TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

Carlson Gracie Sr.

The name "Gracie" in both MMA and BJJ has several connotations attached to it, both positive and negative. When mentioned, words like "innovators" and "revolutionaries" as well as "out-dated" come to mind, depending on who's hearing it. The name Carlson Gracie, however, doesn't have that third word associated with it. The thing which made Carlson different from guys like Rorion, Royce, and Rickson was that he never got caught up in the myth, aura, and ego of "Gracie Jiu Jitsu". He was a modernized fighter, a true warrior who saw the change in fighting and changed with it. It is no coincidence that many of the successful, modern Brazilian fighters have been associated with him.

Here is a really good interview that sheds light on Carlsons issues with Gracie Jiu Jitsu and how he looks at the sport of MMA.

http://bjj.org/interviews/carlson-1997.html

Looking at who he taught, and who his students taught, you can see a long-line of fighters who were in some way effected by Carlsons teaching. This is best illustrated in the link provided below.

http://bjj.org/a/people/gracie-carlson-sr.html

Students:

7th Black: Marcus Vinius de Macedo Soares

5th Black: Edson Carvalho, Ricardo de la Riva Goded, Carlos Rollyson, Orlando Saraiva

4th Black: Antonio Ricardo Cavalcanti, Rey Diogo, Julio "Foca" Fernandez, Allan Góes, Carlson Gracie Jr., Sergio de "Bolão" Souza

3rd Black: Marcelo Alonso, Anibal Braga, Andre Pederneiras, Jorge Popovitch, Marcelo Saporito

2nd Black: Walter Mattas, Nelson Solari, Renato Tavares

Black: Francisco "Toco" Albuquerque, Roberto Bebeo, Vitor Belfort, Amaury Bitetti, Murilo Bustamante, Franco de Camargo, Cássio Cardoso, Vinícius Cruz, Luís Roberto Duarte, Marcos Flexa, Rocian Gracie Jr., Wallid Ismail, Ricardo Jucá, Aaron Lapointe, Ricardo Libório, Luis Carlos "Manimal" Mateus Dias, Marcos da "Parrumpinha" Matta, Rodrigo Medeiros, Fernando Pinduka, Clóvis Rodrigues, Rosando, Alberto dos Santos, Rinaldo Ribeiro Dos Santos, Luis Sergio, Clovis Silva, Crézio de Souza, José Mario "The Zen Machine" Sperry, Mário Sukata, Luiz Carlos Valois, Oswaldo Viana

Brown: Carlos Chermont, Wilson Junior, Scott Willner

Purple: Stephan Bonnar, Dave Kujawski

Blue: Darrin Durham

A true MMA legend is gone, but his legacy lives on in many of those which fight today.

The thing which made Carlson different from guys like Rorion, Royce, and Rickson was that he never got caught up in the myth, aura, and ego of "Gracie Jiu Jitsu".

Ain't that the fucking truth. While I'm not all that familiar with Rorion, Royce and Rickson are basically MMA divas. Not sure if that comes from Helio or what.

Thanks for posting all that, RRR. Carlson is a very important person to the history of mma. He is also being given proper respect at some of the more intelligent boxing forums online as well.

Cross-posted from DVDVR:

“As of yesterday, everyone had good spirits. It looked like he’s going to pull this one out. The worst is over.” Stephan Bonnar commented about this morning’s news of Carlson Gracie’s death.

Carlson Gracie had been sick for a couple of weeks, but his death comes as a shock to the Martial Arts and Mixed Martial Arts communities. Carlson, reportedly, wasn’t feeling well every since Stephan Bonnar’s ‘Ultimate Fight Night 3,’ bout against James Irvin on January 16th.

Bonnar told MMAWeekly Carlson had been ill, “Ever since my fight. He got in the night before my fight, on Sunday. He said he wasn’t feeling good. He was sick. You could just tell he was sick. I thought he’d pull through and be all right, but he just got worse. He checked into the hospital last week and had a really bad infection, kidney stones. I guess he looked really, really bad, and they were surprised that he was able to pull through the worst. He was on the road to recovery as of yesterday, and then he passed away this morning.”

The emotional Bonnar added, “It sucks man, I mean, because he was always in such good shape. He was so healthy and vibrant. He got sick a few weeks ago. It just got worse and worse. I saw him yesterday. He looked bad, but they said he was looking a lot better, and he’s going to pull through, and the worst is over. Then, I got the call this morning, so it sucks.”

Stephan Bonnar has trained under Carlson Gracie since Carlson moved to the United States in 2002. Reflecting on his time with Carlson, Stephan commented, “What was great about him was he didn’t hold anything back. I know a lot of Jiu-Jitsu guys that will kind of save their best techniques. If you had a question, how do you defend this? He would answer. It really didn’t matter who you was, your first day of class. He was honest and open about it, his Jiu-Jitsu and about other things too. You know? He would give you the last dollar in his wallet. He was a real good person. I mean honestly. I just wouldn’t say that about anyone. Like a really, really good person Carlson was.”

The impact of Carlson Gracie’s life on Jiu-Jitsu and MMA is obvious. He trained Murilo Bustamante, Vitor Belfort, many of the fighters that are now Brazilian Top Team... but what will be the impact of his death be on the Carlson Gracie Team and his academy?

Answering that question, Bonnar said, “I really don’t know. I’m kind of sitting here with question marks. You know? What do I do from here? I mean, I’ve still got my guys to train with and that, but it does feel like something is missing. I’m all confused right now . . . It was just an honor to work with someone like him.”

Zuffa would like to send its sincerest condolences to the family and friends of Carlson Gracie Sr., who passed away today in Chicago at the age 72. A legendary Grandmaster and practitioner of jiu-jitsu, Gracie was cited in 2001 by Men's Fitness magazine as "arguably the best fighter ever produced by the Gracie clan," and he was just as special as a teacher, to not only a host of elite jiu-jitsu and mixed martial arts competitors, but to everyone who stepped through the doors of his schools. He will be sorely missed.

--UFC.tv