TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SilverPhoenix

College Hoops: 1/2/2006 - 1/15/2006

That game was a joke, Dragon. It's blatantly obvious this early that U of L is going to have to "pay the dues" as a newcomer in the Big East. Mainly that would entail getting NO calls from the refs, even at home. I mean Jesus Christ, Taquan Dean getting 4 fouls after 2:00 in the 2nd half? I know the final foul tally is probably pretty even, but Nova never had anyone notable in serious foul trouble. Nova hit a few key 3s, we missed several foul shots, but overall I was encouraged by the effort from U of L tonight. Given the lousy pre conf. schedule I thought Nova might run us by 25 tonight.

To be honest I wasn't real thrilled with Nova. Without the incredibly bogus fouls that took Dean totally out of it (a couple were legit, like the charge) U of L might have pulled that out.

Upcoming games now at Providence, then undefeated Pitt here, UConn here....man, I'm starting to miss C-USA! Where's Southern Miss when you need a jobber to squash?

I have to agree on some of the calls both ways, honestly. Dean got his 4th foul far too soon, but I thought at least 2 of the 3 calls in the first half were definetely justified. The big deal I had was that Nova committed blocking fowls (at least 4) that were called in the first half, it might have changed the game.

As for the game itself, it was what I expected it to be (and what many Big East games are), a knock down, dragout defensive battle with one team pulling it out at the end. What you saw with UConn/Marquette is not what you're going to see often, if a team gets blown out in the Big East, someone played really well, or someone really sucked that night. I was acutally very impressed by both team's defensive pressure, and although Louisville lost, they came to play, and they'll be well into the race for a NCAA bid in March.

Today is the first big day of College Hoops. In New York there is an overall average of 20+ Hours of College Hoops today in the Eastern Region between all the channels.

Here are you Top 25 Matchups of the day.

19 Kentucky vs. Kansas 12:00pm

14 Maryland vs. Miami (FL) 12:00pm

5 Florida vs. Georgia

12 Oklahoma vs. Nebraska 1:30pm

USC vs. 21 Arizona 2:00pm

6 Illinois vs. Iowa 2:05pm

13 N.C State vs. 25 UNC 3:00pm

LSU vs. 2 Connecticut 4:00pm

18 Ohio St vs. 16 Indiana 4:00pm

15 Texas vs. Colorado 4:00pm

17 UCLA vs. Arizona St 4:00pm

20 G Washington vs. Marshall 7:00pm

9 Louisville vs. Providence 7:30pm

Wash St vs. 10 Washingtion 10:00 pm

8 Gonzaga vs. St. Mary's 11:00pm

I like to think of myself as above the typical UK fan, but this is bad. They can't hit the ocean. Fucking terrible. I don't want to even think about March now.

I like to think of myself as above the typical UK fan, but this is bad. They can't hit the ocean. Fucking terrible. I don't want to even think about March now.

Your team can't hit the ocean!? Mine only scored 50 against SMU! Imagine OU/UK......final score 24-23.

It's scary, but if Kentucky has more games like this...They could MISS the NCAA Tournament since 1992, and that's not going ot help Tubby Smith's aspirations to stay there at all.

Right now. Florida is perfomning like a Champ in Georgia, and Maryland is getting chumped in Miami.

Oh yeah. ESPN Full Court Rocks. I may acutally pay for this thing.

I think the young guys at Kansas have finally improved. They may make this team a tournament team and a threat in the Big XII tourney. They won't be a threat in the NCAA.

OU just went 10:15 with only 2 FGs. The only thing that keeps them in games is their defense but when they rn into a team that can shoot the 3 then they are in trouble. Pitiful.

UK is just fucking embarrassing. Seriously, it's time to get rid of Tubby. He's just wrecking this program. Here's a couple of facts for you guys. It's pretty obvious UK is missing the FF this year, which puts this current Smith fiasco era at 8 years of not making a FF. The other times with such a drought:

1966-75: Rupp wasn't changing with the times, retired, then they transitioned to Joe Hall.

1984-93: Hall was forced out, Sutton wrecked the program with NCAA violations, Pitino had to rebuild.

1998-06: Tubby Smith.

OU loses to Nebraska by one point. Fucking stupid plays and fucking pitiful offense. Hey Sampson! Figure out how to run a fucking offense! Your teams haven't been able to shoot worth a damn since Hollis Price graduated!

OU is ranked 14th(going waaaaaaaaay down now) and I don't even think they're going to end up making the tournament. They can't score! How are they going to beat anyone else in the Big XII if they can't even beat fucking Nebraska?

Damn you Sampson.

Oh and what the fuck is wrong with Bookout and Gray? They were one of the best inside duos in the country last year and now they're practically non-existant! Damn you all!

Alright, lets see here.

Olkahoma just lost, Illinois just lost.

With all the defeats happening, there is going to be quite the shakeup in the Top 25, with Villanova moving right to number 2.

Alright, lets see here.

Olkahoma just lost, Illinois just lost.

With all the defeats happening, there is going to be quite the shakeup in the Top 25, with Villanova moving right to number 2.

At least Illinois has looked good this season and were undefeated. OU played inferior competition and still squeaked out victories.

Guest Leelee
Oh and what the fuck is wrong with Bookout and Gray? They were one of the best inside duos in the country last year and now they're practically non-existant! Damn you all!

I don't know... this OU team is baffling to me. Watched a bit of the Nebraska loss, and ugh. That's just a bad loss. And Nebraska shot horribly... there's no excuses for it.

They can't shoot. That's their problem. Hell they should've won the game b/c Everett had a clear lay up there at the end but he's such a fucking loser that he couldn't even get that in.

UNC takes down #12 NC St.

Awesome win - Tarheels really took control in the second half.

It might have just been wishful thinking on my part to say the Heels were gonna be pretty good this year, but it's turning out to look more and more concrete every day.

A win over NC St. is great. Maybe, just maybe they can beat Duke this year.

UNC takes down #12 NC St.

Awesome win - Tarheels really took control in the second half.

It might have just been wishful thinking on my part to say the Heels were gonna be pretty good this year, but it's turning out to look more and more concrete every day.

A win over NC St. is great. Maybe, just maybe they can beat Duke this year.

I just think if Carolina can guard the perimeter and get Hansbrough going then they will have a decent to good shot of beating Duke.

But then again, if it was that easy, Duke wouldn't be undefeated.

UK is just fucking embarrassing. Seriously, it's time to get rid of Tubby. He's just wrecking this program. Here's a couple of facts for you guys. It's pretty obvious UK is missing the FF this year, which puts this current Smith fiasco era at 8 years of not making a FF. The other times with such a drought:

1966-75: Rupp wasn't changing with the times, retired, then they transitioned to Joe Hall.

1984-93: Hall was forced out, Sutton wrecked the program with NCAA violations, Pitino had to rebuild.

1998-06: Tubby Smith.

So basically, Tubby Smith doesn't measure up to Pitino and Rupp, (two of the greatest college coaches of all time), because he only went to one Final Four? Wow, Tubby's really EMBARRASSING THE PROGRAM. I mean honestly, "final four drought"? Who ever heard of such a silly term? You sound like one of the Nebraska fans that forced out Solich so that they could go 5-6 the following year. Get some perspective. Tubby Smith is a very good coach, and if Kentucky gets rid of him, it's only going to set the program back.

EDIT: Well, not that you're a UK fan, but you know what I mean. Very unrealistic to expect a coach to get to multiple Final Fours in ten years.

Edited by iggymcfly

UConn beats LSU by 1

While LSU lost for about the 5th time this season, being in all of these games until late, ESPECIALLY against big teams like #2 UConn and Cincinnati, shows that they've got a lot of potential and that they just need to put it all together.

Having a young team like that shows they should be ready for a big year next year IF no one declares for the draft.

So basically, Tubby Smith doesn't measure up to Pitino and Rupp, (two of the greatest college coaches of all time), because he only went to one Final Four? Wow, Tubby's really EMBARRASSING THE PROGRAM. I mean honestly, "final four drought"? Who ever heard of such a silly term? You sound like one of the Nebraska fans that forced out Solich so that they could go 5-6 the following year. Get some perspective. Tubby Smith is a very good coach, and if Kentucky gets rid of him, it's only going to set the program back.

EDIT: Well, not that you're a UK fan, but you know what I mean. Very unrealistic to expect a coach to get to multiple Final Fours in ten years.

What is wrong with hoping for a Final Four every year? A 20-win season is a gimme at UK. If that is all you hope for, then you are setting the bar pretty low. A SEC title is almost a gimme at UK. Every few years they loan out the SEC title to another team, but for the most part it comes home to Rupp. We expect an SEC title and that is within reason. Twenty wins and the SEC title is your average season. A FF, and for that matter a NC, is the mark of an exceptional season.

I also might add that the average Kentucky fan is completely and totally nuts and comepletely incapable of rational thought. Please don't judge me by anything you read on a UK message board.

I'm not calling for Tubby's head. I think he's a great coach. Even if they did get rid of him, who would they replace him with? Something there needs to change, but I don't know what it is. They should not be losing by 30 to an unranked Kansas team.

Quit defending Tubby. Look, I haven't EVER seen a UK team this utterly fucking putrid. I mean even the Pitino 1990 probation team with walkons was better than this group. They were at least a bunch of white boys who could shoot the rock.

I just laid it out to you flat out why Tubby is embarrassing UK. Since the advent of the NCAA tourney UK has not gone more than 9 years at a time without making the Final 4. The only times with such a drought were when Rupp was past his prime and Hall took over, and then the 2nd time was during the awful Eddie Sutton/early Pitino probation era.

Iggy, let's face facts here. Tubby Smith is simply not an elite level coach. Never has been. Shit, his one lone FF and title was with Pitino's guys. Since those Pitino guys left it's been all downhill for UK come tourney time. In 2000 they lost 2nd round to Syracuse in a 4/5 matchup, no biggie since UK was rebuilding. 2001....lost to friggin USC (a 6 seed) in the Sweet 16. In 2002 UK had a hell of a lot of talent and yet managed only a 4 seed and a ho hum loss to 1 seed Maryland. In 2003 Tubby looked like he had his surefire title team and of course they get their asses kicked by....fucking MARQUETTE? Keep in mind Marquette turned around in the FF against Kansas and got killed by 35. And then the 2004 debacle vs. UAB, who also got smeared by KU the next round. Last year UK made the Elite 8, but their run was about as uninspiring as you can imagine, with an 8 pt. win over EKU, 9 pt win over Cincy, and a 10 point win over Utah in a game so god awful boring I almost fell asleep.

Of course it's hard to follow Rupp or Pitino, but even the uninspired Joe B. Hall won a national title at UK and made two other FFs in 1975 and 84. At least UK was getting top level talent. UK right now has a highly mediocre talent base. Yes there are the burger boys like Rondo, Crawford, etc. But there's also the incompetent likes of Shagari Alleyne, Lukasz Obrzut, Bobby Perry, Patrick Sparks (who has seemingly forgotten how to play). UK has so many guys that are simply not elite Division 1 talent, and that is flat out Tubby's fault.

If you were watching all of UK's games you might understand more about what I mean, like Alro does. Tubby was handed the greatest program in college hoops at its absolute peak and has proceeded to piss it all away to the point where a 27 point beatdown at the hands of a mediocre Kansas team doesn't even make a ripple.

I'm also sick of this argument "We gotta keep Tubby, who else can we get?" Here's an idea: Fucking take a chance on someone. I mean shit, UK could hire some guy from a midmajor conf. and not lose to IU or KU by 25+. Throw a shitload of cash at Tom Izzo, since lord knows he seems to own UK when he goes agains them. As goofy as it sounds to UK fans, bring in Billy Donovan. UK still might be jobbers but at least they'd play an uptempo style and score 80 a game. Get Mark Few from Gonzaga. I mean shit, it's KENTUCKY. It can't be that hard to find a coach that brings an exciting style of play to the table. Hell, Cincy just promoted their assistant to Huggins and is playing great ball.

Anyway, rant over.

Edited by cabbageboy

Guest Princess Leena
Is Duke still undefeated and playing lights out basketball?

No. They had one good game against a hugely overrated Texas team where JJ was red hot. They still had an extremely lucky home win over VT. Villanova should be #1. Until they lose a handful of Big East games because they don't have a consistant inside presence. And Duke is Duke, like Pete Gillen would say.

As far as the Tubby stuff... it's hard to argue against him with the overall record he has. But, UK fans expect their team to be amongst the best in the country every year, and he definitely hasn't got the job done in the tourney. I think people are being a little too harsh on this year's team. Obviously, there's a lack of talent... but, if 2000 was a recruiting year (and I'll never forgive that average UK team for barely beating Bona :()... this one has to be too, as your best players are only Sophomores. And no Morris. The only senior is Sparks, who sucks.

God, I'm so fucking mad about basketball tonight. I had planned to set aside my night to watch the Cougs play the Huskies. Double-checked the time and everything.

Well, I got kind of busy and I thought to myself, "oh well, we never even come close to beating the Huskies. We'll just get blown out playing in Seattle anyway." So I don't watch it and what happens? The Cougs get their first road win over a Top 10 team ever!

I'm still glad they won, but I'm really pissed at myself right now.

Leena, I know Tubby has a pretty solid REGULAR season record at UK. But how many of those wins were against actual quality opponents, as in teams that finished ranked anywhere? Most of these wins were jobber squashes against High Point or Liberty type teams, and then UK would scrape by in a decidedly mediocre SEC. The SEC as a whole hasn't had a Final 4 team since Florida's fluke miracle run in 2000 (they could have been gone 1st round to Butler if not for Mike Miller's buzzer beater). So it's not like winning the world's worst major conference year in and year out is that much of an accomplishment.

Think about that, pretty damn near every conf. since 2000 has had a Final 4 team. The ACC has had Duke in 2001 and 2004, Maryland in 2001 and 2002, UNC last year. The Big East has had UConn and Syracuse both win the title in 2003 and 2004. The Pac 10 is kinda weak but at least did place Arizona in 2001. The Big 12 placed Kansas in 2002 and 2003, Texas in 2003, OU in 2002, OK St. in 2004. The Big 10 placed Michigan St. in 2001 and 2005, Illinois as well last year, IU in 2002 (and hell going back a bit further there's MSU in 1999 and 2000, friggin WISCONSIN in 2000, OSU in 99). Even C-USA before it imploded sent Marquette in 2003 and U of L last year.

The SEC is garbage. The SEC is bar none the worst major conference in the country.

Yeah the Big XII team places a Final Four team every year but they rarely make it to the title game and I believe the Big XII has NEVER had a basketball national champion. As a matter of fact the last time a Big 12/Big Eight/Southwest Conference team won the title was Kansas in 88 wasn't it?