TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

Thoughts on the Following Fighters

Guy Mezger

- Good fighter. A somewhat underrated grappler due to his love of kickboxing; unfortunately, though he had decent pop in his hands, his kicks were usually of the American kickboxing/TKD variety. Also cursed with that shitty Lion's Den stamina.

Enson Inoue

- A favorite of mine (though I understand why many loathe him), was a good-decent fighter his heyday. He had a good guard offensively, but was there to be hit both on the ground and standing. Mixed with his balls-out style, this usually resulted in brutal losses. Did himself no favors by sticking to the HW division, but a loss to Tom Sauer brings questions of how hed' fare at 205 even.

Igor Vovchanchyn

- One of the more overrated fighters in recent memory. Brutal, yet heavily flawed striker with a half decent ground game and sprawl. One-sided losses to Telligman, Sperry & Overeem seem to put his career and abilities in better perspective.

Wanderlei Silva

- Overrated for a long time, Wanderlei finally proved himself with KO wins over Quinton Jackson. Outside of that, however, he's done not much else except formerly destroy, and now mail it in vs. overmatched competition. Makes up for his technical flaws with sheer aggression & athleticism, and has also improved his ground game over the years (more defensively than offensively).

I'll do the rest later.

Guy Mezger, to me, was a fighter who was probably a lot better than people (coughMEcough) give him credit for. The dude could hang with the best at 205. He beat Chuck in the first round of their PRIDE fight, even knocking Chuck down at one point from a strike. Of course, Chuck finished him in about a minute in to the second round, but still, that shouldn't take away from Mezgers accomplishments in the first. I haven't seen the Arona fight, but I heard it was close. Ditto the Minotoro fight. He was giving Silva all he could handle as well in their PRIDE 10 match, and the finish of that fight was mighty suspect. He also pretty much beat Sakuraba at PRIDE 10 and that's when Sak was fucking awesome. For a guy who started in 1994 and competed at UFC 4, to be competitive at this level is amazing.

Guy Mezger, to me, was a fighter who was probably a lot better than people (coughMEcough) give him credit for. The dude could hang with the best at 205. He beat Chuck in the first round of their PRIDE fight, even knocking Chuck down at one point from a strike. Of course, Chuck finished him in about a minute in to the second round, but still, that shouldn't take away from Mezgers accomplishments in the first. I haven't seen the Arona fight, but I heard it was close. Ditto the Minotoro fight. He was giving Silva all he could handle as well in their PRIDE 10 match, and the finish of that fight was mighty suspect. He also pretty much beat Sakuraba at PRIDE 10 and that's when Sak was fucking awesome. For a guy who started in 1994 and competed at UFC 4, to be competitive at this level is amazing.

The Arona fight was VERY close, a lot of people think Mezger got robbed. Minotoro fight would have been a draw in any other promotion. I think he had good strikes, he just lacked the power. His kicks in particular were of a more TKD style as Lei already mentioned, rather than a powerful Muay Thai style kick.

Guy Mezger

Surprisingly one of my favorite fighters. Mezger never went down without putting his all into the fight, and trying his damnedest to take the opponent out. Combined with his overall skills, he was a pretty strong fighter. I don't think he's fought recently, but he's one of the more underrated fighters I've ever seen.

Enson Inoue

Nothing more then a punching bag. You can say he has wins, but the reason Enson was booked as often as he was, was mainly for the sideshow factor. You knew he'd get killed by someone of high skill...it was more about how impressively he'd go down.

Igor Vovchanchyn

If you took away Igor's KO's, then you'd really have notbing that would result in him being booked or considered as highly as he is. Igor's a good fighter, but if anything, his last few outings have shown that his time is gone as a major player, if he ever had a major point at all.

Wanderlei Silva

Thee top LHW fighter still. While I think Shogun and Liddell are debatable, no one has the resume Silva has. He's killed everyone in his path outside of Arona, which is mainly due to Arona's solid boring style.

Gilbert Yvel

Sideshow. Yvel is only good for a few laughs as you watch him either get his ass kicked, or him foul like a sombitch.

Gary Goodridge

Always liked Gary, ever since he killed that poor guy in his UFC debut. That said, he's never been overly good persay, but he was a fairly effective gatekeeper for PRIDE for awhile, and his K-1 career isn't an abortion, so he has those things going for him.

Kazushi Sakuraba

In my opinion, the greatest fighter to ever fight in mainstream MMA. Back in the day, before all the injuries, Saku could hang with heavyweights, he could beat ANYONE. Fuck, he nearly beat Igor after going 90 minutes with Royce in the same night! Nowadays, he's older, slower, and more prone to injuries. If he stuck to the smaller divisions, Saku could still be a top contender, and a possible champion for PRIDE...but if he continues to fight in LHW, or even moves up to HW..He's got another year or two max. He can't take very many more beatings.

Renzo Gracie

The only Gracie I really respect. Renzo fights, and has won, and lost. He's a good fighter, but unlike all the other Gracie's, he competed quite regularly. Maybe that hurt his appeal some, but if anything it proved that he was a stronger fighter due to his actually PROVING his skill as a fighter.

Enson Inoue

Nothing more then a punching bag. You can say he has wins, but the reason Enson was booked as often as he was, was mainly for the sideshow factor. You knew he'd get killed by someone of high skill...it was more about how impressively he'd go down.

You know he subbed Randy Couture right?