TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anya

Mortal Kombat Armageddon

The new issue of Game Informer has the first pics and info on the next MK game due out in October.

It uses the MKDA/MKD engine and will be the final game on current gen systems.

There are over 60 playable characters. Every character in the series is back. Shinnok, Stryker, Kai, Rain, Jarek, all of the characters you never thought would return are back and have new looks. The only exception is Motaro, who they are having trouble putting into 3D.

Create-a-character and custom fatality modes.

A new Konquest mode similar to MK Shaolin Monks.

Boon hypes that the theme of the game is finality. Story wise this is it. The final battle in the MK tournament as we know it. The next game will be on next gen systems and will apparently be a whole new beginning.

I have little hope that the gameplay will be good. The engine is a lost cause. But the idea of this being the big finale of the story is exciting. The big question is how everyone can be back. The most popular theory is that The One Being is trying to merge the realms and is nearly succeding, making it so that Neatherealm is open and in chaos and the dead have risen.

MK 66.6 : The Kuest for Even More Ka$h!

Hopefully this will be a more polished effort than the origial MK Trilogy.

However, at this point a slight improvement is boundlessly optimistic.

If Konquest is improved (more actual goals than collecting, tutorials, and the occasional real fight) it should be a good rental/budget purchase tho. Since Shaolin Monks was the best MK game in nearly 10 years, I'm hopeful.

I wonder what thrown-together minigame it may have on the side to try to sell the package.

Maybe a dating sim this time.

Considering the Kollector's Editions are still sitting on some store shells, I wonder what marketing gimmick they might go with this time.

The game won't be polished. It's Mortal Kombat. Ed Boon couldn't balance 12 characters. God imagine how broken and crappy it's going to be with a roster of 60 characters. And just imagine the recycling. There will probably be like 20 fighting styles spread out amongst the characters. There is NO WAY they will all actually play differently. They couldn't even put in Goro and Kahn into MKD for GC without recycling animation.

Yeah, I played it on Live and it sucked. 1 player sucked even worse... But when I first got it and played with my cousin, we loved it. Then again, we felt the same way about SVC Chaos, and I ended up trading that in for $16 within 2 weeks.

Plus, just like any fighting/wrestling game on gamespy servers, the online play in PS2 is buggy as hell.

I can't say how good/bad X-Box Live was with it.

Matt: SVC Chaos? Good Lord, I'll play just about any 2D fighter for a while, but that was painful.

Plus, just like any fighting/wrestling game on gamespy servers, the online play in PS2 is buggy as hell.

I can't say how good/bad X-Box Live was with it.

Matt: SVC Chaos? Good Lord, I'll play just about any 2D fighter for a while, but that was painful.

It was the Toys R Us annual buy 2 get 1 sale in 2004. I was just about to get an Xbox, so I stocked up on games. However, I did not go til the last day of the sale, and many of the games I wanted were gone. SVC Chaos was playable in the store, so I tried it. It was really fun, and I thought the personalized dialogue for each matchup was cool, so I bought it. I soon regretted that decision, as I mentioned above.

"SVC Chaos was playable in the store"

A marked improvement over the other versions!

Okay, guilty as charged on the personalized dialogue. That, Red Arremer, and the roster in general are the only reasons I actually played it as long as I did.

Ugh, the same engine.

It was a fun and welcome change in MK:DA, it was wearing thin in Deception and it is going to be tedious as all hell in Armageddon if it is going to be stretched over that many fighters.

I'm interested storyline wise, to see how Boon ties everything (the best he can do is try, I guess, to make sense of the convoluted mess that is MK) together in one, big finale. I really don't think this will be any good gameplay wise, though.

I'd like him to prove me wrong.

There's been a bunch of fake names for that. I've also heard Domination and Devastation. That movie is the Duke Nukem Forever of the MK franchise. It's constantly rumored to begin filming "in a few months" and nothing every comes of it. I don't think they even have a script. All the "news" on it is like years old.

I think it would be cool if they did an MK prequel that featured the original Kung Lao, Shang Tsung and a bunch of new characters. Not Goro, though, because he'd have to be more powerful than everyone else.

I just read the feature in the new GI. It's making a big deal about the improved, faster air combat. So that probably means even more infinites.

Rain has a new look and actually seems designed to look rather regal. He has a purple vest, natch. However, he has a cape, a big gold collar, and he has a cool dagger.

An "original" character will be the main one you use in the konquest mode. He doesn't have a real name yet, but his costume looks like Han Zo Mon from WCW/nWo Revenge without a mask.

Puzzle/Chess combat is gone, but there's a new mode replacing it. "...something new. Something strange. Something that will support up to eight players simultaneously online," GI states.

Anya: You might be interested in this...

http://openmortal.sourceforge.net/

A couple omens that disturb me:

Armageddon is such a cliche and uninspired name. Often the products reflect the effort put into the name.

See: Resident Evil Apocalypse, MK Annihilation.

Also, no MK product that can be abbreviated as "MKA" is ever any good.

See: Mortal Kombat Annihilation, Mortal Kombat Advance

Yeah I thought of that.

Honestly I am more excited for the arcade version of Soulcalibur III than MKA.

Guest Psycho_Freak

MKA looks like it could be a great game but i was dissapointed with Decemption

Time to resurrect this one, Midway have released the official opening video for Mortal Kombat Armageddon.

The entry at MK:Online can be found here http://www.mortalkombatonline.com/content/...ge.cds?id=89958

The video, available at IGN, is here http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/794/794354/vids_1.html

Might I say, it's a pretty awesome intro, although MK always seems to have a really cool introductory video. Strykers pot-shot at Mileena is fucking hilarious. As was Jax's "What else you got?" *BANG*

Hah that was good. Their big battle cutscenes usually are, like the SM intro. Ending it with Liu Kang vs. Shang Tsung was cool. If the endings where anywhere near like that the story would be worthwhile.

Don't blame me this time for getting all hyped over this game when it ends up being weak.

Nope. They've done a few spin offs though.

Mythologies is a crappy 2D sidescroller about Sub-Zero.

Special Forces is a 3D beat em up with Jax that is horrible.

Shaolin Monks is a two player 3D beat em up that is a "retelling" of MK II and is decent.