TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Michrome

The X division is broken

Samoa Joe is a great X champion. He has great matches and has the aura of a champion. There is just one problem: 2 months into his reign, he has beaten every single challenger in the X division. Styles, Daniels, Sabin, Shelley, Aries, Dutt, Strong, Lethal, Bentley....Sadly, only 3 of these came on PPV. TNA was incredibly stupid in how they booked squashes...by squashing half these guys on impact, they made it impossible for them to be credible challengers any time in the near future.

How to solve this? I don't have the answers, but I have a couple suggestions.

First, bring in Low Ki. This is absolutely necessary. Ki and Joe have incredible chemistry, and this feud could carry the X division. A feud doesn't have to consist of an endless series of matches...It could be something like this: Ki comes in, and starts absolutely laying waste to guys in the same way Joe does. Joe appears to be concerned, and actually avoids defending against Ki. Ki burns through the division, and finally gets his match with Joe 4 or 5 months down the line. If they are ready to move Joe to the X division by then, then this would be a perfect time for the switch.

Second, Jerry Lynn can be reactivated as a sympathetic challenger against the monster Joe. They could get at least 2 PPV's out of this.

Anyone else have any other ideas? I think this 3-way is going to mark the last time Joe/AJ/Daniels can really be fresh.

I think it might have to involve bringing in someone new to take the belt off him, while they build back up the other guys. You mentioned Low Ki, which would work, but I heard TNA management had problems with him, so they probably won't bring him back.

The nice thing is, since TNA isn't WWE, they aren't really in any hurry to get the belt off Joe, and they really don't have to, either.

To me, they (the bookers) have to decide on someone like Sabin or even Lynn and decide that is who is going to unseat Joe. Then they should book backwards as to how whoever is annointed the Joe-beater is going to get to that point. I don't think that is too hard.

A key for the big picture is once Joe is removed as X champ, he needs to get into the heavyweight picture and start the chase for the heavyweight crown. Again, it's good in theory, but I dont' know if TNA has the moxy to pull it off.

As reported earlier, it is likely that TNA Impact will be moved to Thursday nights at 8PM ET soon. TNA, however, is fighting for the 8PM ET slot on Monday nights. It is very possible that as a concession for being on Thursdays, SpikeTV will give TNA 90 minutes, from 8PM ET to 9:30PM ET. SpikeTV wants to package TNA and UFC together on Thursday nights in a three to four hour block.

Credit: PWInsider.com

TNA Wrestling officials will be meeting with Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre promoter/owner Paco Alonso over the next few weeks and months in hopes of building a alliance/working agreement between the two promotions. TNA Wrestling would like to bring in some of the luchadores from Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre to spice up their X Division during the summer, which would hopefully help build to the World X Cup (a plan that also includes the appearances of many new Japanese and Canadian “X Division“ superstars). TNA Wrestling is also very interested in using Mistico and Ultimo Guerrero as the two focus points (aka Captains) for “Team Mexico” this August for the return of TNA Wrestling’s “World X Cup” Tournament.

Rumor has it that Black Tiger,Tiger Mask and Tanahashi will represent Team Japan. Harry Smith is rumor to be close to signing with TNA. With this X cup news,the possible return of Low Ki, Harry Smith and Kevin Steen to TNA,they will have the BEST roster in the world. The roster will be like the WCW roster from 1997.

I found this on NMB.

The only problem is, how are they going to get all these people on TV if they still only have a one hour timeslot? Hopefully the 90 minute thing happens. I think that could be the perfect length for Impact...long enough that they can stretch out a couple matches and add a couple interviews, but not so long that they are scraping for stuff and you're bored by the end of the show.

I think even if they hadn't thrown all those guys to Joe already, they still wouldn't be perceived as viable contenders. I'd push the Aries/Strong/Shelley group as a major threat to Joe. Maybe have one of them pin him clean in a tag match.

Guest Princess Leena

Move Joe up to the pointless kill each other division with guys his size. Watch as his overness and workrate mysteriously drops among smarks. Have the X-Division like it used to be... fun curtain jerking spotfests. But, maybe with some characters for these guys.

I hate to agree with Leena on anything wrestling related, but I think she's right. Joe needs to lose a couple of matches before he moves up to the heavyweight division just to get the fans accustomed to how he will be used once he gets there. I don't think that the emphasis on the X-Division needs to be dropped completely, but they can't make Joe so much better than everyone else on the roster that he becomes JJJ with some workrate because that will get played out too.

Guest El Satanico

They could build someone up as a underdog, and have Joe dominate him before losing the belt on a fluke upset.

It would need to be someone small and fast that can bump well.

Guest FromBeyondTheGrave

I'd love for Joe to feud with Aries/Strong/Shelly, with him defeating Strong and Shelly, but finally getting beat by Aries, like in ROH. Joe .VS. Aries on TNA's 4 year Anniversary PPV, with Aries winning the X-Divison title would be sweet.

I know he's looked upon as an unprofessional jackass by the majority of the IWC, but what are the chances of seeing Teddy Hart return to TNA? What about a couple matches from Jack Evans? I remember during one of the World X-Cup tourneys, Hart and Evans represented Canada. Hart is a fantastic high-flyer and I think he could add a lot to the X-Division. If you want someone to face Samoa Joe that can bump like death, and is fairly quick in the ring, feed Jack Evans to him.

As far as someone to finally take the title off Samoa Joe, I am all for bringing back Low-Ki. Whatever problems TNA management have with him, should try to be left in the past. 'Ki is one of the finest high-flyers in the world, and the guy can work a stiff match as well as mat-wrestle. Give him and Joe about 30 minutes on PPV and have them go to a draw, then over the course of maybe 2 or 3 months have 'Ki built-up and built-up until he finally takes down Joe for the X-title.

It's time for some total nonstop 6-man tag team action with Aries/Strong/Shelly proving that they are worthy of a title shot to Mr. JL.

TNA Wrestling is also very interested in using Mistico and Ultimo Guerrero as the two focus points (aka Captains) for “Team Mexico” this August for the return of TNA Wrestling’s “World X Cup” Tournament.

Rumor has it that Black Tiger,Tiger Mask and Tanahashi will represent Team Japan. Harry Smith is rumor to be close to signing with TNA. With this X cup news,the possible return of Low Ki, Harry Smith and Kevin Steen to TNA,they will have the BEST roster in the world. The roster will be like the WCW roster from 1997.

exploding_head.jpg

Guest Timmer

The problem is that they never should had put Samoa Joe in the X divison to begin with...no go ahead and boo me.

If you are gonna leave him in there and you want soemone from the current roster to beat him, I suggest you use Alex Shelly. This whole bit with him taping all these matches. They could use the angle where he has been studying Samoa Joe and found a weakness...like an injury or something.

^Good idea. Shelley beats Joe because he's taping all of the matches and notices all of Joe's little flaws, and then takes advantage of them. Beautiful.

This may sound weird, but I'd kinda like it for AJ and Daniels to not beat Joe for a while.

It won't happen, but my personal choice for Team Mexico would be Mistico, Perrito Aguayo, and Los Guerreros (Rey Bucanero / Ultimo Guerrero). I think some of those are feuding with one another, though, so we won't see it. But fuck if it wouldn't produce some fun matches.

TNA really should bring in Perrito for a few matches. I'd like to see a Styles / Aguayo series myself.

Can Hector Garza work for TNA or is he banned from working in the USA all together because he got busted at the airport for drugs. Perros del Mal + Los Guerreros = buyrates.

I want to see Mistico vs Amazing Red.

Having Los Perros or Los Guerreros in TNA would be tremendous.

As far as I know, Garza is effectively banned from entering the U.S., at least to work. He basically fucked himself over there, which is a shame, considering he was in line for a good push, and he's a fairly decent worker.

I'd kind of like to see them bring Shocker back. With the rumors of Apolo possibly being given the boot soon, they need someone to plug into LAX. Shocker wouldn't be a bad choice. Anyone have any other ideas? Maybe Dos Caras Jr.

Having Los Perros or Los Guerreros in TNA would be tremendous.

As far as I know, Garza is effectively banned from entering the U.S., at least to work. He basically fucked himself over there, which is a shame, considering he was in line for a good push, and he's a fairly decent worker.

I'd kind of like to see them bring Shocker back. With the rumors of Apolo possibly being given the boot soon, they need someone to plug into LAX. Shocker wouldn't be a bad choice. Anyone have any other ideas? Maybe Dos Caras Jr.

Was Dos Caras the fellow that Cro Crop knocked the stuffing out of at the first Bushido?

Apolo > Shocker

Shocker showed me very little during his TNA matches. Apolo is at least big and semi-intimidating, and no matter how many times he jobs (to a certain extent), people still look good going over him.