TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFC 58: Canada vs USA

I don't know what outpiking you is, but I guess I'll take it.

I loved the main event live, though I was cheering for Rich and maybe that's why. I will watch it again and see if it still holds up on second viewing. Right now it's one of the best fights I've ever seen, and FOTY.

I might have to change my tune about GSP/Penn. Rewatching it, that first round was pretty even, IMO. Grappling-wise, neither guy did enough to warrant points in their favour, though Penn defended extremely well. GSP and Penn hit each other pretty much the same amount of times in regards to punches, which really surprised me on second-viewing, and GSP hit Penn with way more legkicks. Rush was more aggressive as he initated most of the exchanges between the two and controlled better than Penn did, but Penn did more damage. The thing which skewed it, which made it seem like a blow out, was the blood on GSPs face and the commentary playing it up and not giving Rush credit. I thought Rogan got over his Rush hatred after the Trigg fight, but I guess not, so they made it appear like Penn was fucking St. Pierre up when the reality was quite different.

My thoughts on the show:

Really really really good, and I still have not seen a UFC PPV I did not like. Not a single one of the 5 fights were boring, in fact all of them were really good.

Nate Marquardt was way more impressive than he was against Salaverry.

GSP vs Penn was my favorite fight of the show and I'm glad GSP won. I thought he definitely pressed Penn enough to win the 2nd and 3rd rounds as it seemed all Penn could do was counter, not get in any offense. GSP's huge slam was incredible. I cannot wait for GSP vs Hughes II.

Franklin vs Loiseau was way better than I expected it would end up after the first round. After the first I thought Franklin would knock him out sometime in the second, but to his credit Loiseau never gave up and actually lasted all five rounds. When Loiseau shocked Franklin and knocked him down in the 3rd (I think) my friends and I were going crazy as it seemingly came out of nowhere. Credit to Franklin for dominating the fight and Loiseau for not giving up.

$40 Canadian is the most I'll pay for these shows though. If the price goes up again to 45 or 50, I'm going to be done watching them (or at least only order once in a while). I don't understand why the price went up. One of the main reasons I stopped watching WWE is that the PPV's are damn expensive. Hopefully UFC doesn't keep raising the prices.

UFC was a money-losing venture for years for Zuffa, the first show they made money on was Ortiz/Shamrock, I believe. Right now they are trying to recoup the costs of those first few years. With that said, I wouldn't buy these shows if it were just me watching them at their current prices. It's hard to sell new fans on something that requires a relatively large investment. I don't want the UFC to become like boxing in that you have 3 fight shows that cost $50.

Going to bars and paying five bucks ain't bad, that's what I do. Though yesterday it was ten as they knew all the locals would want to come to see the Montreal'ers in action. Fucking extortion that. I'm gonna find a new place that doesn't try to fucking rape my wallet.

Penn/St. Pierre was worse sober. I have no clue how anyone could be any more than slightly satisfied with either guy's performance.

"WHOO! BJ showed poor cardio and gave the fight away, and even then GSP could barely mount any offense! WHOO!"

Hopefully a title bout rematch between the two will wash away the awful taste that fight left with me.

Does anyone have Rich's intro at UFC 58? That hasn't been in any vid I've seen, that was the most badass part in the fight. As soon as I saw the look in his eyes as he walked down the aisle I knew he was gonna tear shit up.

Btw, the dude also had a broken foot.

Franklin should move up in weight, he's proven to be the most dominate Middleweight problay of all time.

Time to move up in weight to give the fans the money fights.

Franklin should move up in weight, he's proven to be the most dominate Middleweight problay of all time.

He needs to fight Anderson and Lindland first.

He needs to fight Anderson and Lindland first.

Franklin Vs. Jeremy Horn, or Chuck Liddell is much more interesting.

While I agree that Franklin vs Liddell is a huge money match for the UFC I don't think it's nescessary at this point, seeing as how Franklin should get at least semi-tested at MW before moving back up.

I'm sorry, but I just think Franklin has proven everything he has to at Middleweight, and right now is head and shoulders above the rest of the talent at the MW, mostly because of his size gives him a great advantage.

Just think of the possible dream fights if he moves up to lightheavyweight:

Chuck Liddell

Jeremy Horn

Tito Ortiz

Forrest Griffin

Stephan Bonnar

There's too many people at MW for Franklin to move out of the division. Franklin had trouble with RIVERA a year and a few ago, so it's not like the guy is really that far beyond the competition. He had enough trouble with Tanner and Loiseau to keep him in the division.

I'm sorry, but I just think Franklin has proven everything he has to at Middleweight, and right now is head and shoulders above the rest of the talent at the MW, mostly because of his size gives him a great advantage.

Just think of the possible dream fights if he moves up to lightheavyweight:

Chuck Liddell

Jeremy Horn

Tito Ortiz

Forrest Griffin

Stephan Bonnar

Aside from "competitive spirit" why would he leave the division as champ and risk possible losses to some/most/all of the guys you listed? I think there's a good reason to drop a class and dominate, it's safer, the pay is just as good and the record stays solid. I don't think anyone really wants to see a dominant entertaining champ move up a class and possibly be mediocre just because there are "dream matches" to be had. If he gets KTFO'd in the first one it pretty much renders the rest moot. If this was boxing and the big money was in the higher weight class I could see the logic, but there's no reason for him to even consider going back to 205 right now. Similarly there's no reason for a guy like Matt Hughes to move up to 185 and he's been far more dominant in his weight class than Ace has been.

Franklin move up in weight??? He's only defended the title twice. Quarrey was a write-off. Loiseau almost dummied him in the 3rd round and Franklin was unable to finish him. There's an entire weight division out there still for him to prove he's better than. How can you suggest this realistically when he's only defended the belt twice?

Franklin move up in weight??? He's only defended the title twice. Quarrey was a write-off. Loiseau almost dummied him in the 3rd round and Franklin was unable to finish him. There's an entire weight division out there still for him to prove he's better than. How can you suggest this realistically when he's only defended the belt twice?

Because there are better fights for him at Lightheavyweight, and also MORE MONEY!

Guest Brian

There's only more money if he can renegotiate his contract and beat Liddell (and even Babalu or Ortiz). He's never going to be the man in that division like he is at middleweight. HUGE risk, big reward.

Franklin originally was a Lightheavyweight, it should be noted.

Actually, up until the Eastman fight, I beleive he competed as a small HW against the likes of Myers, Brink, Fulton, etc.

Just watched the main two fights bell to bell. Thoughts:

GSP/Penn wasn't nearly as bad as some (I'm looking at you, Lei) have been saying. I loved the fight. Rush's two takedowns in the third had me jumping up and pumping my fist. I think it was clear that Penn won the first, GSP the next two. I hate decisions though, so I wanted to see a clear-cut winner.

As far as clear-cut winners go in decisions, you don't get much more dominant than Rich Franklin on David Loiseau. Crow running pissed me off, because I knew that if he stayed in the one spot for more than a second that he was going to get knocked the fuck out. He showed a lot of heart with that left hook in the third, and by not giving up in the last two rounds. I wanted to see Rich knock him out. I NEEDED to see that. I was begging for it. Pity Crow ran like a bitch.