TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

Walmart's racist phone service...

Wal-Mart Apologizes for Racist Software Glitch

Wal-Mart's attempt to mimic Amazon, NetFlix, and Blockbuster by providing an automated system that recommends movies based on the types of DVDs its customers previously ordered came to a crashing halt Thursday after blogs spread the word that the Planet of the Apes DVD was linked to "Similar Items" that included DVDs about Martin Luther King, Dorothy Dandridge, Jack Johnson and Tina Turner -- all notable African Americans. "We are heartsick that this happened and are currently doing everything possible to correct the problem," Wal-Mart spokeswoman Mona Williams said in a statement. "We were horrified to discover that some hurtful and offensive combinations are being mapped together. ... We are deeply sorry that this happened." The company gave no explanation for how the software program managed to select only films about African-Americans for the recommendations.

imdb.com

Thought that was funny. They have an easy out...blaming the software, but I bet they are secretly trying to hunt down and kill the programmer.

Guys, this is a company that rose out of Arkansas. I don't even bat an eye when I hear about companies that started down here having these kinds of things happen.

Yeah, but you live down there. Guys like you and I, from the dirrty south, we've grown accustomed to this kind of thing.

I saw a black dude leaving Walmart searched for no reason, but that's it. To be fair, he was pretty gangsta, and Florida isn't the real south.