TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

"Slither" Red Band Trailer Up

I saw a trailer for this at some theatre, though I can't remember what it ran with, but either way it looks like a good old campy/funny gorefest. :)

Guest fanofcoils

Was there a movie that came out in the early 90s called Slither or something similar to that title? I imdbed it and I didn't find anything under Slither from the early 90s.

It looks pretty good. Has a kinda cheesy feel to it, which is no bad thing, and is from the writer of "The Specials", so I'm looking forward to it.

Just got back from Slither.

It was really funny and a fun movie.

The parts where it was a straight up horror movie were pretty bleh, as the zombie stuff was stupid and did nothing for me.

I'm not really a zombie fan, I hope I don't get banned for saying that.

If any of you have any questions about the movie, fire away.

The deer zombie owned

Varsity Cinemas. The guy from ReeltoReel was there too. I also saw him last week at the Dominion. What can I say, celebrities just flock to me.

Tonight I'm going to a screening of Basic Instinct 2. For that movie, I'd also be more then happy to answer your questions

Yea, Richard Crouse.

From imdb-

Trade mark

Always wears his hair slicked back, funky horn-rimmed glasses and a tailored suit.

The guy brought in a lot of food to eat, must've been hungry.

I really can't wait to see this one. The director BTW, said that "Night Of The Creeps" wasn't that much of an influence. He has name dropped Cronenbergs "Shivers" as an influence on the movie though.

Plus, Micheal Rooker's mutated form in the movie reminds me of the Dr. Pretorious monster in "From Beyond" (which should be coming to DVD sometime this year as an extended director's cut). Speaking of Rooker, he's in the new FX show "Thief".

Yea, the press kit that I got mentions the Cronenburg influence.

Grant looks really gross.

Is final form at the end, when Elizabeth Banks goes to kiss him is disgusting

Are you going to write a review for this one like you did for Brick?

Yes, I just have to write it. I also have to write up my thoughts on Basic Instinct 2, which was quite the movie.

Wait, Barron wrote a review for Brick? Where? Cause that's a movie I'm interested in seeing. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is developing into quite the good young actor.

Wait, Barron wrote a review for Brick? Where? Cause that's a movie I'm interested in seeing. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is developing into quite the good young actor.

I get a huge neo-noir feel from the trailer, only against a highscool setting.

I hope he doesn't mind me posting it:

It's def film noir but with teens, here's my review that I wrote for our paper:

There really is nothing better then a quality film noir film. The Cracker Jack dialogue, the shady characters and of course the luscious femme fatale. Brick tries to do something new with your basic film noir plot by applying it to high schoolers, and for the most part, the movie succeeds.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays Brendan, and he goes to one of those high schools where everybody is involved something illicit. He had a girlfriend named Emily, but they broke up when she drifted into a different crowd. A frantic phone call brings Emily back into his life, and soon Emily winds up dead. Brendan is now on a mission to find what happened, and will seemingly go to any lengths to do so.

Writer/Director Rian Johnson does an effective job making the film feel like a noir. The dialogue between Brendan and his right-hand man The Brain seems lifted out of The Maltese Falcon or Double Indemnity. Laura Dannon, the film’s main femme fatale, recalls classic fatales like Phyllis Dietrichson, Brigid O’Shaughnessy and Mia Wallace, thanks to an excellent performance by Nora Zehtner. Everyone in the movie, including Brendan, has something to hide, and it’s a lot of fun watching the movie unravel.

Lukas Haas is effective as a character named “The Pin” and his character provides some needed comic relief so the film isn’t a total bleak downer. And after years watching 3rd Rock from the Sun, Gordon-Levitt is a revelation here. I love that he continues to take roles in low budget indie films, and he makes character likeable, despite the fact that Brendan is a douchebag like the rest.

Johnson becomes overly ambitious times and it shows. Megan Good plays another femme fatale, but is not needed and becomes wasted. While it is fun watching the movie unravel, Johnson introduces too many characters at the end, and it becomes muddled. While I can buy Joseph Gordon-Levitt as being smart, I can’t see him as a badass who can fuck people up. And come on, the film is too light. A real film noir is filmed with dark lightning, sunny California doesn’t cut it.

Johnson does deserve credit for turning what could’ve been a hokey premise (It’s Hitchcock meets Wilder….in high school!) into a really fun movie that may not keep people guessing, as anyone whose seen a noir will figure it out, but it will keep people entertained. I cared about the main characters, which is always a sign of a quality film.

Overall, Brick is an effective film noir flick, and hopefully will garner some interest to resuscitate a dead genre. Considering the budget was only $500,000, Johnson has assembled a good cast of talented young actors who know how to do film noir and the result is a fun movie that will please anyone with The Third Man in their DVD collection.

Friday I get to interview Lukas Haas, who plays The Pin.

No problem DH, it'll be in our school paper next week along with an interview with Lukas Haas. I'll post both next week.

The critics I saw Slither with were laughing the whole time, they all seemed to enjoy it. The critics I saw Basic Instinct 2 with were also laughing the whole time, but for different reasons