crowd) viewed Diego as a pretty boy. Well, I was under the impression that he got booed because he was mugging for the camera, and has done so in the past on numerous occasions.

In this week's issue, there's a lot of talk about UFC gates and buyrates. First thing first, I'm going to post three different sets of numbers:

PPV Buys

985,000 - WrestleMania

570,000 - Royal Rumble

534,000 - Summerslam

427,000 - Vengeance

367,000 - New Years Revolution

330,000 - ECW ONS

310,000 - Backlash

280,000 - UFC 52

270,000 - Armaggedon

260,000 - Judgment Day

238,000 - NWO

238,000 - GAB

225,000 - Unforgiven

219,000 - No Mercy

212,000 - Taboo Tuesday

170,000 - UFC 54

115,000 - UFC 53

110,000 - UFC 56 (may go up due to international buys)

Yop 15 Estimated North American PPV Buys

650,000 - WrestleMania

510,000 - Trinidad vs. Wright

410,000 - Hopkins vs. Taylor II

405,000 - Jones vs. Tarver III

375,000 - Royal Rumble

370,000 - Hopkins vs. Taylor I

355,000 - SummerSlam

350,000 - Morales vs. Pacquiano

340,000 - Gatti vs. Mayweather

325,000 - Tyson vs. McBride

285,000 - Vengeance

250,000 - UFC 52

245,000 - New Years Revolution

225,000 - Corrales vs. Castillo

220,000 - ECW ONS

Largest US Gates

$2,575,450 - UFC 52

$2,336,550 - UFC 54

$2,100,000 - WrestleMania

$1,986,600 - UFC 56

$1,493,555 - UFC 51

$1,100,000 - UFC 53

$834,000 - SummerSlam

I though everything here was real interesting. First off, an aside on the WWE numbers, is that these guys are getting by on their international business. Many of their PPVs would not b e turning a profit if they didn't have the new international market.

Second is that UFC, 55 aside, is doing very hot business right now. Two two-million dollar gates. And Chuck is a huge draw, bringing in the fans to the stands (both his gates outgrossed WrestleMania) and the buys.

Chuck>HHH

People actually want to see him "retire with this title".

Sanchez won't be getting booed much longer, the guy is one of the bigger stars they have. People dig his gimmick I think. We can all relate to a guy that grabs electricity out of the air.

Guest Brian

He's too dense and dim-witted. Really, if he continues to mug for the camera in the crowd, I expect things to get worse.

"(paraphrased) I've met Diego several times, and every time I ended up wanting to smash his fucking head in with a hammer." - Scott the Gigantic Jew

Chuck>HHH

People actually want to see him "retire with this title".

Sanchez won't be getting booed much longer, the guy is one of the bigger stars they have. People dig his gimmick I think. We can all relate to a guy that grabs electricity out of the air.

Guess you didn't notice that the booing for him has only increased, huh? He's basically going to become the Jeff Hardy of the UFC soon enough. I was watching Diego/Gassaway the other day and it's abundantly clear that 90% of the people cheering for Diego during his entrance possesed a vagina. He could probably help himself out by shaving and cutting his hair.

And to add on to what Lei Tong said, I hosted a TUF II Finale gathering at my house and a friend of mine with almost no exposure to MMA commented after seeing Diego talk "There's something about him that I can't quite put my finger on that makes me want to fucking kill him".

And to add on to what Lei Tong said, I hosted a TUF II Finale gathering at my house and a friend of mine with almost no exposure to MMA commented after seeing Diego talk "There's something about him that I can't quite put my finger on that makes me want to fucking kill him".

That's what I was saying in the other thread!

Hey guys, I was kidding. No one can relate to a guy that grabs electricity.

I'm hoping he gets fed to Trigg or Sherk or something. That would be an epic beating.

At this point in time, I'd bet that Trigg would tap out to a RNC if he was fighting a guy with no arms and no legs.

Among those who've met him, the concencus seems to be that Diego's a cocky, dim-witted bastard.

I'm pretty sure that describes Mike Tyson as well. But anyways, that leads to the question of who the heel is in the Sanchez/Diaz feud?

Depends on who you ask, really. There was some mumblings about Diego getting a free pass on his two illegal knees to Diaz in their fight and the fact that most refs would've stopped the fight to check the cut he had. I'd say a rematch between the two is warranted, if not for the fact that they'll most likely put on another kick-ass fight.

Like I said, depends on who you ask. All of the ladies love him which causes a lot of guys in turn to dislike him. I personally think he's a solid fighter with a bright future ahead of him but personally he tends to annoy the shit out of me.

Guest Brian

God, I hope Nick Diaz releases a video about shady officiating, and turns the tables and becomes the face.

Diaz for President(e)!

That's damn impressive of UFC drawing gates like that this year. If they kick the PR machine to 11 for Couture/Liddell III, Dana White will have to build a Scrooge McDuck-esque Money Bin.

I'm interested. Why do people hate Diaz?

He's young, talented and very aware of it. Also some feel his claims about Diego greasing up before their fight are the words of a sore loser.

I'm interested. Why do people hate Diaz?

He's young, talented and very aware of it. Also some feel his claims about Diego greasing up before their fight are the words of a sore loser.

Given that he had lost rather convincingly after not giving Diego any respect prior to the fight, you can kinda see why people might take that the wrong way...

I don't think Diaz disrespected Diego as a fighter at all. I think Diaz took a look at where he was within the company and realized that the only reason he was facing Diego is because the UFC wanted Diego to go over. The fight wasn't set up because there was a previously-standing beef between the two. It wasn't set up because there was debate over who's better and they wanted to see for themselves. It was made to give Diego the chance to beat Nick Diaz. Diaz saw through this and called it.

Well, I don't blame Dana and co. for wanting to build Diego up something fierce, but couldn't they have fed him somoene else other than Nick Diaz? Diaz greatly impressed me in his win against Robbie Lawler back at UFC 47, and I thought he would be one of the guys that the UFC could keep around for an extended period as a contender, due to his wins in his last two UFC appearances, at 53 and 51.

How much do you think the loss to Diego hurt Diaz in the long run? Being 22, he's got a hell of a future ahead of him, so I hope it doesn't hurt him too much.

I don't think you could call it feeding Diaz to Diego since most expected Diaz to win, and this was definitely the toughest test any TUF fighter had faced. I think it was just a tough fight for both, as it was also a way to try and build a base of Latino fans. Whether it worked or not remains to be seen.