TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Corey_Lazarus

Kurt Angle vs. Christopher Daniels

Angle or Daniels  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Who is better overall:

• Kurt Angle (WWE)
    • "The Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels (RoH/TNA)

I'm just curious but why don't someone make this thread in the WWE forum. I want to see how different the results turn out.

This poll's proven to be a landslide victory thus far in the TNA forum in favor of Daniels, with I believe the voting being a near 2:1 ratio (42 for Daniels, 22 or 23 for Angle). This may be blind devotion to one of TNA's biggest stars, though, so discuss why and make your choice.

Edited by Corey_Lazarus

I have no devotion to Daniels and I say in the past I would gave the advantage to Kurt. He was the total package in terms of promos, speed, and tech. Now of course his speed/moveset had to be limited due to injury and his promos have degenerated.

Now, I'd give it to Daniels while in the past I'd say Kurt. I'll take Daniels but only because I think the injuries to Kurt have proven devastating no matter what he says.

Bobby Heenan once said that a worker is someone who puts asses in seats. Going by that, Daniels is better than Angle for me. I'll watch any Daniels match that I can, but I have no desire to tune in a Kurt Angle match. That isn't to say I'd turn off a Kurt Angle match, but I won't tune in to a show to specifically see an Angle match. I would do that for Daniels, so he gets my vote.

Kurt Angle is the total package. This is including his look, charisma, mic skills, and connection with the crowd. I'd say he's better than Daniels in all those categories.

Never seen Daniels except for one horrible Nitro match where he blew a spot and landed on his head.

That settles it. Daniels botched a spot 5 years ago. Clearly he isn't remotely talented as Kurt Angle.

The obvious answer is Daniels.

Kurt Angle is the total package. This is including his look, charisma, mic skills, and connection with the crowd. I'd say he's better than Daniels in all those categories.

Was.

By the way, I cast a null vote since I haven't seen enough Daniels stuff to say if he's better or worse than Angle.

(sits back again to watch the imminent arguing)

I really have no desire to see either wrestle at this point. Once upon a time I really liked Daniels, more for his Curryman stuff (Superboy~!) that his Fallen Angel stuff, but the matches I've seen of his in TNA recently don't really do anything for me. Angle is probably more frustrating to watch, however. The dude does a lot of goofy stuff and what he does do well, he doesn't even know how to incorporate it properly into a match. Daniels strings together a match better, but I'd say Angle has better timing than Daniels when it comes to individual things and working within the WWE formula.

That said, I'd put Angles best match over Daniels' best match.

I don't want to use the term "awful" wrestlers, but I've been watching a lot of Kiyoshi Tamura lately and guys like Angle and Daniels are almost jokes compared to that stuff.

Man, he still is. Overall, Angle is more entertaining than Daniels, no matter how many sitdown pedigrees he does.

...so, you're saying that the Angel's Wings is Daniels' only redeeming quality?

Mic Work: Daniels sounds intelligent, articulate and confident. He sounds like he knows where he’s going with each promo, he doesn’t waver, he’s crisp and clear, and you can understand everything he says.

Angle sounds like a guy trying to pretend he’s Kurt Angle. His voice sounds so ragged and raspy, and he sounds like he’s trying way too hard to be something he isn’t. When you’ve got a guy doing that it kills the promo because when he knows he’s trying to be something he isn’t, it makes it hard for him to believe in what he’s saying, and that makes it far less likely that the fans will believe it as well.

Charisma: I’d put them even. Daniels hasn’t got that superstar charisma just yet, and while Angle might have had it a few years ago he’s long since lost it. For presence, I think they both come across as serious and decisive, but Daniels gets the edge on that one because TNA fans take Daniels seriously, know he’s talented and accept that fact. WWE fans haven’t taken Angle seriously in a few years thanks to terrible booking and pointless comedy. They might know Angle is talented, but they’ve been educated not to care because Angle isn’t booked correctly in correlation to that talent.

Ring Work: Daniels is better when it comes to doing things in the air, while Angle is better at doing stuff on the ground. That’s not to say Angle is great on the ground, which may be down to never being able to show it, but Angle has the ground edge over Daniels. For brawling, I think they’re equal. Neither man is going to win awards for their brawling, but both men are good enough at it that they can hold their end in a decent brawl. For bumps, Daniels wins out over Angle, but that’s because Angle is so broken down. Angle was a great bump taker in his physical peak, but that’s long since passed, and with Angle in the shape he’s in now, he doesn’t bump so much, and he shouldn’t for the sake of his body. Daniels might be that banged up too if he doesn’t slow down, but right now, Daniels bumps better.

Psychology: Daniels wins here too. I think this is another area where Angle gets hurt a lot by being hurt. A lot of Angle’s better matches involved things, little and big, that he just cannot do anymore because he’s so beat up. He can still go when need be, but he can’t go as often and as big as he used to. Daniels still can, and that, along with having the mind to make the best use of his relatively wrestling healthy body, puts Daniels ahead of Angle in my book.

And, as I said earlier, if you define a worker as a guy who puts asses in seats, I find Daniels better than Angle, because Daniels puts my ass in a seat and Angle doesn’t.

Never seen Daniels except for one horrible Nitro match where he blew a spot and landed on his head.

That settles it. Daniels botched a spot 5 years ago. Clearly he isn't remotely talented as Kurt Angle.

The obvious answer is Daniels.

I didn't vote. But at the same time, I've never seen Angle have a match that bad.

I would have to go with Daniels. The reason being is I rather watch a Daniels match over a Angle match. Angle's matches have became predictable, Daniels on the other hand you can just expect anything to happen. I also tend to believe that Daniels is the better worker between the two.

Angle works the generic "WWE style" with a few of his trademark spots that expose the business almost as much as the man he's compared to a lot, HBK. For a guy with a banged up neck to do that running up the ropes belly to belly on a regular basis just defies logic. It also negates all of his selling just like HBK's pointless kip ups. There was a time Angle was the most entertaining guy for me to watch in the WWE, now he just blends into the background with everybody else. He's even unbearable to watch cutting promos when he decides to be a dickhead and try to do one while wearing a mouthpiece. Does he thinks it sounds menacing to lisp? If anything he sounds like a character who should be in that new movie The Ringer with Johnny Knoxville and the Special Olympians. I also don't fear for Daniels' life every time he takes a relatively simple bump the way I do for Angle. If we're talking about who has made a bigger impact, then yes Angle wins by a landslide, but right now he's just not exciting to me anymore, while Daniels still is.

Edited by naiwf

I love the way Angle's being judged by how he's performing recently, whereas Daniels seems to be given the benefit of the doubt based on the entirety of his career.

Daniels has been doing this longer, and over the past few years has really hit a new stride. Daniels once carried a green Kurt Angle who was unable to take any high impact bumps to a very entertaining match, and if CM Punk and Samoa Joe say so I believe it.

Angle has had some good matches. I don't get upset about his "adrenaline" rushes like most do. I will say I like a match with great selling, but I'll take a good crisp match with mediocre selling if it entertains me.

If this was a debate about who will be remembered more in ten years than Angle would win hands down. If it's a debate about whos done more for the business, than I'd give it to Daniels as he mentored a lot of up and coming indy guys that are now being called the best in the business. It might not be drawing money, but by giving advice to young wrestlers and helping them get bookings I think you give back to the business just as well.

Anyways, before I meandered off course I was going to say in the topic of who is better all round. I'm going with Daniels hands barely. I think he's on par with Angle in terms of mic skills and charisma. Psychology wise I've seen more good Daniels matches from the past three years then I have Angle matches in his entire career.

Winner: Daniels

That said, I'd put Angles best match over Daniels' best match.

I don't want to use the term "awful" wrestlers, but I've been watching a lot of Kiyoshi Tamura lately and guys like Angle and Daniels are almost jokes compared to that stuff.

Ever seen Daniels vs. Williams? As far as I can tell, that match was better than anything Angle's ever done.

You know what, screw it. Daniels is better than Angle, even comparing career on career. It's easy to forget that Daniels was doing some good stuff as Curry Man stuff from 99-2001, and after that he started doing better stuff stateside as well. I don't think there's a huge difference between the 2, certainly not as much as say, Joe vs. Angle. But it really just comes down to Angle being that bad in some aspects of the game. His selling and match pacing are just completely comical, and he's as masturbatory as your stereotypical indy wrestler. Ironically, Daniels has some of the same problems, it's just not as bad with him. For example, I don't think I've ever seen Daniels completely drag down a match, like Angle did versus Benoit at Royal Rumble '03. So yea, Daniels is better than Angle, not enough to make it a mockery of a comparison, but enough to that I'm fairly comfortable saying it.

P.S. Joe > WWE's entire roster (for "Hail" bps21)

The "generic" WWE style lends itself to dramatic matches much better than a more "technical" style ever will, THERE I SAID IT. I'd qualify that statement as my opinion, but, pssh, no one else is bothering to do so.

I'm not voting because I can't intelligently, but some of the posts in this thread are so matter-of-fact it's sickening. There's more than one style, and many of us find the methodical, spot-filled, overly-dramatic WWE way of doing things quite entertaining, so stop preaching your own personal truths like they were gospel.

And before anyone says "lolz Hoff, but that still means that t3h Fallen Angel is a better WRESTLER OMG," take a minute to remember that this isn't the amateur ranks. The measuring stick in this business is and always has been a performer's ability to entertain. To that end, all one has to do to be a better wrestler is be more entertaining. I'm sure that there's many who find Daniels much better than Angle in that regard, and that's cool. But over the years, Angle has entertained a hell of a lot of people.

The "generic" WWE style lends itself to dramatic matches much better than a more "technical" style ever will, THERE I SAID IT. I'd qualify that statement as my opinion, but, pssh, no one else is bothering to do so.

Care to support this opinion? I'd like to hear how the WWE style lends itself to more dramatic matches than the technical King's Road style. Or the technical NJPW Juniors style. Then perhaps you could compare the best matches from each style to show why the WWE matches are more dramatic.

Why/how did Kurt Angle forget how to cut a compelling promo? I mean, for a while there, he was one of the best mic workers in the WWF. Now, all he does is YELL. HE YELLS THE WHOLE TIME. HE DOES NOT CHANGE THE VOLUME OR INFLECTION OF HIS VOICE AT ANY POINT IN A SPEECH. IT IS ONE MONOTONOUS SHOUT THAT GOES ON FOR SEVERAL MINUTES. I AM TYPING IN ALL CAPS TO FURTHER DEMONSTRATE MY POINT. ARE YOU SICK OF THIS. YES YOU ARE.