TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tpww7

OAO Raw Thread for 1/30/06

Hot on the heels of the Royal Rumble, “The Champ” is back as RAW rolls into Orlando, Florida, tonight.

Last night, John Cena defeated Edge at the Royal Rumble to once again become WWE Champion. After the match, Edge was irate when Todd Grisham asked him about becoming the “transitional champion” he said he wouldn’t be. Edge will have his chance to redeem himself tonight on RAW as he take on The Champ in a Royal Rumble rematch for the WWE Championship. Can Edge bounce back from a disappointing Royal Rumble?

The World Tag Team Champions, Big Show and Kane, teamed up momentarily during the Royal Rumble last night, but then focused their attentions on each other, allowing Triple H to eliminate them both. Tonight they will team up to defend the gold against Carlito and Chris Masters. Carlito got the best of Masters at New Year's Revolution in the Elimination Chamber and did the same last night at the Rumble. The two will have to patch things up if they want to become World Tag Team Champions.

Also last night, Triple H nearly went the distance, being the second-to-last man eliminated from the Royal Rumble Match after drawing No. 1. Will the Game have anything to say about his performance?

Plus, Gregory Helms shocked everyone by entering the Open Invitational Match at the Royal Rumble, outlasting five SmackDown Superstars to become the new Cruiserweight Champion. What’s next for the former superhero now that he has brought the gold to RAW?

Find out the answers to these questions and more tonight at 9/8 CT on the USA Network.

Looks like Cena might the Foley treatment. Scratch that, the Kane treatment. I forgot Foley won on a RAW and lost on PPV or something like that.

All I want to know is will RVD wrestle tonight?

Who will open the show with a 15 minute promo HHH, Edge, Cena or all of the above with cameo appearences from Big Show and Kane?

RVD with a 20 minute tirade against Vince McMahon, HHH, and Cena explaining how the WWE has sucked this past year.

RVD to run in on the Carlito/Masters tag team match....at NWO Carlito vs Masters....at WM RVD vs Carlito.....Masters gets the Snitsky treatment.

What the hell are they going to do with the CW title on Raw anyways?

Oh yeah..the same thing they did on SD..nothing.

Probably give it to Chavo or something. Other than Chavo, is there anyone on RAW he could defend it against? God, they should just turn it into the tv title or something.

Let's say that creative was split on giving the title back to Cena, and they are going to give Edge the title back tonight because the side that was against Edge dropping the title talked some sense into the other side.

After what happened last night, would that really repair what they had undone last night? What could be done to repair everything...if anything?

Let's say that creative was split on giving the title back to Cena, and they are going to give Edge the title back tonight because the side that was against Edge dropping the title talked some sense into the other side.

After what happened last night, would that really repair what they had undone last night? What could be done to repair everything...if anything?

Only way I could see repair is a complete utter squash by Edge after he makes Lita stay in the back and out of it. He'd have to destroy Cena by himself and pin him cleanly in the dead center of the ring. Cena could go away to redo his character and Edge would be better than he was before since he could claim the destruction of Cena...which would make him a face if Lita wasn't with him.

The problem is they wouldn't do that and giving the belt back to Edge by roll-up or interference or dusty finish damages the damn belt as well as both characters.

If, and only if Edge beats Cena convincingly and cleanly in about 5-7 minutes. While a lot of eyes did see the RR, I'd guess it's far less than would watch RAW tonight. They gave Cena a strong win yesterday so the only way to erase the damage would be to completely bury him today, so it's not going to happen. Edge will job again and end up lower in the ranks than Carlito & Masters on the heel side, and that's just idiotic.

I guess I'm the only one who feels the wwe did the right thing with Cena regaining the belt. Guys, Cena sells merchandise and he has the younger audience behind him. That is why there's a split in the crowd. Besides, he is more PR friendly as champion.

I knew Edge was just a distraction as champion. Why is it also not seen as Cena's long reign and loss to Edge didn't help spark interest? Edge doesn't deserve all the credit for the ratings increase. It could very well also be Cena's chase for the belt. I do agree that maybe they could have stretched it, but we'll see where this is heading. Besides, as I said in the other thread Edge will be a threat to HHH's position as the #1 heel on RAW if he kept on with the title. It's kind of politics mixed in all of this.

I just hope they don't do the dusty finish for the Rumble when there is no controversy about who the winner is. The Rumble stip is one stip that actually sticks in wrestling with the exception of something like 1997 or 1999.

I also didn't like the Rumble being third from last on the card either. The Undertaker nonsense could have happened on smackdown. Again, the hollywood crap is unnecessary. Shane/HBK for Mania? It would make a lot more sense to do Rated R Superstar vs. HBK at Mania imo. I mean, that story writes itself. Edge is Vince's new HBK against the born-again HBK at Mania.

Would Hogan have been Hogan in the internet age??

The reasoning for putting the belt back on Cena was because he is a great, great PR man and sells crazy amounts of merchandise. It is known that women and children love him and that most men hate him, though males 18-49 is the WWE's "target audience". It was felt that turning him heel would negate all of this and kill his marketability.

Edge does not deserve all the credit for the ratings increase because of this........

-It's the Royal Rumble-Mania timeframe. If this was HHH in the position I bet everyone would be using this as the reason for the increase.

-The wwe used the trainwreck of the live sex show to keep viewers glued. They could have used the angle with someone else and it would have resulted in the same thing.

-They brought back Ric Flair and put him in a title match in Flair country. If they had used Angle or HHH in the role it can easily be argued the same result in terms of ratings.

-The fans were backlashing against Cena and wanted him to drop the belt since the Kurt Angle feud. A title change out of nowhere results in "anything can happen" atmosphere when there was a status quo for most of 2005 with the same champions on both brands.

-The above situation added with Kurt Angle winning the title out of nowhere on smackdown makes the viewers believe that if they miss anything especially around this time of year they will miss out. For all the cruising done in 2005 with Batista and Cena as champions it levels out by making fans get comfortable with a situation, thus when little things occur out of the norm it brings back fans.

-Yes, they could put Cena underneath a title match at Mania, but it causes a situation that happened in wcw. The established guys still are used at the top, while the younger guys are shunted in the middle. Cena and HBK are the only real babyfaces on RAW and using both of them in the middle of the card is not smart. It seems that HBK is not going to win the title anytime soon if ever again and they are building Cena as a real main event championship wrestler. It worked getting HHH over in 1999-2000 and Kurt Angle in 2000-2001. Eventually, the fans will have to accept Cena is the future main eventer for the business. Besides, from what I saw on the RAW promo for tonight Edge is getting a title re-match. He could very well get the title back.

No way in hell Edge wins the belt back tonight. If anything, they'll use this match to put the wheels in motion for Cena's next feud. Sorry, gang, I don't like it anymore than you do, but there's no way the WWE title is changing hands three times in one month. Vince Russo doesn't work here anymore.

If, and only if Edge beats Cena convincingly and cleanly in about 5-7 minutes. While a lot of eyes did see the RR, I'd guess it's far less than would watch RAW tonight. They gave Cena a strong win yesterday so the only way to erase the damage would be to completely bury him today, so it's not going to happen. Edge will job again and end up lower in the ranks than Carlito & Masters on the heel side, and that's just idiotic.

If they want, they can alter the footage to make it look Edge only lost because of Lita and that Cena didn't really beat Edge.

That's what the WWE creative team are: IDIOTS. As you say, the've pretty much buried Edge and there's no WAY they will give him a clean win over Cena tonight!

You see if Edge is so hot and over it shouldn't matter. He really is a heatless wonder imo. The creative team just had to honor the MITB stip and the elimination chamber was perfect. Anyone really believes Edge would keep this heat going past Mania? I don't. Look at the guy's track record. Besides, doesn't everyone complain about the wwe not going with long term planning? Now, they are doing it and there's complaints all over the net.

Why the FUCK is the cruserweight title going to RAW? Where's the logic in Teddy Long inviting all former cruserweight champions to compete if someone from RAW could walk in and steal their title?

Quick question, i said i would never watch Raw again, but Edge is getting a rematch... My question is this... Is it worth tuning in? Or will Cena just bury Edge in a nothing match and leave me even more pissed than i was last night?

Quick question, i said i would never watch Raw again, but Edge is getting a rematch... My question is this... Is it worth tuning in? Or will Cena just bury Edge in a nothing match and leave me even more pissed than i was last night?

He may get a rematch, but he ain't going over!!!!

Edge doesn't deserve all the credit for the ratings increase. It could very well also be Cena's chase for the belt

Yes, because those people who weren't watching when Cena was champion, would tune in the very next night hoping he will win the title back, so they can stop watching again.

Guest Dam(o)nYankees
I guess I'm the only one who feels the wwe did the right thing with Cena regaining the belt. Guys, Cena sells merchandise and he has the younger audience behind him.

So did the Hurricane, with the added bonus of not being booed by 80 percent of the audience.

Until Edge eliminates the spear from his moveset, I will laugh at his pity party.

It's not even a spear, it looks like if your girl hasn't seen you in a long time and rushes to hug you. It's just Edge hugging someone gently to the canvas. His lifting DDT and his submission hold were about 100 times better than the Huggles.

Edge doesn't deserve all the credit for the ratings increase. It could very well also be Cena's chase for the belt

Yes, because those people who weren't watching when Cena was champion, would tune in the very next night hoping he will win the title back, so they can stop watching again.

Okay, so why would the fans stay tuned to see Cena go after the title if he has nothing to do with the ratings. It's obvious the crowd is split. Some fans do back Cena and they have already let it be known that Cena is riding for those fans. Another thing to consider is where in the hell would the direction go with Edge as champion if they don't have a plan for him? They would just screw it up anyways, if this was just a distraction title change.

Dam(o)nYankees, they are doing that with a cruiser right now in Rey Mysterio. He sells merchandise and pops the crowd. Yes, he's not being booed by 80% of the audience, but I can bet he will be booed if he turns into superman against the big men who are established like Cena was.

Cena's title chase had NOTHING to do with the ratings.

He just fucking lost, nobody wants to see his chase right after he lost it, except the Cena marks who were watching anyways. Edge deserves WAY more credit than Cena for the ratings boom, but I would say that what deserves the most credit for the ratings is a combination of the time of year, and the surprise switch.

I think WWE is shooting themselves in the foot on this one. Sure Cena is a great babyface...merchandise and all that. But ever since SummerSlam he's been getting booed more and more. By NYR he was the biggest heel in the match. This is a bad thing, btw.

Taking the title off him was the only way to get the people to stop booing him so much, and it worked...but then they put the title back on him. People are just going to turn on him more and more. Unless a Cena heel turn is in the plans, this is a very bad idea.

I don't know man. People are acting like Cena's reign was December 1996 bad when it wasn't. The net's over-reacting and yet it seems they say the same thing when the wwe goes overboard by trying to shock viewers into watching. The RAW when Bischoff got fired did great ratings too, does that mean they have to make the show the same way every week? It was good writing and so was Cena's loss and Edge's unpredictable win. We'll see how things turn out in th build to Mania. If Cena starts tanking(and I'm not saying a .5 difference in ratings either) they will just put the title on HHH at Mania. There is more to the business than ratings. Ask wcw in 1997 and 1998.

Until Edge eliminates the spear from his moveset, I will laugh at his pity party.

It's not even a spear, it looks like if your girl hasn't seen you in a long time and rushes to hug you. It's just Edge hugging someone gently to the canvas. His lifting DDT and his submission hold were about 100 times better than the Huggles.

The Huggles . . . hit the nail on the head. Almost like seeing your girl run to hug you but trip and fall about a foot before she makes it to ya causing her to hug your waist. I mean if Edge used it as a basic takedown move, that'd be fine. But to WIN matches w/ it is completely unacceptable.

And his submission move was a great hold . . . whatever it was called but it looked pretty uncomfortable to me.